Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Discuss the article, "Weapons Training in Aikido" by George S. Ledyard here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/gledyard/2004_04.html
Old 04-16-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Mr. Ledyard,

Thank you for your excellent article. In it, you say that O`Sensei took various pieces to form his own style. You also say that various Aikido teacher`s weapons systems emphasize different things and have different feels. Do you think that we, as students, should do as O`Sensei did and look for bits and pieces? Or do you think we should chose one style, at least for a good length of time, and focus on it before exploring other systems?

Thank you,

Charles Hill
Old 04-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
I don't know

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Mr. Ledyard,

Thank you for your excellent article. In it, you say that O`Sensei took various pieces to form his own style. You also say that various Aikido teacher`s weapons systems emphasize different things and have different feels. Do you think that we, as students, should do as O`Sensei did and look for bits and pieces? Or do you think we should chose one style, at least for a good length of time, and focus on it before exploring other systems?

Thank you,

Charles Hill
Frankly, I don't know. There are a number of weapons systems out there which were developed from within the Aikido umbrella. If you think of yourself primarily as an Aikidoka, as I do, then one or more of those systems may be enough.

On the other hand, if you want to really be a swordsman, it would be a good idea to do a real sword style like Katori Shinto Ryu or Kashima Ryu. There just aren't very many legitimate places to do this however.

I would rather do my own thing with a weapon, where at least I know that that is what I am doing, than get stuck training with some charlatan and spend a bunch of years learning garbage. While I have taken elements from the classical systems I studied briefly and have also incorprated ideas from various videos I have in my collection, I still use Saotome Sensei's sword forms as the basis for my practice but there is quite a bit of drift as I discover various things for myself and adjust my technique accordingly.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: I don't know

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
On the other hand, if you want to really be a swordsman, it would be a good idea to do a real sword style like Katori Shinto Ryu or Kashima Ryu. There just aren't very many legitimate places to do this however.
While it's not quite as sexy as Katori or Kashima, there's plenty of Iaido spread throughout the US and other countries outside of Japan. Not quite as comprehensive as the older schools, maybe, but certainly more than the average Aikido dojo has.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Re: Re: I don't know

Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
While it's not quite as sexy as Katori or Kashima, there's plenty of Iaido spread throughout the US and other countries outside of Japan. Not quite as comprehensive as the older schools, maybe, but certainly more than the average Aikido dojo has.

Best,

Chris
Iaido is great. I did some for a while. I would recommend it to any Aikidoka! It gives you a very precise sense of cutting lines and creates excellent edge awareness. But it doesn't have the timing / spacing elements that a style that stresses paired work does. I don't consider someone who just does solo sword work to be a "swordsman" as I would define it. No more than I would a kendo practitioner. And certainly, most folks doing sword work within Aikido aren't swordsmen either (myself included). I have tried to incorporate lessons from classical sword into my Aikiken so that it isn't embarassing to do in front of people who really know what they are doing but that's about it.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-17-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
George,

The points you make are interesting and I agree. Having students that are seriously training in Shinto Muso ryu and Katori Shinto ryu, I see a lot of improvement in their tai jutsu. Distancing, timing, and precision in the hasuji of their waza are some of the immediate things that come to mind. It just makes it so clear to me that aiki waza are truly based in cutting prinicples.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on training.

Last edited by Chuck Clark : 04-17-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 04-18-2004, 05:14 AM   #7
George S. Ledyard

Sword and Aikido

Quote:
C.E. Clark (Chuck Clark) wrote:
George,

The points you make are interesting and I agree. Having students that are seriously training in Shinto Muso ryu and Katori Shinto ryu, I see a lot of improvement in their tai jutsu. Distancing, timing, and precision in the hasuji of their waza are some of the immediate things that come to mind. It just makes it so clear to me that aiki waza are truly based in cutting prinicples.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on training.
Hi Chuck!

I'm still incorporating some of the stuff we did at your seminar in Woodinville. Thanks!

In another discussion (on the AJ site) I talked about the different ways in which one energizes a blade. You can put your energy primarily in the tip as in cutting, you can energize the blade as a whole as in slicing, or you can put most of your energy in the handle in order to do a slipping movement.

Each one of those possibilities has a direct empty hand equivalent relating to whether you put your energy in your hands, your forearm, or your elbow. In attempting to teach this I have found that students who have a decent sword background get it much more easily than those who don't.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Article: Weapons Training in Aikido by George S. Ledyard

I'm home now from a good time in the Indiana woods near Bloomington. We actually were working on some principles that you describe above. My experience is similar to yours as far as students that are learning proper sword work have an easier time picking up these often very subtle aspects of principle.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
davoravo

Dear Senseis George and Chuck

I very much enjoyed the article. I would like to ask: If we train in the Omote aspect, how do we learn the ura? Is it a matter of years of training or do you think there is a built in expectation that the student will come to Aikido with training in another art eg karate??

Thank you

David McNamara
Old 05-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
davoravo wrote:
Dear Senseis George and Chuck

I very much enjoyed the article. I would like to ask: If we train in the Omote aspect, how do we learn the ura? Is it a matter of years of training or do you think there is a built in expectation that the student will come to Aikido with training in another art eg karate??

Thank you
It is helpful to have a wide background for yourslef but I think that just going out of your way to train with the best Aikido teachers you can find will help a lot. Even getting as many videos as you can, of both Aikido and classicla styles, would also provide you with a vast amount for your inevstigations.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com