Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Hiroshi Tada Interview - Part 5

New blog post - part 5 in the continuing series of interviews with Hiroshi Tada:

Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada: The Budo Body, Part 5 - The most influential person in the history of Japan

Enjoy!

Chris

Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Hiroshi Tada Interview - Part 5

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
New blog post - part 5 in the continuing series of interviews with Hiroshi Tada:

Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada: The Budo Body, Part 5 - The most influential person in the history of Japan

Enjoy!

Chris
This whole series is very important. Is the Japanese version of the interview easily accessible?

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
This whole series is very important. Is the Japanese version of the interview easily accessible?
I've seen it posted at a number of places on the internet - for example:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~yp7h-td/busintai.html

Best,

Chris

Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
I've seen it posted at a number of places on the internet - for example:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~yp7h-td/busintai.html

Best,

Chris
Thank you. Of course, there is the Tada website. I had forgotten about this. Tada Shihan is due to give a lecture at the forthcoming IAF Congress and we also might manage an interview. Hence, the importance of asking him questions that have not been asked, yet.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
chillzATL
United_States

Nice Chris, Thanks as always!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Nice Chris, Thanks as always!
Thanks Jason, we're almost to the end of the interview...really

Best,

Chris

Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Thanks Jason, we're almost to the end of the interview...really

Best,

Chris
That just means you've got something else cool lined up next, right???
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
That just means you've got something else cool lined up next, right???
Could be - but I'll be travelling in Japan and Korea for most of October, and then Dan will be here in the beginning of November, so I'll have to see how the timing works out...

Best,

Chris

Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
DH
United_States

Yet another teacher...referring to the budo or bujutsu body.....
Which is a very real requirement for producing what every smart budo-ka should want...aiki!
Yet all of these new sources are still lacking what? A single model on how to produce it!!
Isn't that interesting?

Chris has had any number of "Thank you's"...I keep wondering why no one is outraged.
Hasn't anyone else been asking ..."Why?"

I guess we should be happy that the new translations are consistently pointing in the right direction...FINALLY. So now we see yet again that; The key to aiki is in making a budo body and not in making groundpaths to four-legged animals by connecting to someone. I'm glad that more and more sources are blowing apart that red herring that I have been arguing against for years. Now we just have to go find out how to actually GET a budo body....from someone who will teach it.

I remain totally confused from reading interview after interview telling people what they needed all along and not reading a single teaching of how to get it.
Why isn't the evidence of the success of that idea everywhere in a majority of budo people?
Why isn't it well known and discussed?
Sixty years later...why does this remain....as new information...to so many budo people?
Why did Sagawa one of the biggest proponents of this; (building a budo body as the source of aiki) NOT WANT HIS WORDS TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH-WHEN HIS BOOK WAS A BIG HIT IN JAPAN?
Why?
I think those are important questions-critical to budo-ka.
Tackling those questions -and answering them-can lead to growth for several reasons I can think of.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
DH
United_States

Someone asked me why the groundpath to fourlegged animals is not a good idea.
It works but it is baby steps. If you are concerned with joining -to- someone, you are also susceptible -to- someone. You have created a partnership. So it becomes a game of who is first and who is better. NOT a very good idea in budo! Hence the reason Ueshiba and others didn't stress that model at all. It's fine to feel at a seminar and feel the connection and some power, but it isn't where the higher level work is at. Which is why the more accomplished people never really pointed to that stuff did they?
Something to think about!

If you focus on a bujutsu body..they...are always responding to... you. You are dynamically stable-to yourself and more importantly understand some pretty sophisticated ways of changing that energy continouosly so you can change their change without impedement or signal. It continually gives them a feeling of being late, and you being able to change much faster. This is openly discussed.
Secondarily it removes much of their access -to- your center.
Overall it is the superior model and that is why -it- is the model most often discussed by those who really know what they're doing past the beginner stages.

I am the universe was not a whacko, quasi-spiritual, throw-away phrase. Nor was his answering the question of "What is Aiki?" by drawing a circle and stating "It is opposing forces." Nor was his statement that "The mysteries of aiki are revealed...in dual opposing spirals." or the clear statement that "Heaven/earth /man releases the mountain echo."
He knew what he was talking about and the implications.
Sadly, the previous translations and the teaching paradigms have failed to produce people with his power. Stated simply;
If you had his power you would understand his models.
If you don't understand his models, you don't have his power.

And the truly wonderful news is that much of the time he was quoting others.THis sets in motion and inescapable logic string.
Who...were those others?
Did they have his power?
And the answer is ...yes.
So can we if we follow his lead.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Someone asked me why the groundpath to fourlegged animals is not a good idea.
It works but it is baby steps. If you are concerned with joining -to- someone, you are also susceptible -to- someone. You have created a partnership. So it becomes a game of who is first and who is better. NOT a very good idea in budo! Hence the reason Ueshiba and others didn't stress that model at all. It's fine to feel at a seminar and feel the connection and some power, but it isn't where the higher level work is at. Which is why the more accomplished people never really pointed to that stuff did they?
Something to think about!
I was going to come back to that and ask, but you beat me to it.

I would agree with what you said about "ground path to 4-legged animal", but that alone is not all that ground path is, IMO. If you're still using rigid skeletal alignment to make that ground-path, sure, you're definitely giving up your center to make that ground-path, but doing that is, as you said, baby steps. Is it not true that if I am both relaxed and connected "in me" that any force acting against me is, by nature, creating a ground path? It doesn't have to be a ground-path that compromises my center though and I can still move and output my own power while feeling that connection to the ground but without attaching my center to it. Isn't that the earth in heaven and earth? Isn't that, along with his own connection and ki exactly what Ueshiba is demonstrating with his jo trick? That when they are pushing on the jo, they are essentially pushing the earth through him? The example you gave years ago of the drive shaft attached to a motor buried in the ground seems to point to the same concept. The essence of non-resistance!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
DH
United_States

Jason
Boarding, flying, training all weekend. I will try to get back to you on my droid. We don't disagree much that every thing is supported by ground...its how and why.
Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Jason
Boarding, flying, training all weekend. I will try to get back to you on my droid. We don't disagree much that every thing is supported by ground...its how and why.
Dan
You kids and your technology!