Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 AM   #26
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Christopher. I do Nishio-ryu aikido, which includes ken-tai-ken (sword against sword) and ken-tai-jo (sword against 'stick') techniques to build an understanding of the foundation for aikido AND to practice maai. We also have the oportunity of doing Aiki-to-ho which is a variant of iaido created by Nishio sensei based on the movements of Aikido. I sincerely believe that doing sword works seriously increase your ability in aikido - if done properly. Just practicing a 'regular' iaido-style will teach you a lot, but it might have a differet emphazis than that of aikido. If you want to give it a go, then either come to Denmark during easter. We have a seminar with Arisoue-sensei (student of Nishio sensei) and I will almost gurantee that you wil get a chance to do both to-ho and ken-tai-ken/ken-tai-jo. Another posibility is to look out for any seminar with Shishiya-sensei. He gives 4-6 seminars in Sweeden, Germany and Tchekoslovakia each year. He too is a student of Nishio-sensei, and he has very lovely to-ho. Mind you some senseis might disagree that what Nishio-sensei does is good aikido, but in as far as I can tell there is a really clear relation between his aikido-techniques and his weapons-working. Anyway - you are welcome to come look for yourself.

The easter-seminar will be announced on http://www.aikikai.dk and seminars with Shishiya sensei will be announced on his web-site, which for some reason is only in japanese right now...: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bk2i-ssy/

Hope this helps

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 11-05-2003, 05:57 AM   #27
bluwing27

Dojo: Newcastle (DAN/UKAU)
Thaks Stefan! Thats great news...any idea where I can get info on classes/times etc? Your web page link doesnt seem to work? Maybe I could come check you lot out sometime? I train only minutes away form you on a thursday anyway....in Eldon Square! Its a small world!

And thanks Jorgen too i'll definetley check it out...lokk out for me sometime next year maybe

Best regards

Chris

'The truth is that which is true, whether you know it or not and whether you like it or not'
Old 11-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #28
Upstanding Dragon
Hi Chris

Hiya Chris,

There's loads of classes at the AFC, John mainly teaches Ninjutsu and Advanced Fighting (Geoff Thompson's system).

Bujinkan Ninjutsu is on

Wednesdays, 7pm til 8:30pm

Fridays, 6pm til 7pm

Saturdays, 12ish can't quite remember

There's a traditional weapons class on Wednesday evenings 8:30pm til 9:15pm

Currently we're working with Tonfa.

Apparently the did Sword a while ago, unfortunately I missed that.

As I say, lot of traditional Kenjutsu within Bujinkan, but no actual Sword specific classes. However I do recomend you come along, have a chat, see what he can do for you

Maybe a private lesson, or I believe they do weaponary on Fridays at the moment in the Ninjutsu class...

Hope this helps, bye for now mate

Stefan

Live, Love, Learn and Enjoy Life!

Network of Martial Arts

Old 11-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #29
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
mark johnston (mj) wrote:
I'm not sure but didn't Rod Kobayashi (Tohei student) also have weapons in his form of Ki Aikido?
Yes, we do.
Quote:
Christopher Thompson (bluwing27) wrote:
however I dont know anyone who has had a bokken custom built...yet
I have.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-10-2003, 01:19 AM   #30
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Christopher Thompson (bluwing27) wrote:
And thanks Jorgen too i'll definetley check it out...lokk out for me sometime next year maybe
Okay Christopher! Will do Mail me if you have any questions.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration