Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2001, 09:56 PM   #1
Judson
"Judson"
IP Hash: 6670abdd
Anonymous User
I am interested in studying Aikido, but I am concerned about my size. I am 6'1" and way 250 lbs. I am 24 years old, and have been weight lifting for about 7 years. I also regularly play racquet ball and scuba dive. My doctor says I am in great shape, and I know I would be able to handle the stresses put on my body by studying Aikido, but would my instructor, as well as class mates be able to safely handle a person of my size in a classroom setting?
Old 02-18-2001, 10:21 PM   #2
Erik
Welcome to the party.

I've met people your size before and I enjoy them immensely. There's at least one semi-regular poster around here whom I believe would make you look small or relatively smaller. I'm willing to bet his teacher holds his own with him.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:13 AM   #3
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
Judson wrote:
I am 6'1" and way 250 lbs.
There are several people in one of the dojo's I train at that are your size and bigger. I'm only 5' 4" but I not only have no trouble with them, and it's nice to get the chance to work with someone that is not fairly close to my size. (i'm female in case you wonder).

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 02-19-2001, 03:17 AM   #4
aarjan
Dojo: Aikidostichting "Musubi" De Bollenstreek
Netherlands
Hi, I'm 6'4'' and 110 kg (lbs??) and I'm not even the biggest guy in class. I'm studying Aikido for 1.5 years now.
Often my teacher uses me to demonstrate. I know I'm in trouble when he starts: ".. and if someone if bigger and stronger. Aarjan if you please..."
I have one advice for you, stop thinking about starting Aikido and go do it.

Aarjan
Old 02-19-2001, 09:35 AM   #5
Magma
Hey, there... now... a topic I can jump into with both my big feet.

I am 6'7"+, and as of this morning about 245 lbs, and the people that I work out with have no trouble throwing me around like a rag doll. Think of it this way: you're giving them an opportunity they might not otherwise have of training with your particular body type. Their technique is going to be a bit different against you, but that's good for them. In my dojo, I also get to work out with a guy who is 6'3" 290+lbs and a guy who is 6'3" 220 (mostly muscle) besides the normal sized people (wait... does that mean I'm not normal?...). Between the three of us we cover the gamet of big-guy-types... and we each get thrown according to our ability.

Try this: take classes for a couple of months (enough to learn how to fall), then go up to your sensei and ask him what he would do if someone your size came at him. Just make sure you can fall. Well. Very, very well.

BTW, 110 kg = 220 lbs (for aarjan)

...Or I could be just talking.

Tim

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:47 AM   #6
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Judson!

I just agree with the other ones. Don't worry, just start practice. Aikido is adjustible to every size. We have people from 1.5 m to 2.1 m (sorry, I'm European). I myself am a middlesized women and it's always a challenge for my Aikido to train with someone of your size and weight or with someone that is much smaller or much stiffer than me. Don't worry, really.

Simone
Old 02-19-2001, 11:03 AM   #7
Nick
United_States
I enjoy it... some people don't realize that many times it's the 'big' people that attack small people... I figure if I can throw the largest people in my dojo, than more than likely I can apply the same throw to the smaller people.

Nick
Old 02-19-2001, 01:35 PM   #8
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
I am a big guy in fact on of the larger in my dojo but I have no problems with people wanting to train with me in fact a lot of the members of the dojo enjoy training with me because of my size.

Dan

Dan Hulley
Old 02-20-2001, 02:57 AM   #9
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
That sounds familiar, I have noticed that most of the big guys (6 feet +) do not have any trouble finding 'smaller' people to train with. Or should I say, 'smaller' people like training with you big guys.
I think it's because you can realy test if you are doing a technique right/effectively, also teachers often like to demonstrate on big guys to show that size does not matter in aikido. Personally (being female, 5 10' and 150 lbs) I like working with people who are bigger rather than with very small people, no offence intended but I am always afraid I might break them if I grab them to strongly. However, that has never happened and (probably) never will. It is just a phycological thing, I guess left from the time when I was a child and told, like we all are, never to pick on anyone smaller than meself and now we get a chance to pick on someone who is (alot) bigger .
Are you sure you big guys are up to it?

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:07 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi Judson,

not only should you be ablke to train, you will probably be very beneficial to the training at the club. I've trained with many people bigger and heavier with you, and at first it is very intimidating - but it definately improves your technique. It is especially useful for smaller people & women(inc. me) to train with tall & heavy people as it stops that fear of powerlessness against a bigger/stronger opponent; and lets face it, most people that attack you tend to be bigger and stronger or they wouldn't attack you!

Ian
Old 02-21-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Matt
Dojo: N/A
Dont worry about the others, at first they will be much bettter than you and will be able to handle anything you got. As you get better you will become more sensitive to the abilities of others. Im 6'2", 275 lbs. and I feel my size, at least my muscles, give me a disadvantage because they reduce the fluidity of my movements.
Matt

"It is better to die on your feet
than to live a lifetime on your knees"
Emiliano Zapata