Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
lbb
United_States
Aikido and arthritis

Turns out I've got rheumatoid arthritis, lucky me. I'm still in the stages of learning to manage this, and utterly determined (with my doctor's strong support) to remain as active as ever. Of course, this is easier said than done -- I've got a flare-up going on right now that's affecting both hands. Not good for typing, not good for aikido either -- although, paradoxically, training seems to help somehow. Are there any other folks out there who are managing RA? Anything special you do that allows you to continue to train?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
jim312uav
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Re: Aikido and arthritis

I was diagnosed with RA about 8 years ago, at the time it was so bad I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs. When I was diagnosed a lot of people said that was it I had to quit aikido. But people like my Doctor thought anything that kept me active and moving was a good thing.

Just take it easy when you have a flare up. Let your training partners know that you need to go slow. For me when I have a flare up I am unable to roll or do any suri-waza. So I try and focus on feeling my partner's center instead of powering through like I have a bad habit of doing.

Oh and be patient with yourself. I know for me I had a real hard time when I was diagnosed because it took awhile before we found meds that got the RA under control for me.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

Always be patient w/ yourself and focus on what you CAN do.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
hkronin
Dojo: Seikeikan
United_States

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. I have psoriatic arthritis which is very similar to RA, as it is an autoamune disease that inflames the joints... the difference in mine is it attacks the skin as well, hence the psoriatic part.

I first began having severe symptoms early in my karate career, and long before I began Aikido. I have been dealing with the disease since 1994, and it has ranged everywhere from being in a wheelchair, to being able to compete in basketball and hockey. I have had some joint deformation in my toes and smaller joints, but it has not prevented me from training.

Like you, I seem to have done better when I'm exercising and training, rather than being sedentarty. I have also noticed that diet, sleep, and stress play a big role in flare-ups for me.

I have taked many different medications over the years including methotrexate, prednisone, humira, and of course many NSAIDS. With limited success.

My rheamatologist finally put me on Remicade, and after my 1st treatement, my symptoms were all but gone. I have only been on the drug for about 2 months now, and so far so good. Maybe you can ask your Rheumatologist about it.

Of course what has worked for me may not work for someone else, but there do seem to be many trends among arthritis sufferers.

Good luck to you, and keep training. I believe aikido training can be very beneficial to you. It has been for me.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

Welcome to the club Mary.
In addition to the great advice already given I suggest "wrapping" up affected joints. This helps to prevent too much pain while taking ukemi. Kote gaeshi on an arthritic wrist can really HURT! Immobilizing the joint a bit by wrapping helps me to train through it. Especially important at seminars.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Tijani1150

well one of the senior lady instructors in my dojo has arthritis and she is there in the dojo every day so she seems to deal with it just fine I think wearing arhtritis knee braces helped her a lot thats what she told me while transporting me to the hospital on Tuesday after my knee dislocation how ironic is that

anyway I will ask her for more details when I get to walk again and go to the dojo.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Are there any other folks out there who are managing RA? Anything special you do that allows you to continue to train?
Yep, got RA and AARP.
Warm up, don't over do it, and keep the Tiger Balm handy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
yosushi
Dojo: AFKA
France

I have arthritis in my left foot since i was 15 (consequence of several accidents always on this foot when I was a kid), and found that exercising (I started aikido !) and taking glucosamine/chondritine pills also helped -

If the pain comes back ( weather change and stress are good triggers), I take glucosamine for 3-4 weeks ( I see results in days) -
There are many different brands - some putting very little in their pills ( or glucosamine/chondritine that cannot be absorbed easily by the body ), and some good & expensive ones.

I read on the net that they can help rebuild or decrease the rate of deterioration of the cartilage/joint.
I hope this can help you. It certainly helped me -
Massage / kiatsu also helped -
I hope to improve my kiatsu to help myself more as I get older.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
lbb
United_States

Belated thanks to all for your responses. I have my good days and my bad days -- on the bad days, the fear is worse than the pain: fear that I'm going to lose everything that I love to do. I wanted to hear that it's not inevitable and that other people are managing to go on with their lives. It makes me appreciate the good days more, and get more out of them -- on low-pain or no-pain days, I feel like there's nothing I can't do. I'm on the mat with a bunch of other imperfect bodies: on any given day, someone's got some red tape showing somewhere. We all just do our best, and everyone understands.

Thanks again,
Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
John Bernhard
Dojo: Aikido of East Alabama
United_States

Hey Mary, as a Nurse I would tell you to keep up with it as keeping those joints moving is so important and where else does one do lots of joint movement but in Aikido. The other thing you may want to look at is how much stress is in your life? Work, home, school if theres any, kids, husband, etc. They are connecting autoimmune disorders with stress more and more each day. I have a sensei, Dennis Hooker, to be exact who is afflicted by an autoimmune disorder. As I understand it he is able to control this by daily meditations and does so religiously. Maybe that is something to consider then you could not only meditate and become more centered but then you could still do Aikido and the meditation i'm sure would only help strengthen your understanding of principles, etc. Maybe??? Hope that helps.

John
Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
Joseph Madden
Canada

As someone who has suffered from arthritis of the hip since I was 18,
I can happily say that since training in aikido I have been able to skip the anti-inflammatory medications completely. I was told by a physician 10 years ago to lay off the medications and start an exercise regimen that would free me from drugs. Thankfully I followed her advice eventually. Thankfully I started aikido.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
lbb
United_States

Just checking in again -- things have been going very well. Aikido really does seem to help, not just in working the range of motion of the joints, but it does seem to help release...something. Don't want to get too ethereal about that, but I feel that it's there. I've also switched over to circumin (turmeric extract) and ginger, which were recommended by a friend who practices traditional Chinese medicine -- his hope was that I could reduce the NSAIDs, and in fact I've been able to do without them altogether.

I know that it won't always be smooth sailing, but this is a huge change -- not just in the daily pain, but in what I can see in the future. There's a statistic out there that 60% of people with rheumatoid arthritis are disabled to the point where they can't work any more by ten years after diagnosis. that's a scary number, but -- and maybe I'm tempting fate -- I'm now confident that I will not be in that 60%. The pharmaceutical industry is looking to make a buck out of RA, like many other diseases, and that's scary too -- the side effects of the drugs, their cost, and the way that this has become the predominant solution to everything under the sun. I feel very lucky to have alternatives. And I feel especially lucky to have my dojo, where I'm welcome on the mat however gimpy I am -- and, largely because I am welcome on the mat, I'm a lot less gimpy than I used to be.

Thanks so much to everyone here for your encouragement!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Always glad to hear of progress.
Its always nice to feel welcomed.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Just checking in again -- things have been going very well. Aikido really does seem to help, not just in working the range of motion of the joints, but it does seem to help release...something.
Endorphins.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Best wishes to you Mary, and stick with it!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)