Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Paul Crawley
Australia
Cotton Hakama Shrinkage

Although there are already a few discussions re: buying/sizing hakama, I found it difficult to find solid info on how much shrinkage to expect with a new cotton hakama.
So after buying one and washing it a few times, here are my shrinkage measurements that someone might find useful when trying to gauge what size to buy.

The hakama is indigo, #10000 cotton from Iwata. It's a size 26.5 which is supposed to be around 100cm bottom of belt to hem, mine (and my girlfriend's) came in at 104cm. The front belt was extended to 4.5m and arrived at 4.56m.

Unwashed
Length -- 104cm, Belt -- 4.56m

After 1st wash
Length -- 102cm, Belt -- 4.50m

After 2nd wash
Length -- 101cm, Belt -- 4.46m

After 3rd wash
Length -- 101 cm, Belt -- 4.40m

After 4th wash
Length -- 101cm, Belt -- 4.40m

This was from washing in cold water in a bathtub and drip-drying in the shade. It was washed again as soon as it was dry (about a day) and wasn't worn. Incidentally, although there wasn't much/any dye in the water at the 4th wash, there is plenty on my hands and gi after wearing.

Hope that's useful to someone.

Paul
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Cotton Hakama Shrinkage

Why go through all of that? Get a black hakama. Black don't bleed!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
RED
United_States

Hmmm.. Unless you are training outside...or training in extreme heat and getting your hakama saturated in sweat, why are you washing it so much?
I have three hakama. Two of which I've never washed. One of which I've washed because I used it training on a beach.
Hakama really don't get dirty, unless of course you are outside or really sweaty. I've always viewed it as a sort of an over dress for your gi(which should be washed regularly, according to how nasty you get.)

MM
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

You have to wash indigo hakama to help get rid of the extra dye/powder that is still in it. I'm guessing he was washing it so it wouldn't smurf anyone who glanced in his general direction.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
RED
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
You have to wash indigo hakama to help get rid of the extra dye/powder that is still in it. I'm guessing he was washing it so it wouldn't smurf anyone who glanced in his general direction.
ahh...I've never dealt with the indigo ones.... too heavy for florida.

MM
Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I aspire to own one ONE day. Years and years down the road when I am forced to wear a hakama as a yudansha. I already gripe and complain when sensei asks me to wear a hakama to help him teach the actors (they are doing "Throne of Blood"). My sighs and face never seem to get my point across. HAHA.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Paul Crawley
Australia

Yeah, all the washing was to remove the excess dye. Iwata gave explicit warning that it would need a few washes first. Still, after 4 washes and a few weeks of wear, it leaves my hands and gi blue but is showing signs of getting better.
For what it's worth, I did actually want a black one but Iwata don't make black cotton hakama (nor do Tozando, I think)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
RED
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I aspire to own one ONE day. Years and years down the road when I am forced to wear a hakama as a yudansha. I already gripe and complain when sensei asks me to wear a hakama to help him teach the actors (they are doing "Throne of Blood"). My sighs and face never seem to get my point across. HAHA.
I prefer to wear the hakama. It covers up the fact that I wear yoga pants and not gi bottoms... they seriously don't make gi pants for short full hipped women. I seriously question how girls bigger than me can even get flexibility in those gi pants.

MM