Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Foreign Language Aikido Discussions > German

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Stretching/Meridians

Stretching/Meridians
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings to all,
Please excuse the use of a translation program. For this reason I have provided the English version also.

Grüße zu allen,
Entschuldigen Sie bitte den Gebrauch von einem Übersetzung Programm. Für diesen Grund habe ich die englische Version auch zur Verfügung
gestellt.

Ich tue etwas persönliche Forschung in das Ausdehnen und spezifisch
"die ausdehnenden Meridiane". Ich habe eine Anzahl von Artikeln auf dem Internet und etwas
interessante Informationen "vom Acu-Yoga" gefunden, das
scheint, Yoga asanas mit Shiatsu zu kombinieren; Ich warte, daß ein Buch in dieses mehr schaut.

Ein Grund für mein Interesse ist die Art der Vorwärmung, die wir an
unserem Dojo tun, der viele "-" in den Vorwärmung Tätigkeiten mit
regelmäßigem enthältwestliche Ausdehnungen. Ich stufe sie diese (Do-In) da sie in den japanischen "Gesundheit"
Büchern erscheinen, die ich gefunden habe ein, und seien Sie in vielen Weisen, die zu dem westlichen athletischen
Menschen Verfahren sehr unterschiedlich sind, der, als Trainer Ich habe mit Athleten verwendet.

Während der letzten Jahre haben wir mehr Vorwärmung und weiche
Techniken am Anfang unserer zwei Stunde Kategorien getan. In diesen Vorwärmung Perioden tun wir unsere Standardvorwärmung und
tun dann einige "weiche" Techniken, wenn, anstatt, zu einem "throw" zu
gehen, einsteigen wir in eine Ausdehnung für unser uke.

Diese, die wir von Asai Sensei auf seinen Besuchen hier erlernten.

Ich suche nach Informationen von jedermann, das diese Art der
ausdehnenden Tätigkeit und der Ähnlichkeiten zwischen diesen und
Yoga tutMittagsausdehnungen.

Ich wunderte mich, wenn heraus dort im Ozean von Aikido Wissen
jedermann mir mit etwas Info oder Leitungen helfen könnte.

Danke

Andrew Barron
Calgary Aikikai

I am doing some personal research into stretching and specifically "Meridians Stretching". I have found a number of articles on the internet and some interesting information from "Acu-Yoga" which seems to combine yoga asanas with Shiatsu; I am waiting for a book to look into this more.

One reason for my interest is the type of warm-up we do at our dojo which incorporates many "Do-In" warm-up activities with regular/western stretches. I will classify them these (Do-In) since they appear in Japanese "health" books I have found, and are in many ways very different from the western athletic type procedure that, as a coach, I have used with athletes.

Over the past few years we have been doing more warm-up and soft techniques at the beginning of our two hour classes. In these warm-up periods we will do our standard warm-up and then do some "soft" techniques when instead of going to a throw we will go into a stretch for our uke.

These we learnt from Asai Sensei on his visits here.

I am looking for information from anyone who does this type of stretching activity and the similarities between these and yoga/meridian stretches.

I was wondering if out there in the ocean of Aikido knowledge could anyone help me with some info or leads.

Thanks

Andrew

Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Stretching/Meridians

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote:
I am looking for information from anyone who does this type of stretching activity and the similarities between these and yoga/meridian stretches.

I was wondering if out there in the ocean of Aikido knowledge could anyone help me with some info or leads.

Thanks
Andrew

Well the meridian stretching we do in the Ki Society as part of our warmups in Aikido classes is known as Makko-ho .
So you might want to google on that.
It's a practice that Tohei Sensei has been doing for decades and appears also in the Tempukai (Tempu Nakamura, founder of Japanese Yoga).

also common to kiatsu which is also known as Yuki

Craig
Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

Thanks Craig for your reply

"Well the meridian stretching we do in the Ki Society as part of our warm-ups in Aikido classes is known as Makko-ho ."

Yes I should probably correct myself that Makko-ho is what we do. I think, although I could be mistaken that Makko-ho would fall within the general domain of Do-In.

I have found a great deal on this in the literature and on the Internet.

"It's a practice that Tohei Sensei has been doing for decades and appears also in the Tempukai (Tempu Nakamura, founder of Japanese Yoga)."

"also common to kiatsu which is also known as Yuki"

I have Tohei Sensei's book "Kiatsu" and it does address warm-up and meridians for Kiatsu but what I am looking for is the more dynamic stretches such as a movement into a technique where the Nage , instead of throwing the Uke takes him/her into a stretch, and if those work the meridians to promote the flow and alleviate blockages of Ki

Do you discuss meridians in your Dojo?I have only visited a Ki Society Dojo once.

Yours

Andrew
Old 07-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
Juana Hernández
Cool Re: Stretching/Meridians

Hallo!
Du muss mir entschuldigen....mein Deutsch nicht das beste ist!
Naturlich ist das ein gute Ubung fur mich, aber will ich nicht hoffen, dass ich zu viele Fehler mache.
Dein Text interessiert mich sehr, weil seit 6 oder 7 Jahre alt bin, mache ich Yoga.
Ich mein Unterricht mit meinem Vater genommen habe und das ist der Grund, warum das Yoga sehr familiar fur mich ist.
Ich mache Aikido seit 18 Monaten und ich finde, dass sehr toll und praktisch ist die Rucken strecken zu konnen.
Das Ukemi und die "Wurft", im allgemeinen, leicht und elegant sind, wann du viele oder etwas Biegsamkeit hast.
Ich denke, dass Aikido und Yoga eine gutes Verbindung machen. Ich mochte uber diesen Thema grundlich untersuchen...
Schliesslich bin ich kaum am Anfangspunkt!
Bis bald!
Juana
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hey Andrew,

I remember practicing something similar to this when I did some Aikikai training under Clyde Takeguchi of Capital Aikikai in Silver Spring, MD. He would take us through techniques that ended up in a back stretch most times. The techniques used were mainly Sokumen, Irimi Nage and Shi Ho Nage, with Uke relaxing into the back stretch.

From my personal experience in doing Shiatsu, Makko Ho and Qigong, I realised that these stretches in Aikido had some close relation to meridian theory. In many cases an elongation of the Conception Vessel meridian, and those of the upper chest area (Lung, Heart etc.) was revealed in the case of the back stretches, allowing blockages to be cleared through correct breathing.

In Shodokan we do a cool down stretch (I've seen this done in Judo too) where 2 people stand back to back and one person pulls the other's arms forward and above his head and sinks his weight, flattening his back. This way the other person is lying atop the other's back, stretched out along his partner's spine. This is great for releasing blockages in the meridians along the back, especially the Bladder and Kidney meridians in my experience.

Not pretending to be a professional at this, but these have been a few observations that I have made during training. Hope it helps.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca