Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Aikido's Spirit, open to interpretation?

If the Spirit of Aikido open to interpretation?

I wonder how much of our social and religious truths deter us from imbracing the truth of the universe?

No, really.

We adapt to our social situations around the world, so that we may live in peace with our countrymen, and neighbors. We adopt a belief of religious faith that falls within the social norms of that society or at least quantify what we believe to fall within the ultimate goals of religious beliefs.

Sometimes the search for spiritual wholeness gets twisted into what others have interpreted the world to be, which we must adopt or be ostrichsized from that society.

As far as the Bible thumping, Jesus saves your soul, christians, and LDS initiates that come to my door three or four times a year, they are trying to please someone elses belief and bring the rest of the world into their sphere of infuence. When I start telling them about the goals of Aikido, or of the ways of the Great Spirit, or even my theorey about the ultimate goal of energy and matter in the universe, I usually get a "God Bless You" and stupid looks of wonder? Which makes me think that they have reservations to the first class section, when in fact there is no particular way to buy your way into heaven. It is the spirit of a person that makes the transition to the plane of energy that holds the universe together.

So, I wonder about the actual spirit of Aikido and its interpretation in wide world.

How do you live with the tenents of Aikido?

Its Spirit is seeking peace, while our bodies train in ways of semi-violence, fighting, and neutralizing violent situations?

How does that translate in your religious beliefs?

It would be interesting to get opinions beyond my Christian, Native American slant on the Spirit of Aikido?
Old 05-14-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
Jim23
Maybe you're right. By training in aikido we can find the truth of the universe. Problem is ... you could also be wrong. You could also be very sincere in your confusion - never think of yourself as all-knowing (who said that?).

Should we have a really deep debate here on an aikido forum? Is this the place? Should we debate the Buddhist scriptures ... or the miracle tales of Kobo Daishi ... or ichirei-shikon-sangen-hachiriki? Should we criticize other teachers or traditions (who said that?)? The Art of Peace has room for each of the world's eight million gods - should we cooperate with them all?

Is aikido really the doctrine endowed by god to clarify the workings of the universe?

Personally, I'd shut up and train.

Too much LDS in the 60s can really fry the brain.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 05-16-2002, 08:44 AM   #3
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
It is very difficult to incorporate Aikido into my religious beliefs...... I have none. I do not believe in heaven, hell, God/Gods, the tooth fairy, santa claus etc.etc.
I do not believe in reincarnation, I have enough trouble with real milk.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-16-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
aiki_what
"aiki_what"
IP Hash: 9fbb21a4
Anonymous User
Talking LDS

You must have really dropped too much acid if you can't remember how to spell LSD!!
Old 05-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Jim23
Re: LDS

Quote:
Originally posted by aiki_what
You must have really dropped too much acid if you can't remember how to spell LSD!!
I just can't get the darn spelling right, no matter how I try.

Yikes! I was being facetious. It's an old joke (still like how it tied into LDS in the original post though).

Jim23

Old 05-16-2002, 03:24 PM   #6
Jakusotsu
Mormon Conspiracy?

Quote:
Perhaps its a Freudian slip? A moment of recovered memory?

Perhaps there is a Mormon conspiracy somehow involved.

You've really got to watch the Latter Day Saints. Who knows how they all tie into this.

(no offense, of course, intended to anyone who might take such)

Eric Kroier
Old 05-17-2002, 08:11 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, everything is open to interpretation. There are so many styles, applications, and variations of Aikido because everyones personal interpreatation is different. But its still all Aikido.

There is a group called Aiki Extensions that applies the Aikido principles to many area of life. Check them out.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
Bruce Baker
LSD and LDS

My thought on this touchy subject?

If we had more LSD for the LDS, maybe we would have a reason to bring more young people into the power of the wild weekend!

No ... really.

If you are a graduate of LSD, I hope your brain is still intact ... everyone has their own way of dealing with short finality of life. Some people accept it for what it is, and some do not.

Maybe it is time to pose the Zen question?

Zen question, you may ask?

Yep.

Where the question is the answer, and the answer is as right as it is wrong.

The only correct answer is the one that has meaning for your own life.

Nah! Too easy.

Just does the value of Aikido fit into the white or black Christian Society of Today?

How does it fit into the immoral business world?

How does it fit into the world of kill the other guy, his family, and everyone he/she knows in todays first strike, the last one left standing wins everything world since we have switch to a terrorist wary world after 9/11/01?

If you haven't thought about how it fits into just a few of these things, maybe you should.

If you practice Aikido, it really does concern you and make a difference how you act or are prepared to act.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
Jim23
Brucie in the sky with diamonds.

Jim23

Old 05-22-2002, 02:51 AM   #10
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Exclamation Aikido's Spirit

I was reminded of all this, when I started reading K. Tohei's new book The Way to Union with Ki. For him, it's quite clear that you study aikido to find the truth of the universe.
Quote:
Ki Society Motto
Let us have a universal spirit that loves and protects all creation and helps all thing grow and develop. To unify mind and body and become one with the universe is the ultimate purpose of my study.
When you spend your time looking at techniques, you tend to forget the spirit of aikido. It's this spiritual side that is usually ignored by aikidoists.

The spirit of aikido is also linked to the concept of Ki/Chi/Qi. The idea of a life force is common in many cultures thoughout the world. Primal religions and shamanism indicate that the life force concept dates to the prehistoric, making it much older than modern western religions.

This concept appears to run opposite to mainstream western religions. However there are mystical beliefs in Islam, Judaism and Christianity, which appears to recognize the concept of the life force.

The word religion comes from the Latin root word religio which means "to be connected to". Therefore religion connects us to Life. Using this widen concept of religion, things like raising a family, working and going to school, are all ways that we connect to our lives.

Another possible religious activity could also be the simple act of baking bread. Here is a quote from Crust & Crumb by Peter Reinhart, which reflects the way I view aikido.
Quote:
Crust & Crumb, Pg ix
Life goes on from moment to moment, experience to experience, and never seems to stop offering lessons for growth. What many people lack, though, is a way to tie these experiences into a meaningful whole, a context in which to experience the connectedness of all creation. Many of these potential life lessons slip past us because we do not have an adequate gathering net...
For me, that gathering net is aikido.

When you ask if the spirit of aikido is open to interpetation, I would have to say no. It seems to me that the spirit of aikido is only open to discovery.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 05-22-2002, 03:15 AM   #11
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
...."switch ito a terrorist wary world after 9/11"..... The IRA first bombed my city in the twenties. I was taught at school about suspicious packages. Terrorism awareness goes with being British.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-22-2002, 04:29 AM   #12
IrimiTom
Quote:
Let us have a universal spirit that loves and protects all creation and helps all things grow and develop...
I don't believe the concept of a life force that runs through everything is opposite to mainstream western religions. I don't train in Shin Shin Toitsu, so please feel free to correct me, Ted (or anyone else for that matter) but in Tohei's Ki in Daily Life, he seems to make quite a close parallel between the Islamic/Judeo-Christian concept of God (the real one, not the "western" one) and the "universal". I think, I would like to think, that most people train in Aikido to make the world a better place. To better people's lives, to be able to heal, end suffering, to protect our own lives causing as little harm as possible, even to our attackers, is, IMHO, one of the ways (or the best) to achieve harmony with God, Ki, Mother Nature or whatever one wants to call it.
I believe different interpretations make people believe we are looking for different things, until we actually are. When somebody uses God/Allah/etc's name to support a "cause" which brings suffering, to me that is just like learning Aikido to better know how to hurt others. To many this idea may sounds stupid, but it appears some have gotten used to the other one.
It is probably very valid to say that before we attempt to help others we have to be in harmony ourselves, etc. But I believe too much emphasis is put on "self-discovery" and "self-realization" and other selfs, so instead of all of us trying to find our own interpretations of the "spirit" of Aikido, why not look at everyone else's first?
Sorry about the rant.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:56 AM   #13
Mr. P

Dojo: BMS Aïkido
Anyway, O'Senseï didn't achieve in discovering Aïkido. We have to continue his work. I think we ARE the Spirit of Aïkido.

So, in order to answer the question : "Nope !"

Mr. P

Never pay attention to someone using smileys...
Old 05-22-2002, 08:13 AM   #14
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, while we may use different words to describe our understanding or interpretation of the spirit of Aikido, it does not change the actual oneness of it. It has been enjoyable to me to expereince different instructors (like at the Aiki Expo) who describe/interprete it differently, yet they actual experience feels very much the same.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:50 AM   #15
Mr. P

Not really what I think, but we agree on this point : we practice in the same stuff (you call it Aïkido, that's it ?).

But, something annoys me : there were many comparisons between Aïkido and religions .
Even, if you're atheistic, catholic, taoïst or even (perhaps) a zealot of the "Holy Sauerkraut" sect , stays a way of life, of being happy , of building oneself, etc. ...
For example, a catholic may wants to be married and have many children. Maybe, he prefers to work hard and live alone (I don't know why, who cares ?). But, after all, a bouddhist could think the same way, couldn't we ?

To me, the Ki is only a abstract concept we try to reach, to Understand (note the big 'U'), like stories of O'Senseï are about. So, if it's a "experiment", we can be of any religion, it doesn't interfere.
Finally, we are wise enough to choose, to see where ideas stop and propaganda begins, aren't we ?

Mr. P

Old 05-22-2002, 01:31 PM   #16
Bruce Baker
Spirit of Aikido/ Sacrifice?

I guess the lurkers, and the comedy kings who pass the small phrases of conceptual wisdome are unaware of the sacrifice and commitment of those who continue to be practitioners of Aikido?

That is to say, what is your goal of practicing aikido, and in what spirit will it be used if you are called upon to stand up to those who would stand against society?

Are you prepared to die?

Hard question, but in effect your entire martial arts training is oriented to that question ... could you, would you be prepared to sacrifice your life for what you believe to be right?

Is this not the end game for your training in Aikido, and it's ultimate goal for your spirit?

If it is not, then what is your spirit of Aikido?

Training is not always the angry, killing goal orientation, sometimes it is the benevolence of love for the your life, and the society you live in? Sometimes, the spirit of Aikido is the sacrifice of material goals, and gains in order to protect and secure the benevolent society that gives us our freedom without having to fight for it?

Is this, not also, the purpose of train, train, train ... an attempt to secure the reinforcement of our own peace of mind in supporting the freedoms which we enjoy?

I remember how certain people were, seemingly, more skilled in sparring and practice when I first began martial arts, but over a few short months, I became their equal or better with practice.

It was not because I couldn't take a punch, or I wanted to hurt them, it was because I thought of it as a game against a nonentity, but still trying to keep within a margin of physical safety.

You could say, the spirit of that discipline was to become better that all opponents for the sake of superiority, not for the betterment of the individual, or society.

Of course, a small number of us did seek to improve skills based upon our own shortcomings, and we helped each other no matter how skilled or unskilled our partners were in sparring ... the spirit of picking up your brothers in training was the rule.

It may have been misplaced idealism, but even many years later, we are still concerned how our lives are progressing, and we keep abreast of how the karate gang has gotten on over the years.

My point?

The spirit of comaradarie for the good of the community, the training and sacrifice for being a voice of the community, or a protector of innocents (not that we are to seek out violence and deal with it vigilante style), but to have the confidence to be able to confront most attackers without killing them ... is this the spirit of which you learn, or is it the malaise of "{I did it once" when you talk to people over drinks or social situations?

What kind of spirit does your Aikido training take?

Zealous, benevolent ... casual?

Scoffing at any dialogue outside of your set standards?

What is the spirit that drives you to do Aikido, and is it different when you are on the streets, or at work?

I might be asking too much? Unlike many of you who must commit time to work, play, and just getting daily chores done, I don't have the restrictions of blocking my time.

Still, Consider.

How you percieve the physical training, verses the spirit in which you accept the various hours of training, seminars and personal practice will make a mark on how you progress to tapping into the inner strength of will within yourself when the physical strength begins to fade?

That is the purpose of cultivating the Spirit of Aikido, even if you don't understand it at first, it will come back later in life.

So ... just consider ... what is your spirit of Aikido?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #17
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Spirit of Aikido/ Sacrifice?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
I guess the lurkers, and the comedy kings who pass the small phrases of conceptual wisdome are unaware of the sacrifice and commitment of those who continue to be practitioners of Aikido?
Fear not, Bruce, the 'comedy kings' you speak of are mere pretenders. We all know the throne is yours.

Sean
x
Old 05-22-2002, 08:23 PM   #18
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim ashby
...."switch ito a terrorist wary world after 9/11"..... The IRA first bombed my city in the twenties. I was taught at school about suspicious packages. Terrorism awareness goes with being British.
Have fun.
I agree with Jim, terrorism has been a constant in our lives for many years in the UK. I worked in London for about 10 years, and was on constant alert during that time. I was in an office 500 yards along the street when the bomb went off at the back of John Lewis a few years back, I can remember vividly the feeling as the sound hit us and the windows started shaking, not to mention the numerous, and I stress numerous station closures, evacuations and delays that we suffered, both from genuine scares to simple forgotten luggage. Then there was the stock exchange, or how about the child in Warrington, blown up by a bomb whilst out shopping, to mention just two more of hundreds of attacks in the UK, the terror is quite often forgotten or ignored until it hits closer to home, but it has most definately been around for a lot longer than 911.

Last edited by batemanb : 05-22-2002 at 08:31 PM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-22-2002, 09:34 PM   #19
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Wink All in kitchen - Inside door open

Quote:
Originally posted by IrimiTom

...in Tohei's Ki in Daily Life, he seems to make quite a close parallel between the Islamic/Judeo-Christian concept of God (the real one, not the "western" one) and the "universal"...
But isn't the Islamic/Judeo-Christian concept of God a western one, since these are all western religions? God is this old guy with a white beard who rewards the good and smites the evil. Since he's all powerful, you don't want to mess with him. Luckly he happens to back your religion, or that's what your priests tell you.

BTW priests are an interesting group of people. They devote themselves to telling others how to define their religion and what are the proper actions within that religion. So it wasn't unexpected that during a recent World Congress of Religions, the priests of different religions were always arguing with each other.

Another group at the World Congress were monks. These are people who generally keep to themselves and practice various devotions to enhance their religious experience. Unlike the priests, the monks of various religions, got along quite nicely with each other. They often wondered what was wrong with the priests.

I think a priest would say the mainstream theology of western religions runs counter to the concept of Ki/Chi/Qi. However in practice, you have both priests and monks. Perhaps this was what Tohei was getting at.
Quote:
Originally posted by IrimiTom
...It is probably very valid to say that before we attempt to help others we have to be in harmony ourselves, etc. But I believe too much emphasis is put on "self-discovery" and "self-realization" and other selfs, so instead of all of us trying to find our own interpretations of the "spirit" of Aikido, why not look at everyone else's first?...
Of course you're going to look at other interpetations of the spirit of aikido, but you should also be comparing them to the template of your experiences. By trying to figure out the spirit of aikido, you can better understand your goals and how to achieve them. When something becomes a self-discovery you know you've really learnt something! Isn't aikido, in part, about self-discovery?

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 05-23-2002, 03:09 AM   #20
Mr. P

As an answer to Bruce's (too long or inspirated) sayings, and maybe to agree in Ted's point of view, I will tell a story about André Nocquet (the first ganjin uchi-deshi of O'Senseï).
Let's do camp fire and relax ...

André Nocquet was the first non-Japanese uchi-deshi of O'Senseï. He was already studying Aïkido, but in a western way. So, when his Japanese first senseï introduce him to M.Ueshiba, he took the opportunity to see other opinions, another culture, etc. ...
M.Ueshiba met him, made a friend of him and taught him his Art.
After a long training (I can't remember how long ), O'Senseï asked him for only one thing : making Aïkido spread, not following Japanese culture, but following A.Nocquet's feelings and (western) meanings of Life.

Finally, Ueshiba asked him not to change his way of life, his thoughts, or anything else. He asked him to do as he wished, because, after all, Aïkido is a way to reach harmony. So, IMHO, I think O'Senseï didn't see any advantages in the fact his uchi-deshi "fighting" his compatriots about such a question.

To conclude (or to summarize a bit), here's why I think Aïkido is only a way of Life, not a religion. It doesn't interfere with anything, and it's its own essence.
So, if you're fully concerned by Aïkido, you're, per consequence, fully concerned by matters of freedom or justice. It seems not paradoxal at all...

Now, if one seeks only techniques to break people, he won't find anything and stop his training.

Mr. P

Old 06-12-2002, 08:42 AM   #21
Bruce Baker
Allignment and Peace ...

Good story.

Which brings me back to "... if you are alligned with your god, and at peace, and I am alligned with my god, and at peace, then with that peaceful intent ... we just have to be able to get along."

Which brings home the point of each of us finding the allignment of peace within ourselves, our society, and being able to tolerate the differences within others who must also tolerate the differences in us.

If we have lost any of you in this philosophical discussion, please drink more alcohol ... instead of ranting and raving, thanks.

To close, I hope ...

The original point was to bring home the concept that man makes up his own religion based on economic or social benefits to him/her. The actual greater good is done without benefit to self.

In Practicing Aikido, we offer ourselves as protectors to the true spirit of making a better world for ourself and others.

The only problem I have with that is ... when are we going to get involved with rebalancing the ecosystem known as Earth?

A lot of our developement problems for population density are the root cause for environmental destruction, and the careless attitude of city life that degrades into a quasi militaristic society that says 'Kill or be killed?" A dispair attitude that allows crime/violence to be the righteous value to continue existence.

Should we, as Aikido practitioners, continue to deal with the results of this Industrial Revolution and Manifest Destiny of Industry which use the worlds population for their profit margins, or should we speak up in the moral and spiritual sense to find a solution to uncontrolled expansion?

In other words, we will find a harmonious solution to our children, grandchildren etc ... for seven or more generations ahead instead of wanting everything now ... with no thought of the future?

If we are gonna train to find harmony in difficult situations, why not apply it to our very social-economic structure that is becoming our environmental downfall?

Babbling? Maybe?

But if there ever was a good cause to use the principles of Aikido's harmony, why not the continued existence of the human race?

Just a thought.

And about this god thing, I think O'Sensei had the right idea about letting each person adopt the tenents of Aikido to fit into their own religion, but once that happens, the conscious mind evolves that religion just a little more beyond what it was into a universe beyond humanitys understanding, but one we all live in just the same.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:55 PM   #22
Jim23
I think I need a drink.

Jim23

Old 06-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #23
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Spirit and body !

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim23
Maybe you're right. By training in aikido we can find the truth of the universe. Problem is ... you could also be wrong. You could also be very sincere in your confusion - never think of yourself as all-knowing (who said that?).

Should we have a really deep debate here on an aikido forum? Is this the place? Should we debate the Buddhist scriptures ... or the miracle tales of Kobo Daishi ... or ichirei-shikon-sangen-hachiriki? Should we criticize other teachers or traditions (who said that?)? The Art of Peace has room for each of the world's eight million gods - should we cooperate with them all?

Is aikido really the doctrine endowed by god to clarify the workings of the universe?

Personally, I'd shut up and train.

Jim23
Hi there !
This is my first attempt at replying,
so please excuse me if I screw something up!
Whenever I get confused on the matter of spirit and training,I think of taking your beat-up body to the street and lead it down to the Dojo,where usually the outcome is better than your body was trying to convince
you of just ten minutes earlier.
If overcoming your body and showing up for
training isn't a victory of spirit guiding body,I don't what else it is.
Aside from that,this is a complex matter and I'll leave it at that,but your body and mind
being in the Dojo interacting with everybody
present is a strong indication of willingnes
to grow AiKi-spirit - I think.
yours - Christian B.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #24
SeiserL

United_States
Is spirit open to interpretation? I believe spirit is spirit and that it may be open to idiosyncratic semantic labeling, but it still remain spirit.

I do believe that in Aikido where ever the head goes the body follows. A good saying literally and metaphorically. If we just focus on the technical proficiency of the waza we will develop physically. If we focus on the enter and blend we will develop more harmoniously. If we focus on our intent and purpoe for training we develop more mentally and perhaps psychologically. I think we need to process this sequentially before we get to using Aikido to develop spiritually. And if we never focus on those aspects and principles that apply to all interactions, we can easily miss their development.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 06-29-2002, 09:02 AM   #25
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Red face

Haven't you noticed? Each and every breath you take in and release is open to interpretation: "the breath of life", "the small death", "Do you think that's air you're breathing..?", "become the breath", etc. We can all look at something blue and see a slightly different shade (or even color!). It seems to me your question was answered in the asking of it... Dream on

~~Paula~~