Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #576
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Dan
Strong words [as ever] .Be a good chap and let us know who these Aikido teachers are?You always talk about how useless everybody is and how they do not have aiki.How about letting us know who the aikidoka who do possess aiki skills[over and above yourself of course]....You imo are a bit vague when you talk about Aikido teachers .
If you do not wish to name these people publically send me a private message.I look forward to hearing from you ,hope you are well, Cheers, Joe.
Also, when you set up the criteria and at the same time judge (even though there is no doubt of setting aside your own prejudices), I can see where it could be very difficult without personal connections to the judge to pass.

Dan,
I did send you an email asking to train with you in Southern California. Funny, of the "master classes" I've taken (to borrow a term from the music world), none were so secretive or arrogant. The information was freely (not free as in $) given to those interested without judgement on whether the message was being received.

You must be one of those special teachers than can predetermine which students (will) have an understanding and which won't. Special indeed.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Subject: Orange county training inquiry
To: dojoseminars@gmail.com

Background (short) martial arts career: 1 kyu Yoshinkan Aikido (AikidoDelMar.com for teachers the whole time), almost 4 years. I am NOT a gift to the martial arts community, however I'm ramping up for shodan and I thought this would be a good way to get out see and learn something new and perhaps accelerate my learning rate. Kick it up a notch so to speak. Also, I thought the Yoshinkan style would mesh easily with Daito Ryu, from what I've seen in some videos.

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited by Anthony Loeppert : 06-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #577
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Also, when you set up the criteria and at the same time judge (even though there is no doubt of setting aside your own prejudices), I can see where it could be very difficult without personal connections to the judge to pass.

Dan,
I did send you an email asking to train with you in Southern California. Funny, of the "master classes" I've taken (to borrow a term from the music world), none were so secretive or arrogant. The information was freely given to those interested without judgement on whether the message was being received.

You must be one of those special teachers than can predetermine which students (will) have an understanding and which won't. Special indeed.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Subject: Orange county training inquiry
To: dojoseminars@gmail.com

Background (short) martial arts career: 1 kyu Yoshinkan Aikido (AikidoDelMar.com for teachers the whole time), almost 4 years. I am NOT a gift to the martial arts community, however I'm ramping up for shodan and I thought this would be a good way to get out see and learn something new and perhaps accelerate my learning rate. Kick it up a notch so to speak. Also, I thought the Yoshinkan style would mesh easily with Daito Ryu, from what I've seen in some videos.

Regards,
Anthony
It (probably) doesn't have anything to do with you personally - Dan is just very hard to get a hold of (for anybody), and he's famously bad at answering e-mail. Aiki skills must not translate over into that stuff.

The workshops are not his day job, and he doesn't make any real money at it - he just does it because he loves it. Unfortunately that means some of the emails fall through the cracks.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #578
Anthony Loeppert
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
The workshops are not his day job, and he doesn't make any real money at it - he just does it because he loves it. Unfortunately that means some of the emails fall through the cracks.
Honestly it goes both ways.... I've experienced high level practitioners without all the unprofessionalism. You don't put an email address on the internet asking for emails of interest then not simply hit reply and say 'no'.... 'or yes if not enough of the people I like come'... or whatever.

Is the email address good or isn't it? For some reason the phrase "piss poor" comes to mind. I realize I may be ostracizing myself with this comment and so be it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #579
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Honestly it goes both ways.... I've experienced high level practitioners without all the unprofessionalism. You don't put an email address on the internet asking for emails of interest then not simply hit reply and say 'no'.... 'or yes if not enough of the people I like come'... or whatever.

Is the email address good or isn't it? For some reason the phrase "piss poor" comes to mind. I realize I may be ostracizing myself with this comment and so be it.
Yup, still good - give him a chance, you may forgive him.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #580
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Yup, still good - give him a chance, you may forgive him.

Best,

Chris
Quite right. I've found it's best not to take it personally. He's more or less equally bad at returning a message. Some of us enter conversations we have no real understanding of (cough, cough ), and some of us don't reply to messages. In his defense though, I'm sure his in-box gets flooded pretty regularly.
I try to think of it as a way of practicing our higher levels of spirituality while waiting to get his understanding on IP. I'm sure there is a priority status involved, but the mystique is more a consequence of the conversations online than of some kind fo elitism...so far as I can tell, at least.

Gambarimashyo!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #581
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Registering for an account gives you, me or anyone else the right to post.
Unfortunately, you have an incorrect understanding of rights and privileges. You do not have a right to post on this forum. Jun can at any time, on a whim, decide to remove you, me, or anyone else. Jun can also, at any time for any reason, remove any post. There are no recourses to those actions. You have no right to be here. You have a privilege. It is a public forum where Jun has set the boundaries, the rules, the regulations upon which you, as a registed user, have the privilege to post and interact with others.

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
I'd like to read the rules but cannot find a link to where they're written down. Can you provide me with one?

Ron
Jun has posted them a few times and created a couple of threads for them. But, even in this thread, he has reposted them. See the quote below. Also, if you go to the General Forum, you'll find some of them at the top.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

I don't have the time right now to sort/split this thread out into its components, so I want to ask you folks to help me out here. I'll just state a few guidelines that I hope will help this thread (and others):
  1. Please start a different thread when the topic that you are discussing veers away from the original topic.
  2. Please make sure to connect your thoughts to aikido when posting in the aikido-related forums here.
  3. Please keep your posts respectful and civilized; stay away from personal attacks and disrespectful language/conduct.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #582
Anthony Loeppert
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Quite right. I've found it's best not to take it personally. He's more or less equally bad at returning a message.
I didn't take it personally. I purposefully explained I'm a lowly yoshinkan 1st kyu. I understand there are limited spots. I expected a response in the negative, but I thought "what's the harm in shooting off an email?". Now I see the flaw in my plan, expecting the response. It may have sounded like sour grapes before, but that wasn't my intention. I guess I just wanted to say publicly "I tried"...

Anyhoo... I stopped holding my breath a while ago. With all the "controversy", for lack of a better word, swirling around my curiosity got the better of me but I don't have a burning desire to attend. Perhaps that's what will separate the attendees from non-attendees.

Last edited by Anthony Loeppert : 06-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #583
akiy

I feel that this thread has veered off-topic enough.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread