Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 10, 2007:

Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Circle
  • Square
  • Triangle
Here are the current results.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido

Maybe this is just too much of a physics mind talking, but I feel like we are missing vector or line. When applying forces in certain directions I think of a guided line with an arrow at one end. When practicing aikido I am applying forces (small ones most of the time) in certain directions.

After a few seminars with C. Clark Sensei, I could also see a square (or rectangle) as a fairly solid representative shape. This is due however to the four corners (four legs) created by two people standing together with connection between them. I believe Clark Sensei's metaphor was a table with four legs, and if you lose the support of one of the legs you effect the others.

Matt
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States
Re: Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido

None of the above as I transcend the boundaries of this linier space time continuum.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Aiki x

What??

Octagon is the most martial shape!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Jun,

I think you need to explain much more clearly what you mean by 'resonate'. I have been training for nearly 40 years now, but I have never been in a situation where a 'shape' 'resonates' with my aikido training.

In my scenario, the other guy is trying to kill me and I have to stop him. What I do afterwards, in terms of aikido as a 'peaceful martial art' is moot. So, after the encounter (which is successful, or I would be dead), I can speculate about the encounter. But what would be the point of further wondering whether my 'resonation' is square, circular or triangular?

As always, best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote: View Post
AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 10, 2007:

Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Circle
  • Square
  • Triangle
Here are the current results.
Since these shapes are symbolic representations of states of energy which are fundamentally integrated, it would be silly to even think of things in this manner... no different than saying, "I really like Yin, not so big on that Yang stuff".

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Mato-san
Iceland

Are we restricted to just circles, squares and triangles? I must be doing my kokyu nage wrong it is a little oval like... when I think about it my shihonage is like that too... damn.... my Aikido must be really bad

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Since these shapes are symbolic representations of states of energy which are fundamentally integrated, it would be silly to even think of things in this manner... no different than saying, "I really like Yin, not so big on that Yang stuff".
When I answered, I didn't like picking one shape over another, but I read the question as asking simply if one of these symbolic forms seems to dominate my movements. In a similar way, I've heard people refer to my own sensei as going through phases where his technique was more yin or yang, though of course there should be both at the same time.
Then again, trying to distinguish between a "triangle" emphasized technique and a "circle" one, I'm having some difficulty. So maybe speaking in terms of movements, this question doesn't work as well, but what do you think about the question as refering to a mental emphasis on entery, blending and, projecting? I know for me these three ideas often come to mind, though almost never as "triangle," "circle" and "square."
I dunno...
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!