Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States
40th anniversary special newsletter - Aikido Institute of Oakland

greetings!
This past March our dojo celebrated 40 years of training in Oakland, CA. By all accounts the Oakland dojo was one of the first in California and is one of the longest running dojos in the bay area.
We had many special guest instructors who got their start or trained at some point at our dojo, including Bill Witt Shihan, Hans Goto Shihan, Hoa Newens Sensei, Pat Hendricks Sensei, and many many others who trained under Saito Sensei.
The below is a link to a special edition of our newsletter, which contains interviews with all of these instructors.
Please enjoy the cool stories and insights that they've shared.
(you can ignore the other material after that, which is just our ramblings and other fodder )
cheers!

http://www.aikidoinstitute.org/kiai/..._2010_40yr.pdf

-dave
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: 40th anniversary special newsletter - Aikido Institute of Oakland

Congrats!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Dave, this is really nice! What did you use to produce it?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Thank you for posting your newsletter, Dave. It so happens that some of the roots of Aikido in Israel are from the Oakland dojo.
Eytan Ben-Meir sensei, who is, as far as I know, the Aikido pioneer who first brought Aikido to Israel, studied at that dojo. Ben-Meir sensei is currently the highest ranking Israeli (Aikikai organisation) Aikido practitioner. Many of the teachers in Israel were at some time or the other his students.
It's interesting to read the interviews and get an impression how the practice and the atmosphere in the dojo were in "the old days".
It was nice to see Ben-Meir sensei in the pictures as well as his student, and a notable teacher on his own accord, Eli Bitran sensei.
I hope similar celebrations will be held here in Israel, in a few years, when the first dojo in Israel, established by Ben-Meir sensei, will note it's 30th anniversary.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States

@ Mary: thanks!. i did not have part in creating the newletter, but i believe it was done with InDesign (Adobe).

@ Ziv: thanks for the words. I got a brief chance to train with Ben-Meir Sensei and he was great--very powerful and centered technique. perhaps one day if i make it out to Israel i will seek out the dojos you mention. cheers!

-dave