Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2001, 03:00 PM   #1
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
I just recieved my very first Hakama.
It is the 8 ounce Poly/Cotton Twill job from Bu Jin and was wondering, what is the proper care for this Hakama?? Intructions on folding were included, but cleaning intructions were not. Also, tips on keeping the pleats sharp would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

C. Martin

Old 03-30-2001, 03:26 PM   #2
akiy

I used to wear the hakama that you mention but these days usually wear Bu Jin Design's 100% cotton hakama or an indigo, cotton hakama from Iwata.

As far as cleaning goes, I usually only wash it about once every four to six months, if even that, really. I fill a tub part way with warm water, put in a bit of detergent, and swish the hakama around for a while, then I rinse it. I hang it up to dry afterwards for about a day then iron it to get the pleats back in nicely.

As far as keeping the pleats nice during day-to-day wearing of the hakama, I think the secret really is in learning how to fold the hakama correctly. Although the instructions included with the Bu Jin hakama are pretty good, there are minute nuances that you need to be aware of, I think.

I start folding my hakama with the front down. I line up the back pleat then flip the hakama over to the front. I then work my way from the back pleat (all the way "inside" the hakama toward the back) and make sure that all of the "inside" pleats are in place. Most people (including myself for a while) just fold the front pleats and forget about the ones in the back... One other thing you can check is to make sure the "crotch" flap which is, actually, on the inside of the hakama (if you lay out the hakama with the front up and lift up the front panel, you should see the "crotch" flap right inside) should "lay" down nicely, too.

I was taught the above by someone who, incidentally, was in charge of ironing and folding the hakama at Bu Jin Design.

It's much easier to show than type out, unfortunately. I'll be happy to show you if we ever bump into each other...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-30-2001, 04:20 PM   #3
sceptoor
Thanks for your advice. Should I wash it first before wearing it the first time??

"It's much easier to show than type out, unfortunately. I'll be happy to show you if we ever bump into each other..."

That would be great, but I live in Tampa and unfortunately don't get out of the state very much, period.

I'll ask my sensei or some of the other students tonight about the inside pleats, I'm sure somebody has to know that trick at my dojo and would save my money on a plane ticket to have you teach me.

Thanks again for any more advice.

C. Martin

Old 03-30-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
akiy

As far as washing it goes, since you got a poly/cotton blend, you shouldn't have to as it shouldn't shrink as much as, say, the 100% cotton hakama.

Incidentally, Bu Jin does provide the option of selling you a 100% cotton hakama in a size that would fit you without washing it. This, of course, means that you either have to wear the hakama without ever washing it regularly or that you always take it to a dry cleaners (who, I believe, use a process that does not shrink cotton)...

Tampa, huh? Never been to Florida, but that doesn't mean I never will...

-- Jun

Old 03-30-2001, 04:34 PM   #5
Jim23
Hey,

Try these. Only one about cleaning, but you have a new hakama!!!

http://www.net1.net/~ryoko/hakama.htm
http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-69179/Aik...ml/Hakama.html
http://www.loyola.edu/maru/hakama.html
http://www.flakmag.com/misc/hakama.html

Jim23

[Edited by Jim23 on March 30, 2001 at 04:50pm]

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 03-30-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Erik
Quote:
akiy wrote:
As far as cleaning goes, I usually only wash it about once every four to six months, if even that, really. I fill a tub part way with warm water, put in a bit of detergent, and swish the hakama around for a while, then I rinse it. I hang it up to dry afterwards for about a day then iron it to get the pleats back in nicely.
Taking care of a hakama is pretty simple. Jun makes it way too hard. Find a washer, throw some detergent in, follow it with the hakama and whatever else needs washing. Take your best guess as to a good temperature. I've tried many variations, all seem to work pretty well. When it's done, find a dryer and throw the hakama in along with whatever else needs drying.

Be sure to press the start button. It helps to do that during the washing part as well.

There's a bonus to my technique. If you wash your new hakama with some really dirty white clothes. You will get less dirty black or blue clothes. Yes!

Bet you guys think I'm kidding.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:42 PM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Erik wrote:
Taking care of a hakama is pretty simple. Jun makes it way too hard. Find a washer, throw some detergent in, follow it with the hakama and whatever else needs washing. Take your best guess as to a good temperature. I've tried many variations, all seem to work pretty well. When it's done, find a dryer and throw the hakama in along with whatever else needs drying.
The above works, of course. However, I've heard that if you try that (using a washer and dryer) with a 100% cotton hakama from Bu Jin (like one of my hakama), you'll end up with one of those "stone washed" hakama. Admittedly, some people like them, but I prefer the traditional look myself...

-- Jun

Old 03-30-2001, 08:35 PM   #8
Devlin
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
Quote:
sceptoor wrote:
I just recieved my very first Hakama.
It is the 8 ounce Poly/Cotton Twill job from Bu Jin and was wondering, what is the proper care for this Hakama?? Intructions on folding were included, but cleaning intructions were not. Also, tips on keeping the pleats sharp would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Bu Jin's cotton/poly blend hakama are perma-press. If you have an aiki-style koshita, you can wash and dry the hakama as you would any other perma-press item.

If you have a hakama with a traditional koshita, I recommend washing it by hand as others have described. The rigid koshita will break down quickly due to the agitation of the washer and heat of the dryer.

The best way to keep the pleats sharp is to fold your hakama carefully after each use.

Mark Wise
Old 03-30-2001, 09:34 PM   #9
sceptoor
Thanks!!

Thanks, you guys are very helpful!!

Keep the advice coming!!

Devlin, I have a traditional koshita, I thought about getting the Aiki style, but I eventually went with traditional because, well, it's traditional and I felt I should get used to it before trying the Aiki style for my next hakama.

But anyways, I followed the tag that says it's machine washable and low dryer, but I think I will hang it dry. (it's in the washer now as I'm typing), as far as the koshita breaking down, I hope washing it in the machine just this once won't hurt. (famous last words?)

Any more advice from anyone??

C. Martin

Old 03-31-2001, 10:33 AM   #10
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Talking

As for the pleats: I (and many people I know) just sewed them at the edges. Some do it full lenght, other just the first or last 10cm. It helps a lot to keep them nice and sharp, especially if you want to wash your hakama, and the sewing is invisible.

Hope that helps,
Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 03-31-2001, 11:08 AM   #11
Erik
Re: Thanks!!

Quote:
sceptoor wrote:
But anyways, I followed the tag that says it's machine washable and low dryer, but I think I will hang it dry. (it's in the washer now as I'm typing), as far as the koshita breaking down, I hope washing it in the machine just this once won't hurt. (famous last words?)

Any more advice from anyone?? [/b]
On a more serious vien. I really have done those things to my bujin hakama and it really does hold the pleats. Don't remember the material (probably duck) but it wasn't the cotton. It should be fine.