Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Voices of Experience

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
GeneC
United_States
Aikido and Tao Te Ching

Hello, newby beginner here with a question. I've been reading and Lao Tzu and pondering Tao and relating it to my understanding of Aikido (which is very little at this pont).

I was floored ( and this will be my life long pursuit) by verse 42: "All beings support Yin and embrace Yang and the interplay between these two forces fill the Universe. Yet, only at the still, between breathing in and breathing out, can one capture these two in perfect harmony."

My question is, what does this mean? I Mean,does it mean what the face value says? Is this true? I feel this relates directly to Aikido, but I just can't seem make the connection.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
GeneC
United_States
Re: Aikido and Tao Te Ching

I don't mean, 'what does it mean', per se, I mean, what does it mean to you? I'm mainly wanting to know how it applies to Aikido.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center

"All beings support Yin and embrace Yang and the interplay between these two forces fill the Universe. Yet, only at the still, between breathing in and breathing out, can one capture these two in perfect harmony."

The first thing I would note is that translations of the Tao Te Ching can vary wildly. I would encourage you to look into a variety of interpretations to get more perspectives on what was originally written.

That said, the above quote is compelling on its own merits. Aikido is very much about finding a balance and right relation between Yin and Yang. As for the second part, all things that turn have a center of stillness. All things that move on a line have a source or origin of movement, and that is also a ground of stillness. All levers have a fulcrum. These are common, everyday mundane truths, and very much germane to an understanding of the mechanics of aikido.

You've asked a very penetrating question, and I will hazard an opinion that much mainstream aikido is not taught according to the above statement. By looking very deeply into your own question, I believe you can arrive at a better, fuller understanding of what aikido can be.

Finally, see also T.S. Eliot's "Four Quartets:"

"At the still point of the turning world. Neither flesh nor fleshless;
Neither from nor towards; at the still point, there the dance is"

Ross
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
GeneC
United_States

Thankyou sir, that is exactly what I was looking for. Even tho I'm new to Aikido, I've been studying martial arts for almost 30 yrs now, starting with "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" , of course, by Bruce Lee. One of his things was to endeavor to get ahead of the curve and intercept the attack with an attack. Most all martial arts call for some form of mind/bodyspiritual awakening/alignment. I've studied several 'Taos', but have never heard the exact spot where Ki/Chi exists described like this before. Domo arigato gozaimashita.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

"Yet, only at the still, between breathing in and breathing out,..."

This is where Aikido happens.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Walk on the edge and balance on the sharpest of blades.
Life-or-death loses its meaning for living is a balance of both.
Act or don't act.
Attack or defend.
Still your mind.
Don't worry what lies on either side.
Thinking of what might be - you will lose your balance and fall off.
Pay attention - Senshin.
Pay attention - Tsushin.
Pay attention - Zanshin.
Balance on the sharpness of the blade.

Rock