Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
kienergy1234
United_States
aikido mixed with other martial arts

can you take aikido and another martial art,if so,what martial art would be best,would it be karate,jujutsu,judo,what would be best
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: aikido mixed with other martial arts

see the other threads like the one listed at the bottom of this page

Other Martial Arts and Aikido?

They should answer your questions. The short answer is it depends on where you train, some teachers like it, some don't, and some don't care. As to which one, it depends on your goals...since you didn't state them, its kind of hard to advise...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Aleks
Mexico

I would like to know if it really is advisible to take courses of Aikido where it is not affiliated to Aiki Kai. I train in Monterrey, Mexico, in a dojo that it is not affilitated to Aiki Kai and I feel that I sometimes miss the essential parts of aikido such as philosophy or other techinques that probably in other dojos would be more complete. What should I do in this case?

Aleks
Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, train where you can and in what you can. Every style has something to offer. The choice is actually totally up to you. I tend to really enjoy cross-training in other styles of Aikido and in other arts.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Bill Brownlow
United_States

Hey,
Im brand new to Aikido (4 classes) and loving it; I believe it will be a fantastic supplement to BJJ (about 4 years exp). My philosophy is that I would rather not commit to a fight and go to the ground. This is why I am learning aikido for my stand up techniques. However until my aikido gets to the point where an attacker cant take me down, I've got the "gound & pound" toybox to play with
Old 09-28-2004, 07:45 AM   #6
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States

The best thing that mixes with Aikido is taking a magic course. Apparently the art of desception, and the slight of hand tricks are an extremely effective bonus to almost any martial art.

Just a thought
Ryan
Old 10-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #7
jester

United_States

I think that Judo, and Miyama Ryu Jujitsu have complimented my Aikido.
I study a form of tomiki aikido and it fits well.

In randori, I sometimes will use Osoto-gari or a foot sweep and sometimes a hip throw.

It works well for me, and still fits into the basics principles of my Aikido.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Joshua Dalton wrote:
can you take aikido and another martial art,if so,what martial art would be best,would it be karate,jujutsu,judo,what would be best
From the standpoint of developing my technique I would do Systema unless I was close enough to one of the top aikijutsu instructors (Toby Threadgill Sensei, Angier Sensei for example). From the standpoint of developing myself from a personal standpoint, I'd petition Relnick Sensei to accept me in Katori Shinto Ryu. He is one of the great Budo men in the states. I guess the way I think about this issue, it has more to do with finding a great teacher than a specific art. I've had the best Aikido teachers one could ever ask for and it wouldn't suffice to do another art and have a teacher that wasn't up at that level.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Rather than suggesting other MAs - I would start studying Human Behaviour, and in particular how to read Body Language. If you were adept at these, many potentially violent confrontations could be dissipated.

I spent time at University studying such things, in the Psychology Department. If you've heard of "Psychological Illusionists", such as the amazing Derrin Brown - you'll see how powerful these methods are. Derrin could walk up to anyone on the street and tell them all about themselves, simply by looking at the subtleties of their body language and all those subconscious signals we give out. Obviously, he's spent years studying in this field, but if you are even able to tell when an attack is coming - from observing body language, it would be a great asset to any Martial Artist.

Just a suggestion.

Iain.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I would suggest a sword art, such as Shinkendo.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai

I'd probably be interested in another sword art, or maybe jodo. But realistically, I've thought about Soo Bahk Do and Tai Chi. I've also considered Kyudo.
I think that getting involved with another martial art on top of aikido, tea ceremony and my school work would just be too much, though.

edit: I did Brazilian Jui Jitsu for about two years prior to starting aikido two years ago.
At first, BJJ messed me up a lot in aikido because I'd want to protect my center and wrestle, but now I think that in the right context, it could be a good complement to aikido.

Last edited by Anders Bjonback : 10-25-2004 at 10:02 AM.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 10-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I find BJJ a good complement, but like you say Anders you must be careful. I think it would be very difficult for a beginner to do both. I like the BJJ, but really only because I can apply the things I learned over the years in Aikido.

My impressions with most beginners in BJJ is they fight and use strength too much. Then again, we do it in aikido as well when starting. I think Aikido give a better methodology for learning principles of positioning and balance, whereas BJJ gives you more tactics in a realistic speed.

IMHO, a good mix.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #13
Steve Wright
United_States

Don't you think that a lot of it depends on the instructor you are studying under? His/Her approach to or philosophy of their style has a lot to do with whether or not that particular art is what you want. The person that I study Judo under teaches in a way that compliments Aikido(light, balanced, quick). If I was taught in a different way than I am Judo might be more of a hinderence than a benefit.

Honestly... Take a pottery class, dance lessons(get in good with the wife), a philosophy class. These sorts of topics might really help with your Aikido. Might be fun too. Well, maybe not the philosophy class.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #14
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Learn to dance with a partner. You'll learn more about blending faster than any other way. And learn to follow if you would normally lead, and learn to lead if you would normally follow and you'll learn how to be a good uke and nage fast too!

Jeanne
Old 10-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

But then are you not just dancing? what is the point of doing aikido if you are not trying to resolve conflict or mitigate something. I completely understand the need for "cooperative spirit" and "cooperative technique", but I think you have to walk the edge slightly close to being uncooperative.

It may not be fun at times, and certainly frustrating. I am certainly not in the business of studying budo for warm and fuzzies.

I completely understand what you are saying... to a degree and I am sure we are talking semantics, but for discussion...

Is aikido about blending and cooperating? or is it about mitigating adversity and conflict?

I believe there is a difference.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:59 PM   #16
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Alot of arts (like Aikido and dancing and horseback riding and ice skating and drawing and endless other examples) share many things in common. I do them for their own sakes, but whats wrong if they enhance each other? Especially the arts that involve relating in some way to anaother person.

Jeanne
Old 10-27-2004, 03:54 AM   #17
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan

I choosed to start Katori Shinto Ryu after one year of aikido, and... oh man, simply enlightening even from an aikido perspective.
There are so many points of contacts (expecially in stances/timing/directions of the attacks) I wonder if O'Sensei trained in KSR and used it to develop aikido

1000 times better than aikiken, hands down... "normal" ken stuff during aikido makes me grin, now.... it pales in comparison, IMHO.

Bye!

--
Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #18
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

I suppose if you want to learn self-defence techniques quickly, I would suggest the Korean Art - Hapkido. It has similar joint locks to Aikido, but also has many strikes and a lot of kicks. 6 months of that, and you could probably defend yourself in a fight. It's pretty brutal stuff.

On the other hand, Tai chi. It would compliment Aikido perfectly, and help with mind and body co-ordination - and balance. Relaxing too.

It all depends on why you're doing Martial Arts in the first place.

Iain.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #19
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

[quote=Dario Rosati]1000 times better than aikiken, hands down... "normal" ken stuff during aikido makes me grin, now.... it pales in comparison, IMHO.[quote]

Dario,

With all due respect, I suggest you visit Sendai, Japan and participate in an Aikiken class with John Stevens Sensei. You may find your grin disappearing.

Charles Hill
Old 10-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #20
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
JD Dalton wrote:
can you take aikido and another martial art ....
Absolutely!

Quote:
.... if so,what martial art, would be best,would it be karate,jujutsu,judo,what would be best
What are you interested in? What's available in your area? As long as your sensei doesn't have a cow at the idea of your cross-training, follow your nose and do what interests you.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #21
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan

Quote:

Dario,

With all due respect, I suggest you visit Sendai, Japan and participate in an Aikiken class with John Stevens Sensei. You may find your grin disappearing.

Charles Hill
I don't doubt that. Probably "grin" is not the correct word, my english is too rusty... it had too be intended as "perplexed look", not "smile of superiority".
My journey into aikido and KSR is simply at the beginning, my stated opinion is an "instant picture", not an "absolute view"
By now... kenjutsu stuff seems way better than aikiken to me, in an aikido perspective. I found it straightforward, oozes martiality and is extremely cut and taisabaki oriented, where aikiken looks (to me) unclear in it's purposes in relationship with tai-jutsu.
Maybe this opinion is highly dependent on my beginner status, or maybe I'm looking at the finger rather than the moon, or the way I intend taijutsu by now (very martial, essential and direct), but I cannot deny (for now) this feeling
I fear I'm condemned to look, try, and evaluate an awful lot of things on the subject in the coming years... which will eventually make me change the way I look at ken work, giving both activities the correct place in relationship with tai-jutsu.

BTW, is this John Stevens you mentioned the same who translated "Kihon" into "Best Aikido"?

Bye!

--
Old 10-31-2004, 07:29 PM   #22
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Dario,

What I was responding to in your post was the idea that there is such a thing as one "aikiken." It has been discussed before, but Saito Sensei`s Aikiken is different from Nishio Sensei`s and they are both different from Shirata Sensei`s and Kisshomaru Sensei`s.

Also, it is my opinion that when people unfairably compare "aikiken" with some koryu, they are likely comparing instructors, not styles. Something like Katori Shinto ryu is very controlled as to who can teach it, but I am afraid that there are a lot of teachers out there who have learned Saito Sensei`s stuff from books and video and then teach it. This is not necessarily bad, it is just that there is no quality control like that in the koryu.

Charles Hill

Yes, John Stevens Sensei translated the Doshu`s technical books.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #23
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I have to second Charles opinion here....if you think aikiken is fluffy...go to Sendai. Train. Or catch Stevens Sensei on one of his seminars outside of Japan. Here is the review written by a group that practices koryu that hosted one of Stevens Sensei's seminars:

http://www.ittendojo.org/articles/aiki-12.htm

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Kusarigama

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote:
I would suggest a sword art, such as Shinkendo.
There is now a Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Branch Dojo in Omaha. For more information, please visit our website at: http://suioryu-usa.org

Britt Nichols
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
JD Dalton wrote:
Sweet. I thought it would be a long time before I got to use this

http://www.statisticool.com/bestma.htm

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."