Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Dan Herak
Dojo: Florida Aikikai
Bu Jin Design Gi

I study two different martial arts, aikido and taihojutsu. As taihojutsu has large elements of judo thrown in, which involves far more grabbing and twisting of the gi than does aikido, I have always worn a fairly thick gi. As one of my gis is now beyond repair, I am thinking of a lighter one for aikido. I see Bu Jin Design has both a 8.5 oz. and 12 oz. gi and am wondering about others' experiences with the lighter 8.5 oz. gi. Does it stand up well in aikido practice? How does it compare to a heavier gi? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
petermavrik
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States
Re: Bu Jin Design Gi

I have one of the 8.5 dogi tops and it's built well, but I sweat a LOT when I train, and it gets saturated pretty quickly. I haven't had any negative experiences with people grabbing it, and it seems really sturdy, but I switched to thicker ones (mine are Bee brand from Midwest Martial Arts) and I'm happier with those. It's also getting cooler in Chicago, and cooler in the dojo, and a thicker dogi helps.

As far as Bu Jin goes, I like their pants more then their tops.

塵も積もれば山となる
even grains of sand can form a mountain
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I found the lightweight gi (I have the women's cut style) to hold up pretty well, mine only started to tear a little in the underarms after about 5 years of use and the ties tear a little (they're designed like karate gis) but remain intact. The bujin pants are nice, too. I like the elastic waists.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States

Dan,

Since the days when I studied with Paul Minkler Sensei, I've bought my gis from Kiyota Co. in Baltimore. They are sturdy, long-lasting, and relatively inexpensive if you receive the bulk discount by getting a group of people to order. However, most of the people at my dojo wear Gis from Bujin and they are top quality, too. You will not be unhappy with the quality of either, I would say.

I prefer the judo-weight gis, personally.

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 11-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Dan Herak
Dojo: Florida Aikikai

Thanks for all of your input. I think Peter has a point about the cold weather. It is not like Cleveland is any warmer than Chicago, so I will purchase a heavier gi now and maybe pick up the lighter one next summer.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!