Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States
Teaching Aikido to Children Seminar - 2010

Aiki Kodomo Kenshukai -- Teaching Aikido to Children / Educators Seminar
2010 - Call for Presenters

In 2006, the first "How to Teach Aikido to Children" seminar for teachers was held in Virginia.
In 2008, the event was held in Berkeley, California. Each event included presentations from ten senseis and was enthusiastically received by 40 attendees. Many positive reports were written on many aikido websites (see http://www.aikidoinn.com/index.php?page=press for links to some reviews). As background info, the program from a prior Kenshukai seminar is posted on our website at http://www.gashuku.net/kenshukai.htm.

This year, we are back on the East Coast and the event, tentatively scheduled for the weekend of June 19, 2010, will be held in our large, bright, new dojo. We are located one hour south of DC just off I-95.

The seminar is being organized as a resource for improving the quality and diversity of Aikido education to youths. It is likely that we will have international participation. The seminar will be taught by Aikido instructors and educators from a variety of affiliations and will be open to all Aikidoists.

The seminar is organized by Aikido in Fredericksburg with support by Aiki Extensions, Inc., both of which are non-profit organizations.

If you are interested in presenting at this year's seminar, please send us a proposal via email to aviv@aikidoinn.com with the following information before February 28, 2010:
• Presentation Title:
• Content Summary:
• Target age group for content area:
• Min and Max Time Required:
• Your experience teaching Aikido to children:
• Amount of stipend required for you to attend:

The organizing committee will review the proposals received and will respond to each one in March. We hope to announce the tentative program for Kenshukai 2008 in April. Updates will be posted on www.gashuku.net

If you cannot participate, are there resources (such as publications, videos, teaching materials) that you can make available to the seminar at low/no cost? Are there other instructors that you suggest we contact?

Please contact me with any questions or ideas. Thank you for your support.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 05-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States
Re: Teaching Aikido to Children Seminar - 2010

The seminar is now set -- please join us!

Instructors of Aikido to youths are invited to participate in the 2010 Teaching Aikido to Children Educators Seminar June 19-20 in our fabulous new dojo in Spotsylvania, Virginia. Taught by teachers for teachers, this innovative program is a great event if you have a kids program or are contemplating adding one to your Aikido class schedule.

Prior events have gotten rave reviews from participants. We've assembled an experienced group of Aikidoists, Senseis, and Educators to provide "how-to" resources and share best practices. Learn and network!

Got to http://www.gashuku.net for the flyer which lists topics and instructors.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States

I was disappointed to have to miss this seminar. How did things go? When can we expect some reviews?

WMReed

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Gary Small
Dojo: Aikido of Maine
United_States

I am posting a letter to Aviv . I strongly recommend that any one who teaches Aikido to children participate in the next event of this type! it was a great event socially and educationally.

Aviv

I have been busy and excited since I returned from for the Aiki Kodomo Kenshukai seminar last weekend. I want to thank you again for including me as a presenter. I am profoundly struck by your vision and the reality you are creating. It is truly amazing to bring many diverse aikido worlds together. It was wonderful to have so many people with different lineages all working together to put the unifying principles of aikido and O sensei's vision in practice.
I remember asking a teacher many years ago what style of aikido they taught and the response was "Aikido is Aikido". I love the way that sounds and this event was a great way for all of us to practice with this spirit.
There was a great deal of positive energy and information shared. There were some truly gifted aikido teachers and the format was wonderful. I was struck with the compassion and passion of the main presenters. The classes were chock full of great ideas and images.
I had a great time teaching the Saturday morning class! The kids and adults who participated in the class were great fun. I think it was great to have the adults participate in the classes with the kids, it felt very much like the class was full of big kids and small kids.
You at one point asked us to share our one goal from the weekend. I think there were so many things to think about and I intend to use and implement lots of what we covered. I think one I have taken to heart is your view of outreach to those who might not be able to afford Aikido and I will be putting a policy together to do more of this out reach.
If there was any miss it was that not every organization was represented in the teaching and I know it was not your plan.
Congratulations again on the amazing dojo you have built! it is a fantastic facility, beautiful and functional. The setting is remote and yet it is accessible and it seems like it was always meant to be there. The dormitories and kitchen make it a great place for events! I wish you and the dojo membership happy training ! Oh, I must not forget the O sensei calligraphy very cool!

Gary Small
Aikido of Maine