Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
Luc X Saroufim

Training at Hombu Dojo

Going to Japan in a few months, and I obviously would love to visit this place.

Problem is, can I qualify to go as a guest? Do I need my USAF passport? Special permission from my Sensei?

Also, would you recommend I train there? I've suffered minor injuries to my right shoulder, and while it's ok now, it is a risk in the back of my mind. I've only been training for 11 months.

i should say that i've performed a search, but couldn't find anything directly relevant to what i'm asking.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Re: Training at Hombu Dojo

You definately need the USAF passport! If you don't have it then you will be required to join the dojo which costs about $85 4yrs. ago then pay the class fees. While with the USAF passport it will cost you $15 and you can stay and practice all day. Hopefully someone is behind the glass in the office that can speak English. They will ask you a few questions like rank, Sensei, where you are from, etc... I was lucky that my wife came with me and did all the necessary translation. However, since you have only been practicing for 11 months that will mean that you can only practice in the beginners dojo which is on the second floor. The main dojo where all the big boys and girls practice is on the third floor and you must be 3rd kyu in order to get on the mat. You should be able to still watch the class though. Oh, the last point is to make sure that you find out which is the correct door to enter the dojos. Each dojo has two doors side by side, one for the students and the other strickly only for Sensei. I think the student door is on the left but make sure you confirm this! I almost made this mistake for I had never heard of this and luckily a Japanese student caught me in time.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

I'll assume you checked the Aikikai site...but just in case...

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/index.htm

Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Neal Earhart wrote:
I'll assume you checked the Aikikai site...
pssh of course !

thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
SmilingNage
United_States

It would be nice if you didnt show up un announced as well. Maybe you can shoot them an email prior to going.
Try to get a Letter of Introduction from your sensei.
Dont forget your Yukyusha book.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
William Oakes wrote:
Dont forget your Yukyusha book.
what is that?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote:
what is that?
it's the book you get when you pass your first test, n00b
Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
柘植富安

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
You definately need the USAF passport! If you don't have it then you will be required to join the dojo which costs about $85 4yrs. ago then pay the class fees. While with the USAF passport it will cost you $15 and you can stay and practice all day. Hopefully someone is behind the glass in the office that can speak English. They will ask you a few questions like rank, Sensei, where you are from, etc... I was lucky that my wife came with me and did all the necessary translation. However, since you have only been practicing for 11 months that will mean that you can only practice in the beginners dojo which is on the second floor. The main dojo where all the big boys and girls practice is on the third floor and you must be 3rd kyu in order to get on the mat. You should be able to still watch the class though. Oh, the last point is to make sure that you find out which is the correct door to enter the dojos. Each dojo has two doors side by side, one for the students and the other strickly only for Sensei. I think the student door is on the left but make sure you confirm this! I almost made this mistake for I had never heard of this and luckily a Japanese student caught me in time.
I would like to comment make some corrections.

First, what do you mean by USAF passport? Are you talking about the Yudansha book issued to Yudansha? If so then you or your organization has already paid the registration fee to Honbu. You should have had a membership card issued with your Yudansha book. Bring at least one of them and they can look up the number.

If you are talking about anything other than that and/or are a non yudansha practitioner...you must pay the reg fee because you have not done so before.

Main Dojo
The statement about having to be third kyu to practice on the main floor is incorrect. I am not sure why you thought that. However if you practice on the main floor and are clearly out of your depth you may be advised to attend a beginners class.

Two Doors
I am sorry but you are also incorrect about this as well. The first door is not only for Sensei. It is where women enter the dojo (because the dressing room is on the second floor) and it is where the Sensei enters to teach. Men enter and leave the dojo by the door in the mens locker room.

Please check dojo website as advised. Enjoy your visit.

Tomo
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

The USAF passport he is referring to is the Yukyusha book issued in the United States Aikido Federation (Yamada Yoshimitsu Sensei is the head). It is not the Yudansha book issued by the Aikikai Hombu. It is our organizational equivalent for kyu ranks. It contains the students name, name of sensei, rank and dates of tests, and any seminars they may have attended.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
柘植富安

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
The USAF passport he is referring to is the Yukyusha book issued in the United States Aikido Federation (Yamada Yoshimitsu Sensei is the head). It is not the Yudansha book issued by the Aikikai Hombu. It is our organizational equivalent for kyu ranks. It contains the students name, name of sensei, rank and dates of tests, and any seminars they may have attended.
"...In that case, he will be required to pay the Honbu registration fee. However, if and when he takes his black belt test, fill in his assigned Honbu number on the application, and Susan should reduce the cost of his test fee. Part of the blackbelt test fee is the USAF is exactly that fee for Honbu. Everyone must become a member of the dojo."