Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
"Aikido Terminology"

Posted 2004-12-05 20:59:10 by Michael W Taylor

There is now a new Aikido Terminology book that is written in both English and Japanese with a complete breakdown and explanation of each Japanese kanji character at http://www.lulu.com/aikidobook.

The body of text is conveniently broken down into the following logical categories: stances, grasps, strikes, falls & rolls, fundamental techniques, various Aikido actions, body parts, weapons, Aiki-wear, ranks, special training and miscellaneous items.

Most importantly; all terms are quickly and conveniently referenced by two complete indexes located at the end of the book. The result is the most useful Aikido terminology book on the market. It is an indispensable tool for all practitioners of Aikido. Enjoy.

Warm Regards,
Michael W Taylor.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: "Aikido Terminology"

Has anyone looked over the Preview of this book? What I would term as " Katata dori " he has worded as " Katata mo(chi) " which is considerablly different.

Anyone know which is used at Hombu?

or why there is such a difference?

Also, anyone planing on making a change in their terminology based on this reference?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
akiy

I think that terminology really differs between organization to organization, style to style, and even dojo to dojo. For example, even within the Aikikai organization, I've heard "morotedori" and "katatedori ryotemochi" refer to the same basic attack.

I've heard both "katatedori" and "katatemochi" used. "Dori" comes from "toru" which basically means "to take," whereas "mochi" comes from "motsu" which basically means "to hold, grasp."

At Aikikai Hombu dojo, it looks like they use "katatedori," though:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Jap/hombu/shinsayoko.htm (in Japanese)

Hope that helps.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

When I saw it I was hoping it would be what it's title promised. A place to find explanations of words used Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Shodokan, Ki Society lineages at least. But it really should be called "Aikikai Terminology" and from what Jun says it sounds like not even all of that.

Would have been a more interesting project if he had done some more research.
still the sample was interesting to peruse.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
akiy

Hi Craig,
Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
When I saw it I was hoping it would be what it's title promised. A place to find explanations of words used Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Shodokan, Ki Society lineages at least.
I'm thinking of something along the lines... and more!

Stay tuned...

-- Jun

Old 12-07-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
I'm thinking of something along the lines... and more!Stay tuned...
Hmm - can you provide a hint on what you are or will be doing?? I have a glossary spreadsheet I've been putting together where I try to include the various style/usages for a term - nage, shite, and tori for example. It also includes variants with and without spaces in the middle of "shihonage" "shiho nage" for example. What I have not done, though thought, about is to have separate columns for aikikai, ki Society, etc. I've avoided that one as so far there's little consistency.

Something that's less far along is a cross reference/index from terms to books / web sites that seem to explain that term well.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Marc Kupper wrote:
Hmm - can you provide a hint on what you are or will be doing??
You'll see in, hopefully, about a week...

I'll be able to use all the help I can to get the project up and running, too, Marc and everyone else, so keep your data and information handy!

-- Jun

Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 AM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Jun are you looking for terminology from the big organizations or are you accepting terms from smaller orgs like Seidokan too? I'll be happy to help if I can.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
akiy

Hi Bronson,

Yes, the project will hopefully, with everyone's help, cross many if not all organizationa boundaries. So your help will be very much appreciated when the time comes!

-- Jun

Old 12-08-2004, 09:12 AM   #10
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Don't know what help I can be for you, Jun. But may I suggest you find a way to make a buck at it?

I LOVE Aiki-web and have no idea how much time you spend working on this site, if it pays for itself, what you do for a living... any of that. HOWEVER, a resource like you are talking about, if you are thinking of what I THINK you are thinking of, would be worth some money either in book form or subscriber fees if you put it on the net.

Now, if your independently wealthy and just wanna share outta the kindness of your heart, hey! Won't hear me complain!!

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
But may I suggest you find a way to make a buck at it?
HERE HERE!! I second that.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #12
Aristeia
New Zealand

A definitive cross style glossary is sorely needed. So ttt for that. And for Jun getting some reward for effort. A "supporting member" category perhaps?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #13
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
Don't know what help I can be for you, Jun. But may I suggest you find a way to make a buck at it?
I know of several ways to contribute to Jun's Independent Wealth Plan.
1) AikiWeb Membership -- http://www.aikiweb.com/membership/ -- You too can get a Gold Star and they are on sale now through December 16th as the price has been lowered to $7.95 for a year.
2) AikiWeb Donations - Don't give money to those kids peddling magazines door-to-door -- instead feed the nickels into http://www.aikiweb.com/store/donation.html
3) AikiWeb Toys -- Dress or decorate in style with a smile - http://www.aikiweb.com/store