Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Ellis Amdur

Last Chance - Osensei: IHTBF

I am collecting information for a core column entitled Osensei: It Had to Be Felt. One part of this is as follows: There are still a few individuals alive who took ukemi from Ueshiba Morihei. I can think of the following individuals: Tada, Suganuma, Kobayashi, Chiba, Yamada, Saotome, Anno, Isoyama, Inagaki, Shimizu, Watanabe, Masuda, Henry Kono, Bob Nadeau, Inoue (formerly of Yoshinkan), some of the old shihan of Hawaii. There are surely others.

What I am requesting is that people interview these people, with a specific goal in mind (Tada sensei has been so interviewed, and Isoyama sensei is, I believe, pending). To get a fine-grained description of the actual experience. After you've gotten this description, go deeper. What happened within your body? What do you think/believe he was doing.

I believe it would be ideal if the interviewer had some experience of the work of someone like Akuzawa Minoru, Mike Sigman, Dan Harden, Toby Threadgill, or a high level Chinese martial arts instructor. I'm not saying that the people on this list have the same training regimen, the same ideas, etc. (That's a discussion I truly don't want to revisit). Rather, your experience of one type of internal training/aiki can serve as a benchmark so that YOUR questions are not vague and impressionistic. I am asking for an engineer's approach rather than a romanticist.

Please send the result of such interviews to me, either through the message function here or directly through email.

I hope to thereby establish a data base of experience, before these people are gone and all we have left is fantasy and assumptions.

Ellis Amdur

Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica
Re: Last Chance - Osensei: IHTBF

"There are still a few individuals alive who took ukemi from Ueshiba Morihei. "

Eddie Hagihara Shihan, over at the Long Island Aikikai, was at Hombu dojo when Bob Nadeau was there. You might try him also.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Ellis Amdur

JIm - Thank you. One thing. I"m not going to try anyone. I"m not students of any of these individuals. I'm urging YOU (not you personally) to do so. Send me the interview accounts. I will stitch them together into a column/archive.
Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
David Yap
Malaysia

Toshiyuki Arai shihan, 8th Dan of Gunma Aikikai was one of the uke at the rooftop demonstration given by O Sensei. I believe he was one of the 3 uke who held jo for O Sensei's jo trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH3ti-d995o
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Try Koretoshi Maruyama of Aikido Yuishinkai. He often talks about what it was like to receive for Osensei, but not with the detail you would need. If someone is in a position to talk to him, that might work. I will certainly ask him a few questions next time I see him, but I don't know when that will be.