Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States
Understanding "resonance"

Your body is a body, that's why it's called a body.

Very simple, your body resonates - literally sounds various notes - through numerous sources, including movement, breath, residual energy, etc.

In my Skin IS Structure topology, the entire skin on the body acts as one, single skin. And it's that skin that's the structure. Not the skeleton, not the muscles, not the tendons, etc.

When we tune the entire skin, then we can create an alive structure. Until we tune the skin, that's like beating on a drum with a very loose head "skin." Also known as a "dead" head.

Once the body, through the tuned skin, becomes a single structure - it begins to resonate even more.

Understand resonance as a collection of energy - aka frequencies, vibrations, notes.

And it is important to not allow a build up of resonance in the body. Whatever "collection of energy" that's in the body at any given moment - needs to move through and out of the body. Not get stuck and backed up.

Resonance is moved out of the body by "decoupling." Which I'll explain in another post.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Dan Richards
United_States
Re: Understanding "resonance"

Here's a simple way to understand "resonators" and how our bodies are resonators.

Try tapping your breast bone. Also beat your chest. You'll hear a note - a "tone." You can also do this on your arms and legs. They all produce a tone. They all resonate.

Pipe organ tubes
flutes
speaker cones
microphones
headphones
drums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Dan Richards
United_States

From the link:
Quote:
Resonators can be viewed as being made of millions of coupled moving parts (such as atoms). Therefore they can have millions of resonant frequencies, although only a few may be used in practical resonators. The oppositely moving waves interfere with each other to create a pattern of standing waves in the resonator.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Dan Richards
United_States

It is the standing waves - and their generation - that need to be eliminated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave

And that is done by decoupling - to allow the energy in the body to drain.
Topic on decoupling at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22331
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Without passing on the remainder of the points being made I would note that most human bodies drive in resonance at ~5-7Hz and the first harmonic at ~10-12Hz.

Not coincidentally -- the frequency of furitama and tekubi furi is at about 10-12 Hz.

I would further note that oscillatory phenomena (alternating stress, opposite in sign) tend to be dominated by shear forces -- and shear forces are greatest at the surface of a structure, whether in bending or in torsion.

FWIW. Enjoy.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 02-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Dan Richards
United_States

Hey Eric. Interesting dojo name. LOL
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
When we tune the entire skin, then we can create an alive structure. Until we tune the skin, that's like beating on a drum with a very loose head "skin." Also known as a "dead" head.

Once the body, through the tuned skin, becomes a single structure - it begins to resonate even more.
This is interesting and I wonder what you've done with it?

I finally understood that the kotodama are involved with this type of thing, so that explains why O Sensei was so involved with them.

So how do you connect this with aikido, IS and so on?

Do you show this resonance in technique or examples?

A friend recently invited me to a tai chi class where the teacher talked a lot about ideas that have become very familiar to me, but he had no interest in having me feel what he was doing.

My friend asked what I thought and I said that all those ideas sound and feel great and they seem to be along the traditional Chinese MA lines...but in expecting me to jump into the class and follow his instructions, the teacher skipped on important step. I've gone to so many different martial arts classes in the past forty years: karate, aikido, judo, jujutsu, kenjutsu, ninjutsu, jukendo, tai chi, bagua, xing yi, generic "kung fu," and a wide range of homemade "styles" and systems and very, very few have failed to at least try to feel my level before trying to teach me. This was not the first time I have encountered this group and they seem rather cultish. So...the ideas can sound correct but turn out actually to be empty.

I explained to my friend that tai chi is fundamentally concerned with jin, beginning with peng jin and generating all the other 7 types of jin (ward off, roll back, press, push, split, etc.). If a teacher has no peng jin, then it's a actually a serious mistake just to train with him. And as I say, I've felt very few people who had any kind of jin who did not want to let you experience it to some degree. They're usually proactive about it and if a teacher is not proactive about letting a new person feel their jin, they tend to see it as a challenge if the new person proactively asks to feel jin. And I think this is really the same power we're discussing as IS or aiki. And the same dynamics of wanting to show and asking to see applies there. We see a marked difference in the teachers of old who were always willing to show and let others feel their power, and those of today who consider it an impudent insult to ask them to prove their mantle. They wear black belts and run classes, but if you really want to find some give-and-take of friendly "ju", they get white-wall eyes and make it clear that you are not to return to their holy dojo.

When you realize that the teacher is this way, it's best just to forget about them and move on.

So I'm asking how do you apply this resonance or is it just an interesting diversion?

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Dan Richards - Aiki Research
Looked at your link, so you clearly know the concepts I refer to.

Resonance is actually a very important concept to me and Ark talks a lot about "tuning" the body.

I hear he can also do weird stuff with his skin.

So I can read your post with an open mind.

I'm just wondering how you apply this resonance.

I guess that's what we need to move this thread from "Knowing About Resonance" to "Understanding Resonance."

How do we apply it?

Thanks.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Dan Richards
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I guess that's what we need to move this thread from "Knowing About Resonance" to "Understanding Resonance."

How do we apply it?
Hey David, this thread is "Understanding Resonance." And we apply it by understanding it. And we understand it by getting on some common ground that we can share and build together.

There are tons of concepts and lots of language and descriptions of IS/IP, and I'm working on putting together a simple model that's something to start with. We're getting there. Thanks for coming to the party. Grab a chair - drinks are on the house.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Hey Eric. Interesting dojo name. LOL
Oddity of dojo history. About twenty years ago, and for about ten whole years, the dojo was in a space with a mat that was stretched vinylized green canvas over foam-covered plywood laid on 2x4 sleepers.

Taking falls on that thing was exactly what it sounded like -- a Big Green Drum.

It stuck...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Hey David, this thread is "Understanding Resonance." And we apply it by understanding it. And we understand it by getting on some common ground that we can share and build together.

There are tons of concepts and lots of language and descriptions of IS/IP, and I'm working on putting together a simple model that's something to start with. We're getting there. Thanks for coming to the party. Grab a chair - drinks are on the house.
I realize the thread name is "understanding resonance," but the "meat" of it doesn't seem to shed any understanding--just some general facts and beliefs.

I can't see where the theoretical comes through physically, at least in terms of aikido.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com