Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States
White belt to 6th kyu (yellow belt)

After 9 months of intense training in seidokan Aikido, im ready to test for my first rank 6th kyu. What does this belt mran? Understanding some basic techhniques of Aikido.? thank you!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: White belt to 6th kyu (yellow belt)

I think that is a great question for yourself...what does that belt mean to you?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

A first step. Hopefully some degree of understanding of things that you'll later realize you don't understand at all, and then you'll understand them again, and then you won't understand them, and...

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Walter Martindale
Canada

It means you've probably learned enough to participate in a class and come out of getting thrown without getting hurt, and that maybe you've learned the basics of a few techniques. "They" (whoever "they" are) say that you've only really started to understand anything after you get to "shodan" or "first degree black belt." Having passed that milestone, I still wonder if I understand anything.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Tejan wrote: View Post
After 9 months of intense training in seidokan Aikido, im ready to test for my first rank 6th kyu. What does this belt mran? Understanding some basic techhniques of Aikido.? thank you!
Rank requirements are different in every school. In my dojo, your first rank means that you can function on the mat well enough to survive a class without killing yourself or someone else, and that you will have a tiny idea of what to do after sensei demonstrates a technique. Pretty much means you got your foot in the door.

Here is a tip that I really wish I had taken. Keep a training journal. Write down stuff after every class, and dont just record the technical information. Record your emotions about classes, your interpersonal interactions, other thoughts.... You will find that reading it as you progress through aikido to be really amusing and informative. I can almost guarantee you that, as you are training for your shodan exam, reading your first entries about the intensity of the training for your 6th kyu will make you smile.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
soupdragon1973
Dojo: Hallam Aikido, Sheffield
United Kingdom

Just wanted to say well done and that it means something internal I guess.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
when you reach your dan ranks, you'll be asking the same question

practice hard
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
lbb
United_States

I second what Krystal said about the training journal. It's useful to review, but more useful, I think, for internal processing and development in things that are not that obvious. Journaling has benefits beyond the obvious that are hard to understand until you do it for a bit. One suggestion: if you do this, try not to write for an audience -- it will be hard at first, particularly if you do a lot of that kind of writing, but a journal is the best opportunity to find your authentic voice.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Hi Kevin

Your 6th Kyu will probably mean more to you than to anyone else in its achievment.
We at the ESTA still use the coloured belt system that originated from Judo in the 1950s. The white belt informs anyone training with you what standard you are. We the Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido still use the coloured belt system. I alway tell my students that green belt ( 3rd Kyu ) is the most important belt of all before black - In 1957 I was graded green belt and became dojo assistant to Sensei Williams and Kenshiro Abbe, I seem to value the memories of that more than my Shihan promotion. Every teacher was once a 6th Kyu - not many remember that.
Enjoy your grades

Regards
Henry Ellis
Co-author of ` Positive Aikido`
http://is-aikido-martialart.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hellis : 02-01-2013 at 03:19 PM.