Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Chris Knight
England
Internal study - recommendation

Can anybody recommend John Bracy's online information and training for sale?

Does anybody know if this is worthwhile subscribing to?

Cheers Chris
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Internal study - recommendation

This John Bracy?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Chris Knight
England

Yes thats right demetrio
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Thomas Campbell

Entirely aside from whether you want your subscription money to go to that particular source . . . . Bracy's is a competently but not exceptionally executed rendition of one line of bump-and-throw Cheng Tinghua baguazhang. Take a look at his movement and applications clips on Youtube and you'll get an idea of what you'd be attempting to train from a distance. You won't be learning internal connection. And without an equally-committed and reliable training partner, attempting to learn MAs of any kind online is fraught with difficulty and opportunities for self-deception.

I think your time would be better spent exploring the art hands-on with a local teacher. There may be one close by, depending on the part of the UK you're located in.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Chris Knight
England

Hmm thanks Thomas. I agree. I suffer from lack of funds andfamily ties and until i can save to try to meet dan or mike or similar ive been looking online for a starter guide. I would never solely train online and my teacher trains with dan when he comes im looking for a guide in the interim to develop basics of body connection and intention etc
regards. Chris
Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
kewms

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
Hmm thanks Thomas. I agree. I suffer from lack of funds andfamily ties and until i can save to try to meet dan or mike or similar ive been looking online for a starter guide. I would never solely train online and my teacher trains with dan when he comes im looking for a guide in the interim to develop basics of body connection and intention etc
regards. Chris
If your teacher trains with Dan, he's probably going to be a better source than any online resource, simply because the nature of this stuff is that videos are unhelpful.

Katherine
Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Lee Salzman

Quote:
regards. Chris
If you don't have access to a teacher and just want something to get your feet wet, it looks like there are some Aunkai instructional videos in their online shop here:

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/shop/index.html

Maybe you've already seen them or ordered them, but in any case, either way, get those vids, watch them, dissect them, practice the material a bit every day, and rinse, lather, repeat. I had an old DVD from an Aunkai workshop I attended years ago that, if those new vids are at least as good, should really be all you need to keep you busy for quite some time.

If it makes you feel any better, there is no right way to start, so don't go worrying too much about that. Just jump in and start making mistakes like the rest of us.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Chris Knight
England

Hi Katherine.
He trains when he comes to the uk but he wants to feel confident in his own understanding before he tries to bring it into our aikido classes. .. Lee, Ive read some some brilliant posts of yours recently. Thanks for the link. Im definitely gonna pursue this. Ive been practising static stuff for around 12 months but want to get some video clarification until hands on time. Being aikido 4th kyu i think this is an Ideal time to incorporate things into my practice as Ive only really just begun
regards

Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
regards. Chris
I see where you're coming from, Chris, and I can empathize . . . . many of us interested in training for internal connection and strength have been in the same position at one time or another. However, you need to be careful of what and how you train, and be clear on your long-term goals. It's been suggested, for example, that you get the Aunkai DVDs and train from them. I would agree with Lee that the Aunkai DVDs provide clear, detailed instruction that you can follow on your own and with a partner . . . . clear, detailed instruction on the Aunkai methods, that is. However, if your long-term goal is to supplement and develop what you are training with your own teacher who's been training with Dan Harden--then immersing yourself in the Aunkai methods may lead you away from that goal. Akuzawa and Harden do not teach the same methods and there are some significant differences--for example with respect to the place of and training of tension. Similarly, Mike Sigman also teaches skill development for internal strength and has DVDs describing the training and exercises that he advocated from several years ago--but still really good material, even if his current approach has evolved to emphasize some different things. But what Mike Sigman teaches is again not the same as what Dan Harden teaches.

I'm not saying that you cannot explore all of these training paradigms and others. The risk though is that, at your self-described beginner's stage, you may encounter conceptual and proprioceptive confusion.

One other consideration is which approach best fits into your goal of integrating the internal strength practice with aikido. I haven't trained aikido in many years, but if you check with other people you will find differing opinions as to which approach fits better into aikido. Try to find someone who's had some success with integrating one of these approaches into their aikido.

I like your thinking about integrating internal strength and connection training early on in your aikido path. Best wishes for successful training.

cheers,

Tom
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post

One other consideration is which approach best fits into your goal of integrating the internal strength practice with aikido. I haven't trained aikido in many years, but if you check with other people you will find differing opinions as to which approach fits better into aikido. Try to find someone who's had some success with integrating one of these approaches into their aikido.
For example, reading his post below, Hugh Beyer might be able to share some insights into baguazhang training and how it works with aikido:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=11

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Taking all the caveats above as given, and not knowing anything about this specific school, I found bagua highly enlightening.

If they're at all decent, and if you absolutely can't get on the mat with someone who has certified IS skills, I don't think you'd be wasting your time there.

What I found is the basic exercises all the way up to the circle walk made it very hard not to practice some of the basic body skills that are useful in IS. You can't mechanically do the exercises without practicing such things as moving the dantien independently of the hips, coiling, bowing (bowing as in bow-and-arrow, not as in rei), and moving the parts of the body individually but connected. Also some good breathing work in there.

It made me very impatient with most of the exercises I've encountered in Aikido. If you aren't going to teach me internals along with the exercises, at least teach exercises that will force me to do something useful rather than let me putz along wasting my time.