Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
TonyBlomert

Dojo: Big Sky Aikido, Bozeman MT
United_States
Examination Bowing Etiquette

As an introduction I am new to this forum and posting for the first time. I have been training in some form of martial art since the mid 70's. The past 10 years in Aikido. My wife and I moved to a new state and city this past summer. In the process, we joined a new dojo within the same Aikikai affiliation as we had back in our former hometown. Naturally, there were a number of differences in some of the practices and customs at the new dojo. Since we have traveled extensively and had the good fortune of training at various dojo, we've always followed the guidance of "when in Rome do as the Romans!"

Unfortunately we have never observed examinations anywhere other than at our former dojo. We were surprised to learn that the bowing etiquette at our present dojo varied from past experience. This lead to several discussions with Sensei after our first experience observing mudansha exams last fall. I was hoping that this forum might provide a good place to learn of the practices at other dojo.

As with all things relative to etiquette and respect, I defer to the location and Sensei. But this situation has peaked my interest.

Here's my take on the etiquette (without the philosophical or background reasoning):

After being called out by the exam administrator (or panel) one issues an audible acknowledgement (hi) and moves into the center of the mat. Then after a partner is called out, one completes a formal seated bow first to the Shomen, next to the administrator(s) and finally to your partner. At the conclusion of the examination the bowing order is reversed, first to your partner, then the administrator(s) and finally to the Shomen.

I appreciate all comments and thank anyone willing to share your dojo practices in this regard.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Examination Bowing Etiquette

The test candidate is called out and responds with "Hai".

He moves to the center of the shomen and bows, then turns and bows to the test committee.

He slides slightly off-center of the shomen and faces it.

A test partner is called out and takes seiza facing the shomen.

The test candidate bows and the partner bows at the same time.

The two turn towards one another and bow.

At the completion of the test, the partner is excused from the mat and leaves after bowing to the candidate.

The test candidate bows to the shomen, turns and bows to the test committee and excused.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
TonyBlomert

United_States

Michael,

Thanks for your post. Is the same procedure followed in mudansha and yudansha examinations? At your dojo are the uke's always selected and called out by the administrator(s) or does the candidate pre-arrange with someone to be uke?

Tony Blomert

Find me on Smashwords at: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AikidoToday
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Michael Hackett

Ours is an AAA dojo and our test process appears to be the same association-wide. To answer your questions directly, the process is used for both yudansha and kyudansha exams. The person conducting the test selects the uke for the test and most test candidates will face around ten uke in a yudansha test, depending on the number during randori.

In most tests it seems the test administrator will make sure to select uke who have worked with the candidate in preparation of the test as sort of an award or acknowledgement for their extra effort.

Michael
Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
TonyBlomert

United_States

Michael,

Really appreciate your information. It's good to know that Toyoda Shihan's practices vary slightly from what I've experienced, the essence is the same and etiquette consistent. I am researching exam practices across the Aikido affiliations to identify common approaches.

Tony Blomert

Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

We're the same as Mr. Hackett (also AAA derived), with the caveat that only the first uke is bowed into the Shomen. Successive ukes called just bow to the test candidate as they come up.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Michael Hackett

Berney is correct.....I overlooked that small part.

Michael
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

"After being called out by the exam administrator (or panel) one issues an audible acknowledgement (hi) and moves into the center of the mat. Then after a partner is called out, one completes a formal seated bow first to the Shomen, next to the administrator(s) and finally to your partner. At the conclusion of the examination the bowing order is reversed, first to your partner, then the administrator(s) and finally to the Shomen."

that's correct. at some dojos over the years they didn't reverse it at the conclusion, but now it's become pretty standardized. so you bow 1st and last to the Shomen
Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
TonyBlomert

United_States

Michael, Berney & Toby

Thank you for you comments. Since each of your organizations were founded by direct students of O'Sensei I am not surprised that there is similarity. I wonder if KI Society and some of the "next generation" founded organizations have kept with tradition?

Tony Blomert