Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Mindfulness

The greatest support we can have is mindfulness, which means being totally present in each moment. If the mind remains centered, it cannot make up stories about the injustice of the world or one's friends, or about one's desires or sorrows. Being mindful means being fully absorbed in the moment, leaving no room for anything else. We are filled with the momentary happening, whatever it is--standing or sitting or lying down, feeling pleasure or pain--and we maintain a nonjudgmental awareness, a 'just knowing.'"
--Ayya Khema

I like this quote...Aikido has helped me develop some of this quality in my every day living.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Mindfulness

Attaining a state of Mindfulness is pretty much the overall general and high level objective of most of the internal arts I have been researching - including Taiji, Qigong, and even the mental internal stuff we do with Dan

Greg
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England
Re: Mindfulness

Hi Mary,
That is wonderfully put, because every moment is beautiful, we miss it usually because we are in some thought in the past, rembering what he/she did to me look at my life story and all the things that happened to me. Or what's going to happen in the future, ive got my credit card to pay next week, kids are going to start a new school term soon oh my god what will I do if cant get them a new pair of trainers, and when the hell am I going to get that promotion that I think I have a god given right to.
And we miss........... Everything that is truly important, the only true reality that there "is". This very moment because nothing exists out of this moment, if you think it does then your missing the aliveness of now!

This I know to be true, because if I only believed it, then it is only another thought form, not true harmony. True harmony can only ever exist in this very moment in the now, not in the past not in the future, but here and now and it is completely non-resistant. It just is.

In Budo

Andy B