Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
redsoxfan
Dojo: Rhode Island Aikido
United_States
Difference between USAF and AAA

I'm returning to Aikido from a ten year layoff inwhich I practiced a traditional Okinawan style karate. I only left Aikido b/c the school I was attending closed. I now have moved and have found a few Aikido dojos none of which are really close but two or three are within an hour drive. The question I have is this what is the difference between a USAF affiliated school and a AAA affiliated school? My old Aikido instructor was a student of Yamada Shihan in NY, so I believe he was affiliated with USAF. I have visited the schools around me and the one I'm leaning towards is AAA affiliated. Is there a significant difference? Is it testing requirements? I'm under the impression that they are both Aikikai style. Anyway I'm excited to get back into Aikido training, I almost can't wait to get to the Dojo on Monday.

-Matt
Old 10-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Difference between USAF and AAA

They are both aikikai style-whatever that means. Different shihan had or have different ways of teaching and executing technique. You are likely to find considerable differences in how techniques are performed depending on the shihan and when they trained. AAA-will tend to have more of a Ki Society flavor given it's history-Toyoda sensei spent many years in the Ki Society and only returned to the aikikai in I believe 1995. Testing requirements are likely to differ as well based on the shihan. Although it is my impression that most organizations use the aikikai testing requirements as their boilerplate. Dan ranks are awarded through the aikikai from both organizations.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Re: Difference between USAF and AAA

I would visit both dojo a couple of times and, if they permit it, get on the mat once or twice, before making a decision. Instructor and dojo culture are so variable, within organizations.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield