Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
Diablo
Dojo: International Aikido Association
Ai symbol Aikido ranking?

I am still new to aikido, (a little more than 2 months), and am wondering if someone can tell me what the requirements for ranking are, or recommend a site that does. I found a site by accident, and forgot to bookmark it. It stated the minimum requirements for 5th kyu, 4th kyu, then 3rd, 2nd, 1st, shodan, etc. It was something like: 5th kyu must know sankyo, nikyo, kotegaeshi, etc. Then 4th kyu must know what 5th kyu does, and then ______ (fill in the blank because I don't remember.) It was for the Hombu Dojo, dated 196x? I know it will vary from dojo to dojo, but it will give me a baseline. Thanks in advance.

It's all about connection.
Diablo
Old 05-14-2002, 07:36 AM   #2
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Requirements change depending on style and organization. What style/organization do you belong to?

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Testing requirements

For most organizations there is a list of requirements at their site, or you can see if one of the local dojo's in your organization has them posted.

I know that our site for LBI has it, and we have handouts for those who wish to see the coming test requirements.

Check with some of the people in your dojo to find if either a list or online list of requirements is available.

Don't get too hung up with trying to master all of them to advance in rank ... sometimes testing quickly and practicing strenuously leads to mimicing the movements without feeling or understanding the basics behinds the movements.

I am sorry to say, we have one fellow who is hell bent on becoming a teacher of Aikido, and too often he displays poor character when faced with me as his partner. Aikido should not be a battle of who is better than who, but your own personal struggle to make yourself better. When this is not your goal, the skills gained are easily overcome.

Keep your list of requirements handy for visual reference, and putting them to memory, but continue to refine your techniques with practice.

Hey, I certainly am not gonna tell some attacker the name of each technique when I am attacked?

Just do it, and remember the terms as best you can. It will all come together. Time and practice.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 AM   #4
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
Sancho Diablo,

I am also a member of IAA. Ranking requirements for IAA can be obtained from your instructor. Do ever go to the hombu dojo in Dallas, or do you work exclusively out of Fort Worth? Either way, and instructor from Dallas shows up to your dojo on Thursdays and you can inquire.

To get your first belt (rokkyu) requires a minimum of 30 hours or 3 months. Most students are ready to prepare for the test at about 3 months of trainings (at least 3 hours a week). The next belt (gokyu) requres another 30 hours or 3 months. The other tests require 6 months and 1 year before you get ready for shodan. Shodan takes a minimum of 4 to 4 1/2 years. I don't think that I have seen anyone get it in less than 5 with many taking 7-10 years.

Another thing, rank should not be a priority. It kind of comes along as you are improving yourself in the art and as a human-being.

Any way, good luck!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:29 AM   #5
Diablo
Quote:
Originally posted by Arianah
Requirements change depending on style and organization. What style/organization do you belong to?

Sarah
I belong to the International Aikido Association, and the style is Seidokan Aikido. The head sensei (terminology?) is Bill Sosa, a 6th dan. I know it will vary from style/organization, but I would like to know the basic requirements.

Diablo
Old 05-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #6
akiy

As Sarah said, "basic testing requirements" vary from organization to organization, dojo to dojo, teacher to teacher, and even test to test. It's kind of like asking what the basic requirements for spelling exams are for elementary school students...

In any case, if you're interested in what Aikikai Hombu Dojo uses as their testing requirements, I posted them here on these Forums a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1625

I believe, though, that the IAA is not affiliated with Aikikai Hombu Dojo.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
Sancho,

Basic requirements for IAA

Rokkyu 3 mo minimum
Gokyu 3 mo minimum
Yonkyu 6 mo minimum
Sankyu 6 mo minimum
Nikyu 6 mo minimum
Ikkyu 1 yr
Shodan 1 yr

Each rank has some different technique requirements - The information can be gotten from your instructor.

IAA is its own style. Bill Sosa Sensei started under Aikikai style when Tohei Sensei was still the chief instructor. When Tohei broke away and created Shinshin Toitsu Aikido, Sosa Sensei and his instructor from Chicago followed Tohei's affiliation. After his instructor passed away, Sosa affilitated with Kobayashi Sensei and was a top instructor for many years. Sosa Sensei was sent to Texas in the late 70s to promote aikido in Texas and Northern Mexico. After Kobayashi's death in 1995, Sosa Sensei created International Aikido Association.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #8
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Interesting. There are no weapons requirements in Aikikai Aikido Testing?
Old 05-14-2002, 12:02 PM   #9
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lyle Bogin
Interesting. There are no weapons requirements in Aikikai Aikido Testing?
Not at Aikikai Hombu dojo, as far as I know.

Organizations under the Aikikai umbrella (eg ASU) may include weapons requirements such as kumitachi and kumijo, though.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:33 PM   #10
Diablo
Thanks for everybody's response. I would also like to thank Bruce Baker and Joe Cavazos for their advice on not making rank a priority. Actually though, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Rather than wanting to rush to take a rank test, I am actually kind of dreading it. I hate to admit it, but I am still having trouble on my forward rolls, and am I am just barely now able to do the backward rolls correctly. My thinking is that if I can't do something simple like rolls, will I be able to do the other stuff correctly?
By the way, Cavazos, thanks for the background on Sosa. Also, I train only at the Ft. Worth dojo, but on Thursdays, Lynn Fabia and David Fabia come from the Dallas dojo to teach.

Diablo
Old 05-14-2002, 12:41 PM   #11
mj
Diablo...who told you rolls were 'simple'?