Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Question Aikido as therapy?

Hi all!
Another side of training I've been contemplating lately...I've been in Aikido about six years now and during that time I've experienced the passing of my father, sister and best friend. Now, Aikido already opens me to many feelings, but at those times the range of emotions was incredible, the inner movement and processing!
I've been wondering if, anywhere, Aikido is offered as movement therapy (yes, we're doing that already), primarily or people practice with that foremost. I know it's part and parcel of the overall experience, but it seems that if focused on could be an awesome therapy.
What think you all?

~~Paula~~
Old 08-28-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
Paul Smith
Hi Paula - first of all, I am sorry for your many losses, and I wish you well in your journey to cope.

I do know of "aiki extensions," a forum linked here in Aikiweb's weblinks portal/forums, or directly:

http://www.aiki-extensions.org/forums/

As of yet, nothing posted on movement therapy, but there exists a thread for related topics - maybe a post there might elicit some further information.

I also know that a form of movement/performance, "contact improvisation," was begun, in part, by aikido practitioners. Having done some of the training, as an art form it is an interesting way to develop sensitivity to other artists; I think by extension, without too much of a reach, it could be applied to the purpose of movement therapy.

As a former actor, I spent many years in a movement-based theater company and the work we did bordered on what I would call "movement therapy," in that it was deeply personal work, expressed through improvisational movement and word, and framed into performance. Personal stories,woven with others' personal stories, into a cohesive performance over the course of a year or better. What I learned there resonates still. Another possible avenue to look into...

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Paul

Paul Smith
Old 08-28-2002, 10:37 AM   #3
Erik
Re: Aikido as therapy?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
Hi all!

Another side of training I've been contemplating lately...I've been in Aikido about six years now and during that time I've experienced the passing of my father, sister and best friend. Now, Aikido already opens me to many feelings, but at those times the range of emotions was incredible, the inner movement and processing!

I've been wondering if, anywhere, Aikido is offered as movement therapy (yes, we're doing that already), primarily or people practice with that foremost. I know it's part and parcel of the overall experience, but it seems that if focused on could be an awesome therapy.

What think you all?
This gets touched on by a lot of folks and I do mean a lot. I don't know of anyone calling it movement therapy per se, but I'd be stunned if there were not several doing exactly that. You might look into Wendy Palmer's work. She gets close to this but I don't think she refers to her work directly as therapy.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Question Somatic Education

As Paul mentioned, take a close look at Aiki Extensions. You might be especially interested in the projects page.

The people listed in Incorporating aikido ideas into training programs in somatic education. (Heckler, Liden and Palmer) are authors and you might enjoy reading their books, although not all of their books relate directly to movement therapy.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-28-2002, 02:16 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Welcome to Aikido beyond the mats. I am active with Aiki-Extensions. I do not know of anyone's direct intent on specifically movement therpay, but I can certainly see the correlation.

Perhaps you would like to join and share with us. We have a conference coming up in October in Chicago.

Perhaps a few of us can colaborate on an article. Interested?

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-29-2002, 02:01 AM   #6
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
Hi all!

I must say that this link is very interesting for me.

I am a physiotherapy student and have had some lectures about our last year of study in which, after doing 2 training periods, we can choose the third training period.

I just finished the first year and still have a long way to go (it's a 4 year for first degree) but I did think of trying to somehow do something interesting with aikido.

our teachers said they are open to creativity- people are doing movements in water, physiotherapy with horse riding etc.

I have not looked too deep into this since it's still a long way off, and I still need to progrece in my aikido training, but seeing this forum brought the idea back again.

If anyone has information on useing aikido with physiotherapy, I would really be happy to hear about it.

We can also go abroad for this training period if this does not excist in Israel.

Thank you for any information,

Anat
Old 08-29-2002, 03:38 AM   #7
Anat Amitay
Israel
Hi again!

I just entered the site (aikiextension).

It is a very interesting site, but I can't register for some reason. Can someone help and explain if anything specific is supposed to be done there? Another thing, I wanted to read more about the projects they have there, but it's not linked to anywhere. How can I get information about the topics there?

Thank you in advance

Anat
Old 08-29-2002, 10:50 AM   #8
tedehara

Hi Anat,

You're listed as their newest registered member, so you must have done something right!

You can get the email address of whoever you want by clicking to the affilates page then clicking their names for their profile. You can download the various newsletters to find out what the affiliates have been doing.

If you look at the events page, you'll see there is a conference coming up in Chicago. You can email for more info.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-30-2002, 08:12 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States
Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
If you look at the events page, you'll see there is a conference coming up in Chicago. You can email for more info.
Anyone here going? I'll be there.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:48 PM   #10
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
Re: Aikido as therapy?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
I know it's part and parcel of the overall experience, but it seems that if focused on could be an awesome therapy.

What think you all?
Hello,

I have taught a kids classes as well as adult classes. At one point in time we had a children's physiatrist sending kids to us as a form of therapy. We had kids that were ADD, ADHD, and ones that had problems with other kids because of traumatic experiences in their life.

Your Uke

Ben

P.S. That made for some really crazy classes because I am ADD and the other guy that was teaching was ADD. Most classes were ADD and ADHD classes. (not on purpose)

The one who knows the least knows it the loudest.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:37 PM   #11
tedehara

Quote:
Lynn Seiser (SeiserL) wrote:
Anyone here going? I'll be there.

Until again,

Lynn
I plan to be there. Let's get together!

Unfortunately, one of our guys is giving a presentation. That will eat up my time, so I probably can't do the article thing with you.

About Ki
About You
Old 09-12-2002, 06:07 AM   #12
Anat Amitay
Israel
Thank you Ted for the information. I guess my problem is that I have an e- mail at home but can spend most of my time on the net at work and I needed something that was sent to my e- mail.

I wish I could be at the conference but lack of money and studying on the time this will take place will prevent me from getting there...

I hope that they will print some info about what took place there later on.

Thank you again and I will be happy to get any information about putting aikido into use for phisyotherapy needs.

Anat