Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
AsimHanif
Thoughts on NYAikikai Summer Camp04

I haven't read anything on Camp despite looking. I thought it was quite informative. Besides seeing and meeting Doshu which was great, I got to see Tamura Sensei and Osawa Sensei who I am big fans of.
I had seen Doshu on tape and THOUGHT his aikido was very clean. That was definitely confirmed in person! I thought Doshu was quite humble and comfortable despite the enormous responsibility he has.
I can't even describe how impressive it was to see Tamura Sensei graciously taking ukemi for everyone he could. I believe he is in his early 70's and the man did forward rolls the length of the tatami and back effortlessly.
I was only there for Thursdays training but I got to see my former instructors like Irv Faust Sensei (Albany) and Clyde Takeguchi Sensei (MD).
I also noticed a difference in the presence of Shibata Sensei. Though still very powerful he seemed to be somewhat playful. He still exudes that samurai presence though!
Anyone else have any thoughts on the event?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Re: Thoughts on NYAikikai Summer Camp04

Sure! I have 8 pages of thoughts in my journal here on Aikiweb! <grin> Although I'm too much of a beginner to comment on the technical aspects, I thought it was an excellent camp. And I, too, thought Doshu seemed like a very nice person....and I thought his Aikido was awesome. It was interesting to me seeing all the different styles of Aikido, even within one umbrella organization.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 08-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
DanielR

I was there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Ozeki Sensei's class was very good, it woke me up in seconds Doshu showed very precise and clear technique, with many repetitions during demonstration, and with helpful comments, that I'm sure were appreciated, especially by lower ranked students. Sugano Sensei concentrated on ma'ai and timing during his weapons class. I was deeply impressed by Tamura Sensei, both on and off the mat. I'm sure I'm not yet in a position to fully appreciate his teaching. Sugano Sensei's taijutsu classes were excellent, also with detailed explanations, emphasis on timing, ma'ai and entering. I especially enjoyed the part where he had everybody attack everybody to practice fast reaction to ushiro kubishime. Yamada Sensei's class was very good as well. It was sort of familiar, but nevertheless mat time well spent. I thought Fujimaki Sensei's style, both of technique and teaching, was similar to that of Doshu. The paired stretches he added at the end of the class were most appreciated.

The closing ceremony was very touching, especially when Yamada Sensei spoke of Kanai Sensei.

The mat space was excellent, and rarely did it feel too crowded to complete the technique. The only real problem I noticed was that the mats shifted during the day, forming rather large gaps. I don't know whether anybody got injured due to that, but it would be great if this problem could be solved somehow in the future.

The organization was good, although I would allow more time between breakfast and the next class, so that all the participants could finish their breakfast at least 1.5 hour before the next class. At least this is my preference, but maybe not everybody is so particular about this.

Overall - a great, and unfortunately rare, experience. I just wish I could've attended the whole week.

Last edited by DanielR : 08-09-2004 at 02:47 PM.

Daniel
Old 08-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
AsimHanif

Karen I read your journal entries. Good stuff. I agree with you and Daniel about the level of instruction. I thought it was good that you had Shihan working in groups to elaborate on the technique shown. How many times in your life will you get the chance to have one of these Shihan as YOUR uke?
And yes, I loved what Jane Ozeki was showing. She definitely woke me up too. So much I'm going to try to get to her next seminar near me.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
BLangille

Quote:
I loved what Jane Ozeki was showing. She definitely woke me up too
Sounds like fun. What kind of things was she doing?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
AsimHanif

Various versions of morote tori. Her tai sabaki was practical, economical, and efficient. Very clean. You were able to see the many possibilities in each version of a particular technique.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
sharonbader
Dojo: Vancouver West Aikikai
Canada

I've been practicing aikido for 11 years. I would not have passed this opportunity up for anything! I'm really glad I went. Practicing with people from South America, Europe and the US was great!

Here are my pictures;
http://www.leelau.net/2004/nysummerc...summercamp.htm
Old 09-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #8
AsimHanif

Nice pics Sharon. I remember working with Kali a bit on Thursday.