Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #51
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: loyalty a lost virtue

Quote:
Brian Northrup wrote: View Post
Apparently i am wrong, though i dont in any way think so.
Maybe that is the hopeless romantic in me, i guess i just wish that this was the way things were. thanks all
Brian,
This is an area which you control... you decide what you think is honorable and do it. You don't do it because of some code you read about in a book. Most of the so-called "ideals" be it Bushido or the Code Chivalry or whatever are mythical in reality, just as the ideal of most religions are barely pursued by most of the folks who profess to believe in them. Actually, the folks who actually do manage to follow the ideals of their religious convictions we call Saints to denote the fact that they aren't like every body else.

If you think that loyalty is an important virtue, then be loyal; decide what that means to you and live up to your own ideal. Define it for yourself and don't worry about what others mean by it or whether they are or are not. That's not your problem.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #52
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Exactly...and if your teacher's impression of the art and your own impression of the art should develop in different ways, it would be perfectly reasonable, under those circumstances, to look for a teacher whose vision is more closely aligned with your own.

A wise caveat would be that no one's vision will be exactly the same as your own (if you are at all developed as an individual human being), and simply blowing around from teacher to teacher is not likely to be productive, either.

Best,
Ron
In my dojo, in my practice, we go from one partner to the next, all the while inhabiting our practice. We find a place of union in tai no henko were we look out, next to our partner, at the horizon that we both share. Practice with a teacher can be like that. They, a mountain guide pointing to the peak from a path that they have traveled a bit longer. Me, a wise follower who will certainly need to define my own relationship with that pass.

As they say in the 36 Chambers of the Shaolin: Master Killer, "Only one answer.....More Practice!!!"

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 05-04-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: type-o
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #53
Paul Schweer

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
Heck if all my students would find someone else I could go fishing!
And just as you settle into your secret spot, strangers appear...
asking you teach them how to fish.

Paul Schweer
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #54
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Man Oh Man Schweer way to go!! Burst a man's bubble, walk on his dreams. bring him back to reality. Just when I was getting comfortable with the early stages of senility you come along an wake me up. Maybe I will take a pocket full of rocks to throw at the interlopers.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #55
crbateman

Just don't use your katana to cut bait...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #56
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Just don't use your katana to cut bait...
This is the last off topic post I will make.

Hell Bateman we used a Katana to cut Saotome Sensei cake for his 70th birthday party a couple weeks ago. Only problem is I can't remember if I washed it after cutting wada the night before.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 05-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #57
crbateman

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
...we used a Katana to cut Saotome Sensei cake for his 70th birthday party a couple weeks ago...
There's something eerily symbolic in that... It's probably just as well that he's not noted for his contribution to the explosives industry...
Old 05-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #58
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
It's very important that people find the teacher that they want and commit but that choice can and does change over time. It's rather like Zeb training in which there are often three teachers, each handling a different stage of the progression.

I had a student who had been part of our organization since she started. She got up to Sandan with me. She met John Stevens Sensei through a seminar in which we hosted him and ended up deciding that she really wanted to follow him.

She wrote letters to Saotome Sensei and Ikeda Sensei thanking them for their many years of instruction, she thanked me as well, quite formally. Everything was above board and handled well. She now runs a dojo associated with Stevens Sensei but still comes by for seminars. I've been up to her place to teach as well.

This is a natural occurrence and when people handle things properly does not have to lead to bad feelings.
Spot on George!

Tony