Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2001, 09:43 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 30c3d110
Anonymous User
Lightbulb Meditation?

Hi
How would you teach a beginner (such as me) to meditate? And I don't mean just the few minutes before the aikido class. When does one know that one is meditating (rather than sleeping or daydreaming)? How does one go about sitting quietly, doing nothing?

Lena
Old 12-09-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
Lenocinari

Meditation

Hi Lena-
I've been meditating for about half a year now and i have found it to be a very fruitful experience. The way i began was by not choosing a specific time of day to meditate but to just meditate when i feel like it. This way you will eventually find patterns in the timeof day you choose to meditate and that can lead to more self-understanding. As far as the actual meditation goes i usually sit it seiza, but you can sit cross-legged if seiza isn't comfortable right now. Then just do basic counting of each breath. I usually count ten breaths and then start over. Don't try to reach ten breaths as quickly as possible but don't hold your breath either. Also, i usually open a window or even meditate outside, this way you aren't deafened by the silence and you can re-centre yourself into nature. Or even put on some classical music and just kind of imagine a serene place. After a while i'm told you'll find a happy and almost uephoric state of meditation but i haven't come to that yet. When you meditate close your eyes and re-trace your day or just think about anything you want. Some say you shouldn't think of anything while you meditate but i think meditation is a process of self-centering, and you should do whatever it takes to return back to your centre. As far as sitting completely still, you don't have to. If you have an itch scratch it! Also i can't stress enough that meditation doesn't have to be in the stereotypical way where the yogi is sitting in a deep trance chanting. Meditation can be done in any activity. Walking, running, reading, swimming, talking with a loved one, skiing, skydiving, what ever. As long as you are making peace with yourself and having a good time it can be anything. Also if you think meditation is way above your head consider this: i'm only thirteen.

Cheers-
Ben

In order to see the stars, you first have to turn off the lights.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Lenocinari

P.S.

P.S.
I'd love to hear from others to hear how they meditate! Also i'd love to hear from you Lena to see how your progress is going.

Cheers-
Ben

In order to see the stars, you first have to turn off the lights.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:12 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Re: Meditation

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenocinari
Also if you think meditation is way above your head consider this: i'm only thirteen.

Cheers-
Ben
Ben, you're officially the smartest 13-year-old I've ever seen, on the Internet or off.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Sid
Re: Re: Meditation

A really good book on the subject is The Way of Energy, by Master Lam Kam Chuen. It details the basic Chi Kung (Chinese energy building system) standing meditations. I would definitely recomend it.

Sid

Last edited by Sid : 12-09-2001 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:44 PM   #6
michaelkvance
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Zazen

I'm a member of the Zazenkai at Zenshuji here in Los Angeles, so we do traditional Soto Zen practice. So unlike the young fellow above, our practice is very disciplined. I would recommend picking up Shunryu Suzuki's "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind." It's a very practical discussion of the practice of zazen meditation in terms of breathing, posture, etc. Good stuff.

m.