Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Ai-hanmi tenchi-nage

Looking at my grading syllabus, I noticed that this technique is on it. I vaguely recall doing this technique - but not how it was done; trying to figure it out, it's quite mystifying.
I think you 'd have to take uke's hand (the one that's holding yours) with your free hand and do the 'earth' part, then with your now-free other hand, do the 'heaven' part. But what do I know?

I've searched YouTube for a video of it, but have come up short. Does anyone know of a video demonstration anywhere please?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Ai-hanmi tenchi-nage

Slide in on the 'earth hand/grabbed' side. Then Step in with the 'heaven' hand.

Syles may vary - FWIW, swing the elbow on the heaven hand into uke's center and raise the hand. Then rotate thumb down on the heaven hand as you step through. Your finishing posture should be on balance as if you were considering taking a fowrad roll with the heaven hand - now pointed thumb down.

With this approach you will get an 'up' and 'down' motion from the heaven hand and avoid the typical error of simply pushing the uke back with the heaven hand.

If all else fails ask someone from oyur school!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

USAF 5th kyu requirements video on youtube demonstrates that technique if I remember correctly.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Looking at my grading syllabus, I noticed that this technique is on it. I vaguely recall doing this technique - but not how it was done; trying to figure it out, it's quite mystifying.
I think you 'd have to take uke's hand (the one that's holding yours) with your free hand and do the 'earth' part, then with your now-free other hand, do the 'heaven' part. But what do I know?

I've searched YouTube for a video of it, but have come up short. Does anyone know of a video demonstration anywhere please?
You should find plenty videos on Youtube. In my style, we practise first the "chi" part with one hand, as a sumi-otoshi, i.e. dropping your partner into the corner where he is not supported. Then we addthe "ten" part.
But is this one of these techniques on which there is an endless number of variations and interpretations -- find out what your instructor likes.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Here's one I have:

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/vids/tenchinage.html

d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Basia Halliop
Canada

Are you sure it's not ryotetori tenchinage? I.e., with uke grabbing both wrists from the front?

If not, what organization and grade is it? I can't quite picture how you'd do tenchinage from katatetori without changing it into another technique altogether. I don't think I've ever seen it (unless I just didn't realize that what I was doing was considered tenchinage and not a different technique? That's possible.)

Quote:
If I am picturing what you're saying right, then I've seen such a technique many times, but I don't recall what it's called. It wouldn't have occurred to me to consider it tenchinage without using both uke's arms, but I can see your reasoning.

I think you're going to have to do things the old-fashioned way and actually your Sensei or someone at your dojo .
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
I think you 'd have to take uke's hand (the one that's holding yours) with your free hand and do the 'earth' part, then with your now-free other hand, do the 'heaven' part.
Yes.
Here it is from gyaku hanmi the way we do it.To do it from ai hanmi, you have to take ukes grabbing hand, free your own and continue just like in gyaku hanmi.
Only difference: You grab uke and lead him by this instead of being grabbed.

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
If I am picturing what you're saying right, then I've seen such a technique many times, but I don't recall what it's called. It wouldn't have occurred to me to consider it tenchinage without using both uke's arms, but I can see your reasoning.
Doing tenchi nage from gyuaku hanmi is quite "normal" to us. (aikikai in Germany, following Endo Seishiro/Christian Tissier) I think it's tested for 4th kyu.
We also do it from yokomen uchi nearly similar like shown here.
Or from kata dori and kata dori men uchi.

So doing it from ryote dori is just one out of many possibilities.
At least in our aikido.

Carsten
Old 08-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
raul rodrigo
Philippines

From ai hanmi, it is more "normal" for us to be doing it from shomen-uchi instead of a hand grab, but yes, doing it the way that Carsten describes would be perfectly kosher, by the standards of our practice here.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
(,,,)
We also do it from yokomen uchi nearly similar like shown here.
Or from kata dori and kata dori men uchi.

So doing it from ryote dori is just one out of many possibilities.
At least in our aikido.

Carsten
This one looks to me much more like what we call kubinage. Not much tenchi there.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
This one looks to me much more like what we call kubinage. Not much tenchi there.
Kubi nage?
For kubi nage we stand in front of uke (a little bit like in koshi nage) have both hands in the neck=kubi (back of the neck) of uke and go directly down on our knees. It's a vertical movement with the neck of uke in the hands, leading ukes head down between our knees.
What is shown here is not called kubi nage in our aikido.

Well, what do you mean by saying "not much ten chi here"?
In this video tenchi nage is shown from 2:45 on.Can you please outline the difference?
And what style/shihan do you follow?

Anyway.
This form of yokomen uchi tenchi nage is kihon waza (basic form) in our aikido. (aikikai)
Carsten
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
Kubi nage?
Anyway.
This form of yokomen uchi tenchi nage is kihon waza (basic form) in our aikido. (aikikai)
Carsten
Not here. (Aikikai, Tokyo).
Guess your boss has a different idea.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Not here. (Aikikai, Tokyo).
Guess your boss has a different idea.

We'v got no "bosses" in aikido. (I actually don't hav one at work. )We call them "shihan". And we have two of them.
One lives in Paris. The other one lives not so far away from you, in Saku/Nagano.
Some years ago he used to teach in a certain dojo in Shinjuku.

Well but to be honest, I think Endo Sensei wouldn't normally do tenchi nage from yokomen uchi.
This is more the way, Christian Tissier practices.

The idea of tenchi nage which I learnt and which I teach is, throwing the opponent by leading one side up (ten), one side down (chi). Be it from ryote dori, katate dori, yokomen uchi or kata dori.
So which idea of tenchi nage do you have then?

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 08-30-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
WilliB
Japan

Quote:

We'v got no "bosses" in aikido. (I actually don't hav one at work. )We call them "shihan". And we have two of them.
One lives in Paris. The other one lives not so far away from you, in Saku/Nagano.
Some years ago he used to teach in a certain dojo in Shinjuku.

Well but to be honest, I think Endo Sensei wouldn't normally do tenchi nage from yokomen uchi.
This is more the way, Christian Tissier practices.

The idea of tenchi nage which I learnt and which I teach is, throwing the opponent by leading one side up (ten), one side down (chi). Be it from ryote dori, katate dori, yokomen uchi or kata dori.
So which idea of tenchi nage do you have then?

Carsten
Ah, OK. I have heard about that confused Aikikai situation in Germany. I understand that there are even more Aikikai organizations there, all of them claiming to be the true disciples. Nothing against Tissier, I have seen his demonstrations and they look great.

Basically why we call Techninage here is the variation that starts with a sumiotoshi. Using your broad definition, arent most throws somehow Tenchinage? In that case, why bother with different names anyway... its all Tenchi. Certainly takes the stress of remembering names away :-)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Ah, OK. I have heard about that confused Aikikai situation in Germany.
I don't think the situation ist "confused"?
There are several lines of tradition connected to hombu:
Asai sensei, The line of Yamaguchi (Endo & Tissier), there are students of Tamura Sensei, some of Tada Sensei, Nishio Sensei, Yamada Sensei.

Quote:
I understand that there are even more Aikikai organizations there,
Sure: All of them belong to the aikikai. Same thing as in some other countries I know.

Quote:
... all of them claiming to be the true disciples.
"True" Disciples of whom or of what?
We are all doing aikido. And we practice together.
And we all belong to the "big familiy" of the aikikai.

Quote:
Basically why we call Techninage here is the variation that starts with a sumiotoshi.
Well, then: When doing sumi otoshi from yokomen uchi, how do you do it?
What is the difference to what is shown in the video of yokomen uchi tenchi nage?
How do you do tenchi nage from yokomen uchi or kata dori?
(Or don't you do this?)

Quote:
Using your broad definition, arent most throws somehow Tenchinage?
So please again: You only tell what is missing or wrong or "not much tenchi".
Please be so kind and give a definition of tenchi nage, which makes clearer, how you understand tenchi nage. And why this is not seen in the video, I posted.

Quote:
In that case, why bother with different names anyway...
Because naming the techniques can be part of better understanding them.

Quote:
... its all Tenchi.
Hm, you said there wouldn't be much tenchi in the example of yokomen uchi tenchi nage?

Quote:
Certainly takes the stress of remembering names away
Well I didn't have stress when I had to learn the techniques when I started practicing. And over the years I found it very interesting and usefull to discuss the nomenclature of the different styles oder lines of tradition.

Naming the techniques leads to a clearer structure of kihon.

Carsten
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
WilliB
Japan

Ah, cut down with merciless German logic and thoroughness.... every line disected, trisected and eliminated without mercy. Yessir!
Its been a long time since I left my homeland, and these heated Stammtisch debates make me almost feel nostalgic.

But sorry, Carsten dear friend, these days I prefer to step aside and let you charge ahead full steam. You win, I lose, and we are both happy. Bask in your glory. I guess that is more Aiki, too :-)

Have a good day and enjoy the feeling of superiority.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #16
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Ah, cut down with merciless German logic and thoroughness.... every line disected, trisected and eliminated without mercy. Yessir!
Its been a long time since I left my homeland, and these heated Stammtisch debates make me almost feel nostalgic.

But sorry, Carsten dear friend, these days I prefer to step aside and let you charge ahead full steam. You win, I lose, and we are both happy. Bask in your glory. I guess that is more Aiki, too :-)

Have a good day and enjoy the feeling of superiority.
Oouuuchhh.
Amazing: Won without fighting!

"Heated debate", "with full steam"? When? Who?

You stated the technique I teach as yokomen uchi tenchi nage is not tenchi nage because of "not much tenchi" in it. Is asked questions. You answered none of them.
Not one.

Hope your students get better of.
I explain what I teach. Don't you?
No questions and answers in your dojo?

And: You have an interesting view of Germany.

All together you seem to know a lot about aiki. I already admired that in the shihonage-threat.
But it seems to be a different understanding than what we teach: We use aiki to blend with our partner, for being able to guide him. - And to controll him aswell as oneself.
"You win - I loose" is not what I understand as aiki. Or what I learned or teach as being aiki.

Being gentle, being humble seems more the way of aiki to me.

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 08-31-2010 at 01:22 AM.