Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #76
DH
United_States
Re: Chen Bing Clip

Hi Dan
To be fair, I offered some critiques, some vidoes of chen, some commentary on why the vidoes look different, some comments on Joes and what he was lacking...
I got nothing back by way of actual discussion. All I got was attacks and requests for a Job application resume from an attorney with nothing to say-and nothing to show. Thanks for the support guys, but what aout some opinion of the videos?
So Dan, what did you see in the various videos of everyone?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #77
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hey Bud
No offense taken, but I'm giving you the rasberries anyway.

I could care less about videos, and have no interest in doing them whatsoever.
There is no "void" for me walking-the- walk that I can see. Why? It does not require me being vetting by you or anyone else. Every time one of you touched me, it satisfied you. It doesn'tchange what i was doing to walk that walk twenty years go, ten, or last week. Nor will affect what I will do tommorrow, next year, or ten years from now. I am a training madman, I was training in 8 hour sessions long before aikiweb or E-Budo and don't expect to change any time soon.

If I see people in front of me-I wire frame them and fix them and show them ways to improve their structure and move, If I see a video its the same thing. I actually avoid most all videos on the net and commenting on them. You just happened to see ones I replied to.
If folks are confident enought to call themselves teachers, or experts, and charge money for giving technical expert advice- then whats the beef? Joe here is a great example. If you tell people you are doing internal arts and you look like that-people need to know how that looks to others they know have real skills. Or in the case of him stating to Mark M. "I will teach you any weapon you want to know!" Thankfully some things speak for themselves.
In Aikido if teachers claim expertise in aiki, but are either a mess or seriously lacking, someone needs to cry foul. I think we have had quite enough nonsense foisted on us as MA students. The last people to complain should be those who self proclaim their expertise and charge for it with the tacit agreement that they will help YOU improve.
I make no such claims. I just help where and when I can. Seems to be working.
So consider, that way back William, I never asked to be vetted in the first place-you fellas more or less pressed for it.
I haven't changed.
Thanks raspberries go well with cream. All of what you said makes perfect sense but again I am not speaking for the folks who will get the lucky chance to work with you and to be honest there is only one of you. I have no doubt that when one of your top students visits me( as he promised when we talked A good Dude by the way) that he will represent you well.

Nope Dan I am talking about the folks here who will never be able to visit you....Look at it this way... We have on film over the last almost one hundred years every top Martial Artist and their expression. We talk about them all the time, and reference what they recorded on film. Doing so has helped thousands of folks understand them and their Art...

Why not you?

That is what I am asking you about and hopefully you'll change your mind one day.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 08-25-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #78
DH
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Nope Dan I am talking about the folks here who will never be able to visit you....Look at it this way... We have on film over the last almost one hundred years every top Martial Artist and their expression. We talk about them all the time, and reference what they recorded on film. Doing so has helped thousands of folks understand them and their Art...

Why not you?

That is what I am asking you about and hopefully you'll change your mind one day.

William Hazen
Well, every top martial artist in the world should probably be on film I guess. That's why I'm not. I'll let ya know when I have something worth filiming. Don't wait up.
In the mean time -from what I have seen-I wish more "top martial artists of the world" would reconsider the estimation of their own efforts.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #79
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
I have no doubt when one of your top students promised to visit me that he will represent you well.
Jesus William! I sincerely hope you were not referring to me. I promised to visit you, and I will happily keep that promise. However, I am not in any way one of Dan's top students. I'm planning to go train there tomorrow. That kind of talk might get me a beating.

About the OP video. I see an awesome central pivot at 33-35. I notice his trunk twist without his right hip going around. I assume there is an aiki-age set up on his right hand side. I was surprised that his head was not so straight at 34. His ability to receive into his body with his bent knees is a lot better than mine!

Rob

Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #80
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Jesus William! I sincerely hope you were not referring to me. I promised to visit you, and I will happily keep that promise. However, I am not in any way one of Dan's top students. I'm planning to go train there tomorrow. That kind of talk might get me a beating.

About the OP video. I see an awesome central pivot at 33-35. I notice his trunk twist without his right hip going around. I assume there is an aiki-age set up on his right hand side. I was surprised that his head was not so straight at 34. His ability to receive into his body with his bent knees is a lot better than mine!

Rob
William and Rob.

Please invite me when Rob comes. I will most certainly come.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #81
rob_liberti
United_States

The deal I made with William was that when I make significant progress to the point that Dan doesn't mind me showing things I learned from him in totally watered down/lame way, then I'll be happy to come visit William and show what I've been learning. I'm interested in William's aikido approach to MMA as well. I respect his love for aikido, his approach, his honesty, and what I know about his history. Also, he has never randomly declared me over ranked.

Basically I decided that when I could perform Dan's super punch (I can't describe it that well) I would be ready. I'll come visit and as long as we are avoiding cracked sternums, I'll be happy play the knock each other across the room game with anyone William invites to the party.

So can we all be friends now? This is turning into bullshido. I'm having to go do a throw down for god's sake.

Rob

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #82
Dan Austin
United_States

Quote:
Hi Dan
To be fair, I offered some critiques, some vidoes of chen, some commentary on why the vidoes look different, some comments on Joes and what he was lacking...
I got nothing back by way of actual discussion. All I got was attacks and requests for a Job application resume from an attorney with nothing to say-and nothing to show. Thanks for the support guys, but what aout some opinion of the videos?
So Dan, what did you see in the various videos of everyone?
You have to realize you're dealing with "interesting" personalities that are simply locked as they are. To any martial artist it's clear that Erick's martial honor has been put to the question, yet he's avoided answering for his and his teacher's comments about your skills, avoided walking the walk and getting together as martial ethics would dictate, and yet he keeps posting as if it just hasn't happened.

As for Joe, I don't see anything like what I see with Chen Bing, but my opinion will be dismissed as will all others that disagree. The fact that he's oblivious to Chen Bing's impeccable credentials apart from what you can see him doing on video says everything it needs to say. He might credit that Chen Xiaowang is OK just because he's older than Chen Bing but who knows.

Last edited by Dan Austin : 08-25-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #83
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

My God Ladds...all this passive aggressiveness is making me hungry! If I may make a few humble suggestions:

1) let it go...
2) no really....let it go.
3) Try blending once in while...this is Aikido isn't it? (I know I'm gonna be sorry for that comment). I'm all for good public discourse but gentlemen please feel free to take a thread or two off.

Have a nice day....

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer

Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #84
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Well, every top martial artist in the world should probably be on film I guess. That's why I'm not. I'll let ya know when I have something worth filiming. Don't wait up.
In the mean time -from what I have seen-I wish more "top martial artists of the world" would reconsider the estimation of their own efforts.
You're making my point for me Dan. It's not you who says you're a top Martial Artist It's your students here... On E-budo and all over the Martial Arts Web (so to speak)

The opinion of a teacher's students is the only thing that matters Dan. Heck with all due respect if it was not for the testimony of your students here I would think you're just another Hot Headed Irish Blowhard like me. LOL

It's a whole other story with shameless self promoters like Dillman and you have to understand I have been there and done that and the great Martial Artists don't really have to say much... They let their teaching do the talking.

So again with all due respect I admire your humility but your excuse for not being recorded is still pretty weak. And weak is a word we Irish Mokes love as much as Cranberry Juice....Right Dan.

Take Care,

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 08-25-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #85
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Jesus William! I sincerely hope you were not referring to me. I promised to visit you, and I will happily keep that promise. However, I am not in any way one of Dan's top students. I'm planning to go train there tomorrow. That kind of talk might get me a beating. Rob
Well in that case I hope Dan beats you silly for coming out of the closet. I certainly did not refer to you by name. I promised I wouldn't remember ha ha ha ha ha.

See you soon I hope.

William Hazen

PS I said it out of respect for Rob Dan... So at least let him live.

Last edited by Aikibu : 08-25-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #86
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
William and Rob.

Please invite me when Rob comes. I will most certainly come.
With all due respect Joseph I will meet you first. My Dojo is a place where folks from different backgrounds can share what they know and it's not THUNDERDOME!!!

As we used to say....

"I'm just a simple guy trying to make his way in the universe." Jango Fett Star Wars II Attack of the Clones

Namaste Sensei Joseph

William Hazen

Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #87
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

Quote:
....Look at it this way... We have on film over the last almost one hundred years every top Martial Artist and their expression. We talk about them all the time, and reference what they recorded on film. Doing so has helped thousands of folks understand them and their Art...
Um.....!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #88
rob_liberti
United_States

Quote:
Well in that case I hope Dan beats you silly for coming out of the closet. I certainly did not refer to you by name. I promised I wouldn't remember ha ha ha ha ha.

See you soon I hope.

William Hazen

PS I said it out of respect for Rob Dan... So at least let him live.
I'm not sure you are getting this. It's a MMA dojo that is powered by aiki. I may be in the top 250 of Dan's all time students. But I don't see myself - and neither does anyone else - as one of Dan's top students. I'm not even Gleason sensei's top student in aikido.

Let me try to make this abundantly clear. When I think of some of the folks who actually are the top students there, I think about them doing these basically terrible striking drills with Dan and each other. I'm in no way shape or form ready to survive those drills - forget about when it gets more alive.

I'm holding my lines okay now. I get my structure going a whole lot sooner to when I first walk in the door as opposed to it taking 45+ minutes. I'm doing some nasty yoga stretches that are helping me get my trunk moving much more freely - pivoting around my spine so I can eventually do some of the aiki powered striking Dan does. And, I'm making decent progress. But there are many people training there who are FAR past me in ability.

I'm hoping I can get there more often and that my yoga and active isololated stretching will help me learn faster (by undoing many of the body issues that are in my way). I'm actually seeing that as a potential niche for me in the long run. I just may be the person you want to talk to if you would love to do what Dan or Mike or Aukuzawa are doing but you just can't figure out how to get the necessary flexibility to do it. And then again, maybe not.

In terms of the Chen Bing clip - my thoughts are what that guy did at 33-35 probably would power a pretty devastating punch - but I don't know if he can get his intent all the way to his hands. (maybe he can - I would like to see him hit someone)

Rob

Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #89
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mark Chiappetta wrote: View Post
I just came back from my dojo and it looks like it's time for me to make some popcorn as well. I'm curious why every *internal* thread turns into a "call out Dan Harden" one.......

As an aside, no students came to class tonight so I had a treat......got to do 2 hours of solo training. This stuff continues to amaze me.

It is unfortunate but after only 17yrs of hard Aikido training my body is wrecked, the most serious damage being instability of both shoulders due to multiple dislocations, torn right biceps tendon, kneecap tracking problems, torn ligaments in one of my fingers, and a neck injury (that was actually from ground work with a BJJ'er).

The more I do the solo exercises the more I can feel my neck, back, shoulders permanently release tension. My shoulders are getting range of motion back but strangely seem more stable wrt posterior subluxation which has plagued them for the last decade or so. I've heard these exercises touted as "healing" and although initially skeptical, I'm starting to believe it!

The other strange thing is tonight I tried doing some weapons kata and I found my body getting really fatigued. It feels like the solo work is beginning to "rewire" things. Weird.....but cool.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that the exercises are helping. And I'd have to agree -- the exercises feel like they rewire the body to work a different way. Cool on the one hand and a pain on the other.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #90
DH
United_States

Hey Rob
I have some visiting Internal Chinese MA ers coming tonight. One of whom -a bagua guy- has trained with Ark, one -a Taiji guy-who has trained with me several times when he is up here- he has some power you can see and feel. Those two are geat guys-they are bringing others as well.
I know you have felt WHJ, so this yet another chance to meet some decent players.

Last edited by DH : 08-26-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #91
akiy

Hi folks,

Can you all please stop hijacking threads to discuss so-and-so's personal skill abilities and go back to addressing the topic at hand?

I have to say that continuously witnessing multiple threads degenerate into this kind of personal discussion is quite disappointing. You're all adults. You've all been asked to watch both what and how you write. Yet, threads keep devolving into this kind of personal vitriol. I'm tired of it, really.

Shape up, people. STOP IT.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread