Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States
Ai symbol William M. Reed

Hello to everyone at Aikiweb!

My name is William M. Reed, I go by Bill, and I am NOT the same William Reed that writes books on Aikido -- not yet, anyway.

I should have joined the list several years ago, but never really had anything worthwhile to say. Actually, I still don't, but I was trying to contact some former aikido friends through the list, and couldn't until I joined.

I have studied Aikido for more than 16 years, though the last several years have been pretty sporadic. Having two children and a wife at home has pushed my aikido to the bottom of priorities fro some time. Except for teaching the children's class at my dojo for the past 10 years or so, I've been mostly a once a week practicer (practitioner? -- whatever).

That all changed a few weeks ago when the senior instructor at my dojo told me it was about time that I get my Shodan test over with.

"gulp"

<cue flashback graphics and sound effects>
I had been coasting along pretty much below radar until two years ago at a seminar. Ikeda Sensei was at our dojo (Columbus Aikikai), and our sensei, Frank Hreha, began to study me. Hreha Sensei has been traveling for the last several years, since he retired from his full-time job. He hadn't been to the dojo in some time.

At a break he strolled over the look at the wall where the students' names and ranks are displayed. He looked back at me, and then at the wall. "Second kyu, Sensei," I offered. He frowned and shook his head, walking away.

"Oh great," I thought. "I'm going to get a reprimand for dragging my behind, instead of training more often."

Imagine my surprise the following day when he approached and said instead, "Congratulations."

"For what?" I asked.

"You're 1st kyu."

"Really?! Thank you, Sensei!"

<return to real time, present day>

Little did I know at the time that the promotion would put it into peoples' minds that I should now move on to being Shodan. So here I am less than a week away from my Shodan test, nervous in many ways, but knowing that really, it's all good. Worst case scenario: I fail and Ikeda Sensei tells me exactly what I need to fix before I test again.

So, send me some ki next Sunday, if you have any to spare. I look forward to chatting with you all on the list!

Bill

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 09-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany
Re: William M. Reed

Hi Bill, good luck for your test and welcome to the forum! I am testing for shodan in 3,5 weeks too, and I am scard sh**less. Enjoy your test!

Regards,
Sonja
Old 09-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
wmreed

United_States

Best of Luck! I'll try to send you some ki!

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

You don't get asked to test if you are not ready for the rank. You obviously showed it in your practice. Just do what you already know how to do.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
Sonja2012

Germany

Quote:
William M. Reed wrote:
Best of Luck! I'll try to send you some ki!
Thanks, likewise
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
dyffcult
United_States

Hey Bill,

Here comes some ki your way. I bribed the FedEx guy extra to deliver it Sunday morning !

Best of luck and know that if your sensei has faith in you, you also should have faith :-)

Brenda
Old 09-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
wmreed

United_States
Ai symbol Re: William M. Reed

Quick wrap up here. Tested at Bloomington IN Univ. on Saturday afternoon, finishing kumi tachi and kumi jo on Sunday.

Survived testing though I was nearly out of air for randori. Surprise, surprise when Ikeda said, "Don't stand in one place. Move around more. Go again." I thought I'd die. But I didn't.

I passed, and so did my dojo-mate, Tim, and another new shodan named David. I saw an awesome Nidan test by Eric! Watching the tests was very different. I felt much "suckier" than they looked, and was glad I passed though everyone said I did well. Perspective, I guess. I hope. :-)

Thank you to the folks in Bloomington, IN! You've got a great aikido club! I will be back for future seminars, I hope.

Thanks to anyone who sent me their ki! It arrived just in time, I think.

Bill

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
Old 09-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
dyffcult
United_States

CONGRATS WILLIAM!!!

Enjoy the recognition of your hard work and dedication! :-)

Brenda
Old 09-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

good lucks ....
em

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
Sonja2012

Germany

Congratulations!!!!