Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2002, 12:28 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: eaa0854f
Anonymous User
An embarrassing incident

Something really embarrassing happened to me in the dojo the other day. During practice I became a little aroused. I kind of paniced and I think it drew more attention to my situation. This is an embarrassing question but, is there an descrete way to deal with this if it should happen again? I don't want to embarrass myself or my partner.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:58 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
is there an descrete way to deal with this if it should happen again? I don't want to embarrass myself or my partner.
Yes.
Wear your gi pants next time.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:34 AM   #3
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Don't worry, this is a perfectly normal reaction for some people when in close physical contact with a lot of men wearing skirts.

Slightly more seriously:

Was it a "sometimes it just does that for no good reason" boner (can I say 'boner' in this forum?) or a "my uke is really cute and not wearing a T-shirt / big and hairy and wearing a skirt" boner?
(I'm assuming you're male, Unregistered)

Being embarrassed is fine, and part of aikido (if you're don't embarrass yourself half the class you're not working at your limit) - the problem comes when achieving wood intimidates and upsets your partner.

So depending on the situation, you could:

1. Ignore it and keep practicing. Working a bit harder, so to speak, should get the blood moving to where it should be. It normally shouldn't show that much when you're moving.

2. Take a water break, if your dojo allows it, while you detumese. You can drink the water, or pour it down your gi if it helps.

3. A couple of breakfalls, a sharp slap to the back of the neck or any strong impact on the body will help lower the salute (the body goes to fight/flight and pulls blood away from such areas - its also good for nosebleeds).

4. Say "Hey, I've just thought of a new way you could throw me!".

5. Wear a hakama. It's a little known fact that most yudansha are aroused all the time. It comes from wearing silky underwear. That's not the knot in their belt - they really are happy to be practicing with you. That's why they smile so much.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 04-28-2002, 08:30 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
If you're blessed to the point that anyone noticed your condition, I'd say that congratulations are in order!

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-28-2002, 01:37 PM   #5
guest1234
I am also assuming you are a male (really sucks to have a Y chromosome ), and also guessing you are fairly young (a job, house payments, and toddlers tend to help keep testosterone in check). The guys already gave some pretty good advice in terms of a. the reaction is not uncommon (all that testosterone ) b. what to do about it. I'd like to throw in a female point of view:

I don't think I'd notice, even in irimi nage or koshi nage and even if you had something (as Greg mentioned) to be very proud of... but if I did, I'd understand it was nothing personal...

Now, I am also well past my teenage years, and understand that these things happen. If you are in an adult class, it shouldn't be an issue... adult women should know there are just some things that one can't control. If you are a young male in a teen/kid's class, well, your partner might take it personally, but again I doubt she'd notice. It also might be time to move into the adult class.

ps to Shihonage...again, no picture ?
Old 08-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
mike lee
Do symbol ki

I'm sorry that so many people made fun of your question, because if it was asked in seriousness, I think it deserves a serious answer.

It could be a result of ki beginning to move and strengthen in your body. It seems that one of the first places ki goes when there is a sufficient surplus is the sex organs. I think this has to do with the survival of the species.

In yoga, there are seven vital points of spiritual energy that run along the medial centerline of the body. In yoga, these points are called chakras. In Chinese medicine it's one of the primary maridians. In martial arts, if one of these points is struck with suffient force, the person will die.

The yoga masters know that as they create and store ki through their practice, that the first place ki wants to go is the sex organs. I think this is called the Earth chakra, and it is considered to be very base for those who are engaged in spiritual training. They therefore train themselves to get their ki to gradually flow upward through the seven chakras until the ki is centered in the highest chakra in the middle of the forehead.

In tai chi chuan, similar principles are followed.

People who practice yoga say that aikidoists concnetrate too much of their ki on the hara, one of the lower chakras, and that such practice can hinder spiritual progress. (Please don't kill me, I'm only the messenger. )
Old 08-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #7
"2lazy2login"
IP Hash: ccdbc9d0
Anonymous User
sensei said once

if this happens

don't worry

it's blood flowing

because you're relaxed

it'll pass quicly enough

don't poke people

and people won't notice
Old 08-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #8
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Just try to void front breakfalls

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 08-06-2002, 10:58 PM   #9
janet
Dojo: City Aikido
Michael wrote: Just try to void front breakfalls

heheheh, Michael, don't you know a person can't void when he has an....oh...never mind...

I agree with those who say its likely non noticeable. If you fear it is, simply do what anybody does if temporarily unable to train: bow to your partner and sit down on the edge of the mat and wait quietly. If asked, lie and say you just need to catch your breath.

janet
Old 08-07-2002, 04:24 AM   #10
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Quote:
Just try to void front breakfalls
Sorry i just had this image of a spining top!!!

My sides hurt from all the laughing!!

anyhoo dont worry about it you've prolly got a really cute Uke and its well known that the average male thinks of sex like every six seconds, i think you'll find that if your partner is mature enough they may just ignore it or something, hey if she notices you might get lucky and she'll ask you out

have you seen austin powers 3? "kickstand eh?"

if your worried about being embarassed in class then simply look at someones face as they hit the mat i find this strangly easing.

i bet i look really wierd

oh and aikido is not like acting dont try to imaging the class nakid this will only make matter worse.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-24-2002, 09:42 PM   #11
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
Think about getting kicked in your...uh... neater reasons. That will take care of it.

If it doesn't you can ask your partner to do it for you.

Your uke,

Ben

The one who knows the least knows it the loudest.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:40 AM   #12
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Despite the jokes from everyone, it's still an embarrassing situation to find yourself in (even if it is a bit funny afterward). I'd recommend using an athletic support - a good idea in any event. It IS MA after all...

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:27 PM   #13
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 3f1b7e2c
Anonymous User
hehe really sux 4 u if it is not noticeable. lol
Old 08-29-2002, 04:43 AM   #14
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Tim Griffiths wrote:
5. Wear a hakama. It's a little known fact that most yudansha are aroused all the time. It comes from wearing silky underwear. That's not the knot in their belt - they really are happy to be practicing with you. That's why they smile so much.
I thought this was supposed to be a secret on which only hakama-wearers were allowed in.

Now you have let the whole world know the truth about wearing a hakama.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 08-29-2002, 07:09 AM   #15
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
If it really becomes a problem, I would say you need to wear a protective cup to keep the tent from rising.

Either that of a heavy duty jock strap until you age a few more years and get control of mind and body.

The natural process of procreation is one of the hardest things to control, but do your best and everything will work out ... eventually.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 PM   #16
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 89d8cceb
Anonymous User
Next time it happens, drop your pants quickly, the laughter will soon take care of it .
Old 08-30-2002, 08:19 AM   #17
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: bb16a055
Anonymous User
Eek!

Think about dead car batteries.

Works every time.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:33 AM   #18
Jat2
As our Sensei always says

"when your on the matt think only of Aikido and nothing more" if you do this surely it will pass. If it doesn't well.....don't move your gi too much, it might bulge..

What were you thinking of anyway?

live