Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #76
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Ueshiba the monomaniac?

Quote:
Lee Price wrote: View Post
...I've spent most of the last 12 years here. Yet maybe it is.....what's Dan's true experience here then?
You haven't said what your true experience has been there. I knew people who were there twelve years without learning a word of Japanese and without taking any martial arts. Others who were there and involved with low level schools where there was nothing much to be learned. One guy was there several years growing marijuana....so....what have you been doing? Where, and with whom?

Quote:
My first posting here in some time was met with basically an attack by him...that's just damaging.
Ah. All clear, then.

Keep calm and carry on.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #77
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Blimey Greg you must have been bored...the figure came from a very well known source...it's availabe to read...did you find that? ^^
No, I have no clue where you came up with that figure - that is why I asked for reference data that supported the number. Based on the information at this link: http://www.joshuaproject.net/world-clock.php - there are about 4.5 billion people in the world (male and female, between the ages of 15 to 64 - I do not think I would be stretching the truth much if I assumed that 99.99% of the those studying Aikido today would be represented in that group. Based on your figure of 10 million Aikido students in the world, it would mean that 2 out of every 1000 in that group would be a student of Aikido. That is an absolutely absurd number to me. If you have a data source to support your claim, please provide it.

Quote:
It's a common claim especially by Mr harden etal that if someone shows alarm it must be someone who doesn't have the skills and is looking in with no idea...lol. This is far from the case and is merely self protection but only on his side. Generally he may have started something he has very little control over imho...but ego led will have you believe that you too will be a budo giant and that there are no risks to this. Yet logically if this were the case everyone..and I mean everyone would have done that wouldn't they. Even he says he thinks others refused to do the work...why was that? is it evolution or devilution of aikido and possibly you...take care is all I say.

Mr Harden will not support you if you get sick..and you can. Don't even expect a reasonable reply by mail.....which to be fair Mark did try and provide. But again he is not an authority and truly does not have skills/understanding of Japan imho to say what he often does here (again read back through those thousands of posts/propoganda)

What can go wrong can be very very dangerous...to you....it's an insipid thing this in someways...you've let someone walk into aikido...lie to you about a lot of things (and you need to think about that) for personal reasons only..not yours. History will show that people didn't just shout to the world about this...men were specially chosen that could do something safely and would keep quiet. Ueshiba wasn't directly given some information because he was in someways a show off....can I say that? Think about how he approached a Judoka on a train. The others kept quiet for other reasons than personal glory...to protect. Even Sagawa had the foresight to see what could happen if westerners had any understanding, hence he said don't teach them...ever. Again those words may have been screwed by some here to make you feel you're not enough..and can't do....ahhh but he's the answer...mmm

Don't you think a regular normal guy wouldn't have just invited a few people to his dojo/barn and gone about things quietly. Strange that at the age of 55 ish he constantly has to bicker and attack people in aikido to get attention/fame/money?....look back and you will find a constant stream of this. Dubious in the extreme is what I would say..coming from a place where people do and can have real skills but are very responsible. They don't do that do they? they don't stand and say "you've all failed to a man"....be wary..be very wary of this one..
As far as the rest of your post, the above is absolutely nonsensical. You speak in the first person as if you know Dan and those that train with him from a very authoritative position that you know all about what we are up to - neither of which is true. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't talk about people and things you know nothing about as if you do. If you present a position, back it up with supporting data; which you have not done in any of your posts as far as I can tell.

Greg

Last edited by gregstec : 10-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #78
wxyzabc
England

And yet things are being broadcasted widely to anyone and everyone with no warning whatsoever.

My experience is not so bad you know as I'm not asking you to do anything I don't need to say too much...but I will say I'm acquainted with some of the highest level aikidoka anywhere....plus other things...and that's all.

This is not a personal thing at all you know...but generally I don't get why the little "in group" don't talk privately...why is everything being pushed in front of the unknowing and unprotected public?

See I'm a very reasonable person

All the best

Lee
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #79
wxyzabc
England

Greg..in all good humour..read more slowly ^^

Lee
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #80
stan baker
Wake Island

Quote:
And yet things are being broadcasted widely to anyone and everyone with no warning whatsoever.

My experience is not so bad you know as I'm not asking you to do anything I don't need to say too much...but I will say I'm acquainted with some of the highest level aikidoka anywhere....plus other things...and that's all.

This is not a personal thing at all you know...but generally I don't get why the little "in group" don't talk privately...why is everything being pushed in front of the unknowing and unprotected public?

See I'm a very reasonable person

All the best

Lee
Hi Lee
I am also aware of the highest level aikidoka
so what are you talking about.

stan
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #81
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Greg..in all good humour..read more slowly ^^

Lee
Lee, in all good humour, it is my understanding that you are an English teacher in Japan, and as an educator, you should know the importance of doing your homework and research - in my grade book, you get an F in those areas

Greg
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #82
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Lee, in all good humour, it is my understanding that you are an English teacher in Japan, and as an educator, you should know the importance of doing your homework and research - in my grade book, you get an F in those areas
I'm willing to leave it as Incomplete.

But most of what I've seen has been C-....so...

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #83
wxyzabc
England

Wow....Greg you're just mean ^^

Mr Harden has before said he knows something no one else does.....what was that exactly?

Chuckle
Lee
p.s. I run a business here...so don't make me out to be run of the mill...lol
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #84
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Uh....right.

Don't you realize that a lot of people posting here (whom you're dismissing) also have a lot of time in Japan and not only claim "acquaintance" with "some of the highest level aikidoka anywhere," but they will name them.

Are you being passive aggressive or do you call it coy?

You're being neither "gentlemanly" nor "Japanese," so give it a rest, would you?

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #85
DH
United_States

Lee stop talking about me.
a. I have nothing to do with the subject of this thread
b. Mark had nothing to do with the subject either.

You are talking about the posters, ..the people behind the posts.
Read the rules.
On top of that your comments are inflammatory and erroneous on so many levels I can only assign them to trolling.
Dan
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #86
DH
United_States

Quote:
Wow....Greg you're just mean ^^

Mr Harden has before said he knows something no one else does.....what was that exactly?

Chuckle
Lee
p.s. I run a business here...so don't make me out to be run of the mill...lol
Really. Funny I make just the opposite case.
Stop making me the subject of this thread and your erroneous ranting.

Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #87
wxyzabc
England

Go back and read folks...his words not mine.

While you may be the best thing in the world...be aware that later some people may not be thanking you

You're not the subject...you started the whole subject didn't you? be careful what you give to the world Mr Harden...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #88
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Go back and read folks...his words not mine.
Reminds me of someone else who, when directly addressed, always appealed to the "folks".

It's a sure sign of a troll.

We've all read your words, Lee, and we can see they're empty.

Come back when you're ready to be honest.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #89
wxyzabc
England

Hya David,

I'm a very honest person....but enough of the personal affronts. I've said what does need to be said to some that should listen....

Please don't feel the need to say anything more to me now...and "folks" is just a word that is widely used and doesn't = troll.

I'm being very fair to a lot of people...if you stop to think you will see this is the case...nothing more.

I have things to do now so I'm going to say goodbye...

I'm not against anyone..be careful that you aren't either...ok...all the best

Lee
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #90
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Hya David,

I'm a very honest person....but enough of the personal affronts. I've said what does need to be said to some that should listen....
Lee...lee....lee....you have made claims and failed to back them up when asked directly, replying instead with self-aggrandizement, how great your experience is (though you won't say what) what great people you know (though you won't say who)....that's called "trolling," dude.

Quote:
Please don't feel the need to say anything more to me now...and "folks" is just a word that is widely used and doesn't = troll.
It's not the word, Lee. It's the appeal to the onlookers to come and stand by your very weak position. No one wants to stand by that kind of thing.

Quote:
I'm being very fair to a lot of people...if you stop to think you will see this is the case...nothing more.
No, Lee. You haven't been fair to anyone. Fair to anyone is fair to all. You've flung insults and insinuations but you haven't had the honesty to back it up.

Quote:
I'm not against anyone..be careful that you aren't either...ok...all the best
There's no need to be against someone who is blatantly undermining himself. Your credibility here has long since leaked away. Why would I bother to be against someone like that? Your passive aggressiveness will just result in your being left entirely out of the conversations you have such a need to be a part of. Maybe if you looked at your own posts a bit more closely and worried less about advising everyone else, you might be taken seriously. Addressing you at all is just a form of giving you a chance to do that. The answers you give show the waste of giving you a chance.

Best to you.
David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #91
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
So you can see I say this with care...be careful
In all things: buyer beware. Beyond that I think it's pointless to keep talking about non-descript risks because all they seem to do is beg for apparently unanswerable questions.

Quote:
My first posting here in some time was met with basically an attack by him...that's just damaging.
Only as damaging as you allow it to be; people make mistakes; let's move forward and make something more positive then.

Quote:
It sounds personal to me, but taking you at face value, maybe they don't know the dangers you are aware of and are just trying to help others in a way they feel thankful for...paying it forward? I'm of the philosophy that open/sincere conversation among friendly people is only a good thing...even things we can't learn about through conversation because every now and then you read/hear something that puts things in a new perspective.

So, with that in mind...Ueshiba Morihei...monomaniac or kissing-disease-aholic?
But seriously though...Lee, would you describe the danger(s) you're worried about as physical mental or spiritual? Applying to all three or potentially any combination thereof?
Good night and pelasant dreams all!
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-31-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #92
David Orange
United_States

Well said, Matt! Best to you.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #93
wxyzabc
England

mmm..made a mistake in having a last look here didn't I...lol

So there has been no ranting from me...I have quietly stated perhaps later than I should, that you can get very sick in many ways doing alternative training...this is fact. Some problems have been addressed..others haven't and can be very dangerous to you and possibly others.

No I don't need to tell you much at all....but if you don't know then shouldn't advocate practises to all and sundry. Some have gone further...they've said all sorts about Japan etc...purely speculative at best some of it. Yet you say my words are empty...they are in a way as I'm not filling you with anything am I. Go back and read what I said...nothing wrong there at all I hope (and how would you know). If there is I apologise for that.

I don't spend all day on here so miss some people's input and don't reply to everything..this is not personal so please don't take it as such.

I haven't made any self aggrandsations at all either....I merely said I'm acquainted with some of the highest level aikidoka around...some unknown..some people operating in other arena...that's just a fact that I don't have to give any further info on. I don't know you and you don't know me....so I'm not taking anything away from anything. You think you have a right to know everything don't you...even about me...well quite simply you don't....and there are very good reasons for that.

Go talk to the people telling you to do things other than regular aikido and get the answers from them about what can happen/go wrong....again as I said earlier if they don't know then I would be very concerned and also very very careful. I'm sure you're dealing with reasonable people there, yet on this website they come across as something very different at times...anyone can..and like myself some say too much imho and not always in the best way.

The work can be good...or it can be/go very bad...and the duality is not easily controlled...

And that's it...I won't write anything more...I'm very busy and have a lot to do....this has become a distraction that I really don't need.

I'm going to go seek therapy now..lol ^^

All the best again...lets retain a sense of humour ^^

Lee

Last edited by wxyzabc : 11-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #94
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

I'm reading these posts with a lot of surprise. It seems to me that some of the most experienced martial artists here are getting sucked into a useless argument with Mr. Price. From all his postings it seems clear that he is just making all this stuff up to get a rise out of people. He says nothing and just implies a lot of nonsense. It seems doubtful that he is even an "English teacher" in Japan, if his writing is any indication of his competence.

The original post is the question is "Ueshiba the monomaniac?". The back and forth re this question is interesting. If we can get back to this question, I would like to read more.

Thanks.....In Good Practice - of any kind.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #95
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
...It seems doubtful that he is even an "English teacher" in Japan, if his writing is any indication of his competence..
IME getting employment as an English teacher in Japan (teaching adults in private classes) does not require more credentials than being able to speak English with some fluency. Being a native speaker may not even be a requirement.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #96
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

So, have we reached a conclusion regarding Ueshiba?

Was he a religious monomaniac with a budo twist or a budo monomaniac with a religious twist?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #97
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
So, have we reached a conclusion regarding Ueshiba?

Was he a religious monomaniac with a budo twist or a budo monomaniac with a religious twist?
You left out the option of dual, opposing monomanias...
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #98
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
You left out the option of dual, opposing monomanias...
I think that the idea of dual monomanias (or maybe several monomanias during his lifetime) is far to complex for Aikiweb. This forum prefers a binary solution.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #99
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
So, with that in mind...Ueshiba Morihei...monomaniac or kissing-disease-aholic?

Matt
i am voting for #2. you got to wonder about the whole notion aikido is all about love and harmony and blending.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org