Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
shinai_swinger
United_States
Looking for a dojo

I'm afraid that it may be a futile effort, but I am currently in search of an active Aikido dojo in the wiregrass region of Alabama. Specifically Dothan. One result came up on the dojo search, but I assume they are no longer active since the email address bounced, and the phone is disconnected. In searching this forum, I came across a couple of posts back in 2000 from a user here that is also no longer active.

I'm quite surprised that there is no Aikido in this town, as we have a fairly active MA community that encompasses many different styles. I have been part of a small Kendo group here for the past 2 years, and there are a number of different Karate dojos, as well as TKD, Gumdo, Jujitsu, and even a rumored Iai sensei that I have been unable to contact.

If anybody here knows of an active group in this area, I would love to hear from you!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
shinai_swinger
United_States
Re: Looking for a dojo

Looks like I'm out of luck, doesn't it
Old 10-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Nathan - You might expnad you search area. I know there is a new dojo in Boston, Georgia - down near the FL panhandle.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
shinai_swinger
United_States

You wouldn't happen to have any contact info, would you?

They aren't listed in the dojo search, either here, or at aikido.org.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Adam Huss

United_States

There are a couple of schools in the Birmingham area that I am affiliated with. Both are talented instructors and offer karate/tae kwon do, as well as some iaido. I'm not sure, but I am fairly confident that there is at least one othe major school in 'Bama, not sure about anything else other than that. The schools are the Retsushinkan Dojo...dojo cho is Renshi Van Bushnel (I saw his yondan test in 2001, and he's been doing tae kwon do since the late 60's.) Teishinkan Dojo in Pelham, 'Bama is run by Tim Morgan...he just passed his sandan test a few weeks ago, very nice test. He is 2nd or 3rd dan in tae kwon do. Kokkishinkan dojo in Cildersburg is run by Bret Miller....nidan or higher, I don't think I've seen him in a while, not sure of his rank. These dojo are of a "harder" style of Aikikai, under former students of Toyoda Fumio Sensei, with a heavy influence of Yoshinkan, especially at Retsushinkan. Don't know how close these are to you. I've trained at Sensei Bushnel's and Sensei Morgan's, both would be great places to train.
Osu!
~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Adam Huss

United_States

Oh, any other info you need let me know. Sensei Bushnel's dojo has its own website. I can also give you the organizations webpage address. Good luck!
~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
shinai_swinger
United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote:
There are a couple of schools in the Birmingham area that I am affiliated with. Both are talented instructors and offer karate/tae kwon do, as well as some iaido. I'm not sure, but I am fairly confident that there is at least one othe major school in 'Bama, not sure about anything else other than that. The schools are the Retsushinkan Dojo...dojo cho is Renshi Van Bushnel (I saw his yondan test in 2001, and he's been doing tae kwon do since the late 60's.) Teishinkan Dojo in Pelham, 'Bama is run by Tim Morgan...he just passed his sandan test a few weeks ago, very nice test. He is 2nd or 3rd dan in tae kwon do. Kokkishinkan dojo in Cildersburg is run by Bret Miller....nidan or higher, I don't think I've seen him in a while, not sure of his rank. These dojo are of a "harder" style of Aikikai, under former students of Toyoda Fumio Sensei, with a heavy influence of Yoshinkan, especially at Retsushinkan. Don't know how close these are to you. I've trained at Sensei Bushnel's and Sensei Morgan's, both would be great places to train.
Osu!
~Adam
We're about 3 hours from Birmingham, we actually lived there until about 2 years ago.

My wife trained with sensei Bushnel, and I went to high school with his son.

Unfortunately they are too far away for us to train with regularly. Too bad, because I have a great deal of respect for the him (by reputation mostly).
Old 10-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Larry Feldman
United_States

I found the Boston GA dojo using the search engine, just put Georgia in as the state...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
Larry Feldman
United_States

Try here...http://www.bostonaikido.com/
Old 10-31-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
shinai_swinger
United_States

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, that's 2.5 hours from where I live.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to add another couple Kendo practices during the week to keep me busy
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Dan Carreau
Dojo: Chudokan
Canada

Here are Dojos close to you.

Have fun

Dan

Retsushinkan Dojo (Fierce Mind Place)

645 Shades Crest Rd., Birmingham, Alabama, USA 35226

Phone: (205) 822-1671

sensei@usamartialarts.com

Instructor:

Van Bushnell - 4th Dan
Renshi Bushnell's interest in martial arts was sparked while serving as a Sea Bee in Viet Nam during the 60's. His first formal study was with Master Yang Moon of New Orleans, Louisiana where he received his Tae Kwon Do black belt. After relocating to Alabama in 1982, Bushnell Renshi opened Bluff Park Tae Kwon Do teaching the Cha Yon Ryu style. Under the direction of Jarrett Shihan, USA Martial Arts Federation, he began his study of Japanese Karate and Aikido. Bushnell Rensei was granted instructor certification and licensed to teach Aikido in the state of Alabama by Fumio Toyoda Shihan (deceased), Aikido Association of America (AAA) in 1993 and was subsequently granted a license to teach by Kevin Blok Shihan, Chudokai Aikido Federation International (CAFI). Bushnell Rensei received his 4th degree black belt in Aikido in September 2002 and his 6th degree black belt in Chong Shin Tae Kwon Do and Karate in March 1999. He is also a black belt in Judo and Iaido.

Kokkishinkan Dojo (Overcoming Oneself Mind Place)

74 River Run Road, Childersburg, Alabama, USA 35044

Phone: (256) 378-4849

kokkishinkan@msn.com

Instructor:

Brett Miller - 2nd Dan
Miller Sensei began studying Aikido with Bushnell Renshi at the Retsushinkan Dojo of Birmingham, Alabama in May 1996. Miller Sensei's teaching includes fundamentals from both major world Aikido systems or styles, the Aikikai and the Yoshinkai. He was promoted to 2nd degree black belt in September 2001. In addition to his head instructor position in Childersburg, Miller Sensei remains an instructor at the Retsushinkan Dojo.

Teishinkan Dojo(Pure/Steadfast Spirit Place)

403 Walker Way, Pelham, Alabama, USA 35124

Phone: (205) 621-0870

MORG4433@bellsouth.net

Instructor:

Tim Morgan - 2nd Dan
Morgan Sensei began his martial arts training in the early 80's in TaeKwonDo and later in Japanese Karate. In 1997, he began training under Van Bushnell Renshi in Aikido and the USA Martial Arts Federation style of Chong Shin TKD Karate. He was awarded his 2nd degree black belt in Aikido in April 2002 by Blok Shihan and Bushnell Renshei. He received his 2nd degree black belt in Chong Shin Karate in March 2003 and also studies Judo and laido. He is employed by Southtrust Bank in PC and network support and continues as an instructor at the Retsushinkan dojo. Currently he is the head instructor at the Teishinkan in Birmingham, Alabama