Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
GB-UK

Dojo: UKAU North Shields
England
Re: Some Ki Tests

Quote:
John Burn wrote: View Post
Hi Gornall,

Yep, my example was slightly different as it was just as warm up movement but I think it still applies all the same - those particular warm up exercises are used in some koshinage. If you read what Graham said about what those exercises are meant to achieve then I'd look at it in terms of walking in on the wrong end of a conversation, all of a sudden without the original context it makes no sense.

If I walked into a dojo and they were practicing what's in the video I'd ask questions, if the teacher explained the what, the why and more importantly, the how, then it would go someway to me realising what they're doing and the reason behind it. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with what was in the video.

I had a few boxers stop by one night who were convinced that what we were doing was all fake and a lot like dancing... One of them said he did jujutsu but couldn't tell me what type of jujutsu he did, just that it was jujutsu. Well, to cut a long story short I invited them onto the mat to test my dancing skills out (in a friendly tone) and just advised them that I hoped they knew how to fall well (it was a beginners class). They all declined and couldn't get out of the door fast enough. Shame really, it could have been fun .
I would also ask questions but if the class was like the video I would most likely not return and look else where.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Talking Re: Some Ki Tests

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
To understand where I am coming from read the zen koan entitled 'The taste of banzos sword'.
http://howdoarmbar.blogspot.com/2011/04/old-school.html
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Excellent. My kind of humour.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Excellent. My kind of humour.
I'm glad you enjoyed second season of "The Taste of Banzo's Sword".
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I'll bite...

I think these types of videos cause trouble. As best, the exercises are valid but with no explanation to accompany them. At worst, the exercises are bogus and published for all to see.

I am a firm advocate to solidly explain what is going on in a video. It's just too easy to mistake something and aikido already has some pretty unexplainable stuff going on...we don't need to muddy the waters. I appreciate sharing the video but we need to be careful we are sharing stuff that helps, not hurts... Yes, that means multiple takes, scripted practice, and attention to detail - not to mention editing and voice-overs. I understand this video is more raw than a finished product, but if we are sharing important information I would like it to be.

I think Graham's post touched upon some good points of training that we should include in our aikido. I am not sure if the exercises I saw represent the principles as well as they should. However, we are all human and we sometimes don't look as good as we think we do. I think if Graham is claiming these are exercises build good principle we need to disclose just how correctly they are being performed. I think I read some other posts that pointed out some issues in technique, I would second those remarks.

As for the exercises, I see similarities to some more popular exercises used for the same purposes. I appreciate Graham sharing his exercises.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Jon.
You know what? I thoroughly agree with most of what you said.

My original intention when I first made them, a totally new experience for me, was so that the students could see how they looked and learn from the outside so to speak.

I told them I would put them on youtube so that they all had access to them.

When I put some on here is when I found out I had some big assumptions. I thought everyone would know what I was doing as if they all had the same view as me. In retrospect quite dumb.

I was actually quite confused and yet amused by some of the vitriole if that's not too strong a word. I think it was the too and fro with George Ledyard and his reasoning he was giving to others that led me to realise my mistake and thus responsibility when posting a video.

In fact at times it felt no different to the dojo when handling multiple attacks and yet keeping center and moving into each one with a technique. Hence the fun for me yet off the mat so to speak wondering what I had done or not done to cause those attacks. All good training.

When I said I find the videos done by Ginny Breeland as the best type I now meant as a clear explanitory video. I find they are simple, principles are explained and the how those principles are used in action, in technique are there. Pretty much as you say a good video should be when presented to others for such purpose.

It's all good.

Regards.G.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #32
GB-UK

Dojo: UKAU North Shields
England

Quote:
Hi Gornall.
Surprised to see this back on the menu so to speak but I understand your questioning it and as I posted it I am responsible to for answering.

Firstly, I am not of the big organisations of Aikido ie: Aikikai, Tomiki, etc.

My way of teaching is no doubt very different to what many are used to and this alone can lead to questions.

As I have pointed out to enquirers before I approach Aikido from more of a Zen perspective and so funnily enough it appears to most that I teach it backwards. By this I mean I teach or emphasize the disciplined practice of certain principles over and above any use of technique.

This no doubt makes me a minority and not an Authority. I am an Autority only in my way of Aikido.

To understand where I am coming from read the zen koan entitled 'The taste of banzos sword'.

So your view on not seeing pertinent technique with martial application in that video is indeed correct. In fact I do not promote Aikido as that and call it a path of self developement where self defence is a consequence of it.

Therefore I see Aikido as a perfect vehicle for spiritual developement.

In the video you will see me holding the wrist of a student and he has to try to do Taisabaki, a turn. He has to do it in such a way that it moves me from my stable position, no technique, no use of the other hand, no tricks, just Taisabaki. Therefore it is more of a drill.

It is based on a principle given by Tohei Sensei, the principle of 'take your partner's place'. In this particular drill I explain that a full taisabake leads to this whereas a partial one is more for avoidance or realignment of ma-ai. However, I also explain it is a way of entering in the form of a curve with a specific purpose. As with all martial arts the ability to do a particular seemingly simple thing takes as long as it takes to become an obvious part of you.

Your responses to others shows me you have an open mind and therefore I am confident you will find, if you havn't already, the one that suits you and also understand the ones that suit others.

Regards.G.
Hi Graham, I think I understand where your coming from a little bit better know. I actually made a post on my blog the other night about the differences in the way people can practice aikido which can be at completely different ends of the spectrum but still be aikido. I guess we all have to find our own aikido, and try to do that to the best of our abilities.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #33
ronin67
Japan

A very interesting video. As soon as I started watching it, I recognized it as Ki Aikido (Tohei Sensei's Ki development exercises). These exercises are done during every training session right before the waza portion of the practice. Which one are you? Hats are allowed to be worn? Very interesting. Where did you learn these Ki extension exercises from (What sensei showed you these Ki development exercises)? Have a great day sir and may God bless!

Ed

"Aikido can never truly bring peace without the full understanding and application of KI ".
-Me