Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Pete Rihaczek
United_States
Traditional Chen Taiji Training in Los Angeles

Those of you in the Los Angeles area who are interested in learning internal mechanics from the ground up have an opportunity to do so with regular instruction. If you have followed any of the internal training discussions, you may have seen these clips of Chen Bing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBBhVLbDgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

Bosco Baek is a disciple of Chen Bing, and has recently moved to Los Angeles and started teaching in Hollywood. Classes are from 3 - 5 every Saturday at Hollywood Dance Studio, 817 N. Highland Ave, Hollywood. Cost is $30 per class. Wear a T-shirt and comfortable athletic shoes, and bring a towel because if you're serious about putting in old school work for real results, you will sweat. This is an opportunity to build a martial body from square one, Chen style. For more information, you can email Bosco at bosco@chenbing.org or visit www.chenbing.org.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Traditional Chen Taiji Training in Los Angeles

Can you give me an idea of what the classes are like and what is covered for a newb? I'm still struggling with the vocabulary but color me intrigued...

Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Pete Rihaczek
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Can you give me an idea of what the classes are like and what is covered for a newb? I'm still struggling with the vocabulary but color me intrigued...
Hi Keith,

It looks like you're significantly closer to Hollywood than I am, so if you have any interest in internal training this would be a no-brainer. If you live in LA the "I don't have anybody to teach me this stuff" excuse is out the window.

Since Bosco just moved to LA everybody is a newb and we're starting from square one. The curriculum is the traditional Chen curriculum with the intention to change your body into one capable of driving motion with the dantien and developing a physical understanding of spiraling energy. So far the classes have involved standing, silk reeling, beginning forms and other odds and ends. Bosco is very open with answering questions and gives lots of hands-on corrections to what you're doing.

I've done BJJ and a number of other arts in the past, and quite honestly I can't remember anything being this difficult. Invariably a corrected posture seems to be that which makes your thighs burn and shake the most. However it's easy to see the end goal in the way Bosco moves and understand that it's a necessary part of the process to get the right body requirements burned in. The bottom line is it's tough, sweaty work, but if you stick with it you have the opportunity to gain an ability that is exceedingly rare in the martial arts that few have a chance to learn. Bosco has a lot of good information from Master Chen Bing and Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang and he is a capable teacher.

I've been involved in online discussions about internal strength for a long time without having had the opportunity for regular instruction from a solid lineage, and I can tell you firsthand that all the talking in the world pales in comparison to even a little bit of hands-on with somebody who wants you to learn correctly. I hope that answers your question, but you don't have to know anything at all to train there, everyone is just starting out. Bosco is very serious about giving dedicated people the goods though, so if you are serious about learning real internal skills you won't get a better opportunity.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
gdandscompserv

United_States

Pete,
Thanks for the info. Hollywood is somewhat closer for me than the Taoist Sanctuary in San Diego, however, it is still quite a jaunt from Barstow California. Would your teacher, Bosco Baek, be willing to accept a student that could only attend class say, once a month or so?
Ricky
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Pete Rihaczek
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
I forgot to mention, classes are normally Saturday 3 - 5PM, but this coming Saturday, Sept 5 (in case you want to do a class) it will be from 10AM - 12 noon. I suspect the schedule may shift a bit from time-to-time so if you plan to check it out I would email first to verify.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Pete Rihaczek
United_States

[quote]
Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Pete,
Thanks for the info. Hollywood is somewhat closer for me than the Taoist Sanctuary in San Diego, however, it is still quite a jaunt from Barstow California.
Hi Ricky,

Yes, I would say so. That's still a solid drive, depending on traffic conditions.

Quote:
Would your teacher, Bosco Baek, be willing to accept a student that could only attend class say, once a month or so?
Ricky
I can't speak for him, although I don't see why not. I'm sure I won't be able to make every class either, and the same is true of others. Life gets in the way. The advantage of going more often is getting more corrections on what you're doing, but you still have to practice on your own, and getting hands-on once a month is a lot better than never. You can always email him at bosco@chenbing.org.