Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Machida Vs Shogun!!! UFC 104 at the Staples Center

Tonights the night...

I'll wager Machida KO's Rua in the 2nd Round.

William Hazen
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
thisisnotreal

Re: Machida Vs Shogun!!! UFC 104 at the Staples Center

after i got schooled about Machida in 'The Spider" thread; I will not bet against you. should be a good fight. have fun.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Machida got schooled tonight.

Rua got robbed.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Aikibu
United_States

That's what I heard That Shogun controlled most of the fight. I tivo'ed it and will watch it later today.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote:
I tivo'ed it . . . .
I love technology inspired verbs!

I gave Rua 4 of 5 rounds. He beat Machida at his own game and won over a crowd that was decidedly against him. Machida looked confused and unwilling to do what it takes to win.

Unanimous decision for Machida. . . I don't think so. A split decision would have at least been more believable.

If Dana White keeps this crap up, UFC will go the way of boxing.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I love technology inspired verbs!

I gave Rua 4 of 5 rounds. He beat Machida at his own game and won over a crowd that was decidedly against him. Machida looked confused and unwilling to do what it takes to win.

Unanimous decision for Machida. . . I don't think so. A split decision would have at least been more believable.

If Dana White keeps this crap up, UFC will go the way of boxing.
Dana White has no control over the judges. He can't decide who is judging, he can't influence them, and he can't fire them. All he can do is talk to the athletic commission of the state they are in about them. He has already said there will be a immediate rematch.

He's told everyone numerous times, never leave it in the hands of judges.

That said, I hope Machida learns something from this, or he's going to lose his title next time.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Aikibu
United_States

I saw it...Although Shogun appeared to control much of the fight I can see why the judges awarded it to Machida...

As a challenger you have really got to take a belt and I did not see that...Had the fight had a few more rounds then I would bet the judges would have seen what they were looking for ...a knockout submission or TKO.

I can't wait for the rematch.

William Hazen
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Rua got robbed. Champion or not (and he is one of my favorite fighters) Machida was soundly beaten. I'd be surprised if he is walking today. At least you can bet he is limping.

I had no idea Rua could do that. All his other UFC fights left me...somewhat unimpressed. Not anymore!

Rua got ROBBED.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post

As a challenger you have really got to take a belt and I did not see that...Had the fight had a few more rounds then I would bet the judges would have seen what they were looking for ...a knockout submission or TKO.

William Hazen
William, I expected more from you...the fight was 5 rounds, there was no knock out from Machida coming and thats total bull cookies about the Challenger having to beat the Champ on a sliding scale! That rule does not exist in the rule book. Bad call by the judges...

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
thisisnotreal

cool. just checked out the fight<. lots of respect for both of those fighters.
well; a few thoughts..
-usually i tune out joe rogan. I did happen to note when he was calling the fight [round 1] he says that Machida likes to, among other things, work out with Sumo guys. "Really likes to employ unconventional strategies; one of the things he likes is to push guys around". "Makes him difficult to prepare for"..."hard to push around" "Has a rare skill set". interesting .... maybe... naah.
-shogun kicks *hard*. he was impressive. and consistent. he really took out Machida's legs...near the end the wheels fell off. Rua was soo relaxed the whole fight. The body kicks were naaaasty.
-the fight wasn't the blow out robbery that i heard about beforehand (in my humble opinion)...& that I was looking for. i would hated to have to score that fight. that said, round 4 and 5 were pretty clear to Rua. Round 6, had it happened, would have been curtains for Machida i think..I can see why Ron thinks he was robbed...but I have *definitely* seen worse decisions (Mark Hamil v. Bisping, for instance. that was just stupid. this one was debatable at least, no?)
Anyhoo..Will be interesting to see how Machida revamps his strategy for the rematch. Cheers guys.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Yeah, Hamil vs Bisping was a sham too. One of the reasons I was so glad Bisping got schooled by the last guy he fought (can't remember his name right now, one of the ex-olympic wrestlers).

This one might not have appeared so clear cut to some, but I saw Rua winning just about every round. Machida simply wasn't able to score well at all, and didn't seem to hurt Rua even once. Meanwhile, he got kicked pretty much at will. Hit pretty hard as well. I would never have predicted it, based on Rua's other UFC appearences.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
can't remember his name right now
Dan Henderson.

You can thank me later

I'm with you, Ron, although it's probably beating a dead horse at this point. Machida was ineffective and looked confused.

Rua was pretty good back in the Pride days. I didn't think he was going to be able to regain that form, but it looks like he is back.

-Michael
Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
Aikibu
United_States

Ya Know I thought Machida lost or was losing the fight too but what did the judges see that we didn't? My only thought is that Machida took allot of shots and did not go down and did not avoid Shogun...He kept going at him and yes He could not figure Shogun out. It looked like Shogun did his homework and would not allow Machida find his range for that devastating combo of punches and kicks he's known for...Rua would not close with him. Classic Muay Thai vs Karate and yes Rua was picking him apart. However effective Rua was,,, He did not take him out and I still think that is a possibility as to why the judges scored it the way they did..

That being said Machida instantly agreed to a rematch and I think we're going to see one heck of a fight.

Reminds me of the battle's Hitman Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard used to have.

I can't wait.

William Hazen
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hey William, yeah, those were the days for boxing. Unfortunately, boxing was dieing even before the MMA craze...MMA just put the last nail in the coffin.

Best,
Ron (waiting for the rematch also...Machida better do his homework)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 10-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hey William, yeah, those were the days for boxing. Unfortunately, boxing was dieing even before the MMA craze...MMA just put the last nail in the coffin.

Best,
Ron (waiting for the rematch also...Machida better do his homework)
I'm still a boxing fan and have seen some really great fights over the last couple of years, its making a decent come back I think, in terms of putting a good competitive product together...good match ups and lot less of the drama and questionable (fixed) scoring.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer