Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Ki,one-point, and centering

It's good and sometimes fun to play with ki exercises but don't kid yourself. What most people really need is intense training in basics and techniques. Neither Tohei nor Bruce Lee got where they were by practising the ‘essence' (although that is what they began to teach). They arrived at it: Tons of basics, lots of technical stuff, fitness, speed, power, intent, concentration, determination and so forth will prepare the ground for a better understanding of ki training exercises (if that is what you want). I really don't think you can do it the other way around and get very far very fast (although I know some seem to think it a shortcut).

As an example, here in Korea everyone spends years learning English and the result is that very, very few people speak good English. Why? Because they concentrate on the end, passing THE exam. They spend countless hours in exam preparation rather than learning English. Often, you see students with some of the highest scores who cannot speak a word of English, they have terrible pronunciation, and cannot decipher meaning from text (even though Korea is known for reading skills). An absolutely bizarre situation, all the worse considering that Korea spends more on English language materials (books etc) than any other nation on Earth. The source of the problem? Focusing on the end result, not the process. This happens in Aikido too, methinks. I know because I have been a victim of garbled training.

Ki Aikido training is fun, but is best played with later on -- those who teach it early on tend to overdo it, to the detriment of normal training, in my opinion. Otherwise, if you must, keep it to a minimum.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #27
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Ki training is something that is often not taught, or sometimes taught poorly, possibly because many teachers do not fully understand it, believe in it, or have even been taught it themselves. On the other hand, within Shin Shin Toitsu (Ki Society), Ki principles are taught from day one. In fact, Aikido is but one of five disciplines taught collectively there, but Ki training is fundamental within ALL FIVE. Which way is right? I have NO idea... but I suspect it's probably somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 PM   #28
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

The english language newspaper, Asahi Weekly has as its cover story this week, the news that Yakult Swallows baseball team`s catcher, atsuya Furuta, is going to take over as player/manager next year. The headline reads, "Furuta`s calm and steady leadership should restore the ki at Tokyo`s Jingu Stadium." Interesting that the writers choose the word ki.

Charles

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!