Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States
Passed my First test (rokkyu ) yellow belt

Hi guys. I'm wondering what the different kyu ranks mean. I know when I took Tae Kwon Do for 3 years as a teenager, in the junior belts (you could only get junior black belt), each belt meant a different level and that level was explained as for what that rank meant. For example, red belt meant "danger" because the student knows how to do kicks/offensive techniques well, but does not have proper control over himself or his techniques. I was 1 belt from a junior black in Tae Kwon Do around 13-14.

I took Karate for a year from ages 7-9. Funny, I still rememer basic blocks and strikes from that class. I remember alot more of my kicks from Tae Kwon Do though.

I've now trained in Aikido 9 months. 13 months total, but only 9 months consistent training due to illness and injuries. I had a bad AC separation injury, which delayed my test by 4 months. I got it during a fast forward roll in zempo kaiten nage throw.

I just tested and passed my first belt test from white. I tested for rokkyu (in our school) which is the first test from absolute beginner (very beginniner, knowledge of no aikido) to yellow.

i just wanted to know what yellow meant. In other schools, I've never seen this, are the belt ranks defined by level like in Tae Kwon Do as I mentinoed above, what they mean? I googled it too and foud nothing.

I'd ask my own teacher, but he'd tel me "It doesn't matter." most likely. It doesn't really. I'm just curious, what difference is there between an absolute beginner or middle beginner (white belt) to a yellow belt ? Is yellow belt a basic foundation of Aikido?

Here what was on my test and how it was graded, and how I did: Seems kind of comprehensive ?

All the attacks had to go to pins, with the exception of the kokyunage, techninage, and iriminage. However, the last kokyunage in the randori I had to pin. We also had to pin in kokyudosa.

Randori: 1 person.
Attack: Yokomenunchi
Defense: Kokyunage.

Attack beginned at "Hajime!" and went until my sensei said stop.

I threw the uke succesfully about 10 times, every time, until the sensei said stop. The technique was acceptable.

Kokyudosa:
This wasn't graded but it must've been acceptable.
I found his center well and moved my own, extended ki. I'm pretty sure I passed this. I passed all the others anyway.

Attack:
Ushiro tekubidori
Defense: Kotegaeshi

Acceptable/passed. I stepped out too far to take uke's balance, in the notes from my instruction.

Attack:
Ushiro tekubidori
Defense: Kokyunage:
Was very good. Above acceptable on grade. He did mention to make sure the second time I did it to make sure the one hand goes back further to stretch uke further out.

Attack
Ryotedori:
Defense:
Shinonage
Was very good technique. Above acceptable.

Attack:
Ryotedori:
Defense: Tenchi-nage

Acceptable technique. Passed
Notes: Instruction said to step forward more to finish it.

Attack:
Katatedori Shino-nage:
Was accceptable. Pass

Katatedori hantai ikkyo:
Was acceptable. Pass. I need to pay closer attention of nages's shoulder when executing, it could've done some damage.

Katatedori Hantai Nikyo:
Acceptable. Passed. instruction praised atemi during attack.

Katadori Kokyunage:
Was acceptable. Passed

Shomen-uchi ikkyo: Needed work. Got sloppy. I passed, but I needed direction from instructor. the first 2 times it was executed, the first I almost got grabbled on the ground, but got out of it ok.
The second I messed the technique up, but continued anyway and did some throw similiar to
kaiten nage, I finished and didn't stop even though I messed it up. however, it was acceptable and I passed also for this tecnique.

Shomen uchi iriminage: I passed, needed a hint from the instruction, but after the intial rough part, I did it good.

Yokomenuchi kokyunage: Passed, acceptable.

Munetski kotegaeshi: Was very very good. Excellent (In notes)
Menetski kotegaeshi: Was also very very good. excellent (in notes)

He said my two punch defenses using kotaegashi (solar plex punch and to the face) were the best.

I also had to :

Explain aikido.
Demonstrate basic hand strikes, each side
Standing forward roll, each side.
do all techniques, each side.
Do backwards rolls, standing.
tenkan w/sensei .
irimi with sensei.
Menentski kotegaeshi ukemi/w sensei
Aiki Taiso w/application.

the application of the aiki taiso was such: I had to call my uke. Pick any of the 13 techniques on the list I had to do. I picked munentski kotegaeshi. I then had to execute and neutralize that attack.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Passed my First test (rokkyu ) yellow belt

Quote:
Kevin Tejan wrote: View Post
I'd ask my own teacher, but he'd tel me "It doesn't matter." most likely. It doesn't really. I'm just curious, what difference is there between an absolute beginner or middle beginner (white belt) to a yellow belt ? Is yellow belt a basic foundation of Aikido?
Well you could ask your teacher and find out for sure, but you're probably right. And given that it's his dojo, he'd be right too.

I've never heard of having each belt "mean something" in the manner you describe. Sounds like a way to instill certain attitudes in youngsters. Nothing wrong with it if it worked!

Every dojo treats grading differently. Heck, every sensei in every dojo treats things differently. You'll only find out for sure by asking yours.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States

Thanks Greg. I think I answered my own question. I've heard from another person here that some schools for the first belt just have you do proper ukemi and not get yourself hurt from the attack. My test I think (correct me if I'm wrong) seemed pretty comprehensive. But each dojo is different like you said. It also took me 9 or 10 months to be able to do it and pass it doing a good job. Thanks for your nice answer.

yeah, I was thinking that. I guess it changes with adults. Yeah, and I was a teen in Tae Kwon Do, those were "junior belts" (kids belts). I hear in aikido there are striped kids belts too under nanakyu (shichikyu) or rokku . I'm not sure if they mean anything. Wing Chun kung fu is also taught at our dojo by a different instructor. My instructor has been practicing Wing Chun also now for 5 years. So he incorporates that, the bridges, and striking into our aikido. He encourages us to use atemi whenever possible. I do Seidokan Aikido. But it is not directly Seidokan, it is his style, a more "realistic" self defense, Aikido with a light mix of kung fu principles strung in.

In the Wing Chun there are junior belts, and i think each one has a different title like my Tae Kwon do. Wow, things do change as you grow up, heh. This is my only martial art since I was younger.

You know something else I noticed Greg?

In the kung fu class, the kids are promoted faster than the adults. It takes the adults much,much longer to advance.

In my Tae Kwon Do school as a teen, I was very good, but it only took 3 months to advance each belt. Perhaps that's usual for a tae kwon do school, it was definitely not a McDojo.

Aikido on the other hand, Aikido i've been doing for 12 months, 9 months on a consistent basis, the rest illess and one AC/seperation from Aikido which took months to recover.
It took me 9 months to test for my first belt, rokkyu, and 1 or 2 months from white to yellow in tae kwon do. Is Aikido just harder? Is it harder than Karate? I was in Karate too.
Or is it just that kids are always going to advanced faster than adults ? ( more $$?)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Tejan wrote: View Post
Thanks Greg. I think I answered my own question. I've heard from another person here that some schools for the first belt just have you do proper ukemi and not get yourself hurt from the attack. My test I think (correct me if I'm wrong) seemed pretty comprehensive. But each dojo is different like you said. It also took me 9 or 10 months to be able to do it and pass it doing a good job. Thanks for your nice answer.

yeah, I was thinking that. I guess it changes with adults. Yeah, and I was a teen in Tae Kwon Do, those were "junior belts" (kids belts). I hear in aikido there are striped kids belts too under nanakyu (shichikyu) or rokku . I'm not sure if they mean anything. Wing Chun kung fu is also taught at our dojo by a different instructor. My instructor has been practicing Wing Chun also now for 5 years. So he incorporates that, the bridges, and striking into our aikido. He encourages us to use atemi whenever possible. I do Seidokan Aikido. But it is not directly Seidokan, it is his style, a more "realistic" self defense, Aikido with a light mix of kung fu principles strung in.

In the Wing Chun there are junior belts, and i think each one has a different title like my Tae Kwon do. Wow, things do change as you grow up, heh. This is my only martial art since I was younger.

You know something else I noticed Greg?

In the kung fu class, the kids are promoted faster than the adults. It takes the adults much,much longer to advance.

In my Tae Kwon Do school as a teen, I was very good, but it only took 3 months to advance each belt. Perhaps that's usual for a tae kwon do school, it was definitely not a McDojo.

Aikido on the other hand, Aikido i've been doing for 12 months, 9 months on a consistent basis, the rest illess and one AC/seperation from Aikido which took months to recover.
It took me 9 months to test for my first belt, rokkyu, and 1 or 2 months from white to yellow in tae kwon do. Is Aikido just harder? Is it harder than Karate? I was in Karate too.
Or is it just that kids are always going to advanced faster than adults ? ( more $$?)
Your rank means whatever you want it to mean. Seriously, every style, and even individual dojos view ranking differently. Our style has very clear testing requirements for ranks, but most dojos run tests infrequently, so students will test for several belt ranks instead of every single time. We have a few running jokes about ranking, the first of which is that any color on your belt means uke is allowed to actually try to hit you, because color indicates you have at least learned enough to get out of the way.

Belt rankings exist because people like to feel progress. And it is even more important for kids to see progress, or they will get bored and move on. Additionally, your Sensei is telling you that you showing improvement, and she, or he, trusts you with a higher level of responsibility. So, now remember that when you have people visiting your dojo, or attending their first class, you have rank, so you need to introduce yourself, welcome them, and try to show them why you love Aikido. Your rank represents your Sensei's respect and trust in you, so now it is up to you to make sure that you reflect that trust and respect positively.

--Ashley
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

In mine, they're usually happy if you generally remember the names of the techniques and their general shape for your first test.

Generally everything later is just different levels of refinement.

Kids are often promoted faster in many arts and schools. It both motivates them and brings in revenue from testing fees. Adults are often assumed to be able to motivate themselves. This allows for more time to refine technique and for each level to actually mean something.

In my own case, I don't think much of testing as an end in itself. Rather, each test provides and opportunity to focus on and increase the intensity (in every sense of the word) of practice in preperation for the test. The test itself is just showing off your skills and your pride in your teachers, peers, and school.

I was looking at Wing Chun awhile back. I find it interesting. It has concepts that remind me of the form of pentjak silat I used to train in. That's not a surprise though, there are rumors of chinese (non-kuntao) influence in it and they definately ripped off a couple sensitivity drills!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
MarcoMatta
Italy

In traditional Aikido there are two belt colors: white belt and black belt.
The white belt goes from 10th Kyū (or Jikkyū) to 1st Kyū (or Ikkyū).
The black belt goes from 1st Dan (or Shodan) to 10th Dan (or Jūdan), but I think that you already know those things.
Wearing a white belt means that you are still a beginner or a learner.
I found a site that explains why Aikido belts are a modern invention: http://www.martialartsguy.com/aikido-belts/