Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Pdella
Advice for changing styles early on?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these Forums, but this is my first post. I'd appreciate some feedback on changing dojos/styles, even though I've only been practicing Aikido for about a month.

Right now, I'm practicing a more spiritual/pacifist form of Aikido, the sensei is real cool, and the other students are cool too. The only problem is that the classes are at difficult times for me and the dojo is pretty far.

I have looked up other Aikido dojos in my area, and there are two that look good that are close-by--one is Yoshinkan Aikido and the other is Tomiki/Shodokan, both of which I gather are less spiritual/pacifistic than the form I'm currently learning, but that may give more practical self-defense skills. (I am interested in both practiced self-defense skills AND spiritual growth.)

Any feedback you have on this question would be much appreciated. I can think of 2 questions: (1) How much does Aikido transfer from style to style and dojo to dojo? and (2) Should I stay where I'm at, regardless of the time/distance issues, simply because it's most important that the students likes the sensei & dojo?

Thanks for your time,

Peter
Old 07-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Advice for changing styles early on?

I recommend you visit all the dojos, let them know you are curious about maybe joining, watch a couple of classes at each and get on the mat for a class at each one if they let you (and if they don't, I'd wonder). Rank doesn't necessarily transfer easily, but rank really isn't the most important thing. A good fit for YOU is the most important thing, and only you can judge the how important convenience is vs. the feel of the dojo.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Hi Peter,

I figured out that class schedule was more important for me than distance. And that was smth that I did not consider in the beginning, so take it also into consideration.
If you apply all the time and distance restrictions and you still have a choice, do what all the others advice - go see them.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Peter,

My responses:

1. I think that the fact that two styles are similar makes it harder to learn the new one. If you change, I recommend you really try to keep a fresh perspective. My father in law is a shakuhachi (bamboo flute) shihan, and says that the hardest students to teach are those who have started with another teacher and then come to him while still kind of new in the art.

2. I believe that the relationships between teacher/student and student/student constitute one of the most important factors in the success of any person in the martial arts.

I hope it helps!
Charles Hill
Old 07-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

If you are going to change dojos it would be appropriate to talk to your sensei first. If the dojo schedule does not fit into your personal schedule then obviously you have to find someplace to practice. If that means leaving your current style or dojo then so be it. Like Janet mentioned, visit the other dojos first. Any rank obtained should be left behind and you will begin new as well. It is important to go with an empty cup.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 07-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

I'm going to repeat myself but I would go and try both Shodokan and Yoshinkan for a few weeks. Then decide which one is the best for you which include the current one and the two new ones. It's all very personal.

If you tell me where you are in the world, I maybe able to tell you more about the Shodokan guy. Then again, I hardly know them all and if you're outside of the UK forget it!

One thing I would be wary of, is to train at both dojo. Maybe once you have good grounding in one then you can cross-train. Of course, it all depends.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Pdella

Thanks for all of your advice. I still have some time to make this decision, so I'm going to check out the other dojos. Right now, I'm thinking that I'm going to stay with my current dojo/sensei until I become much more practiced in aikido.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Gareth Hinds
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston

If you've only been practicing a month, don't sweat these issues. You haven't learned anything in an ingrained way yet, and I don't think anybody expects a student to be committed to the school that early in their training.