Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #26
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Re: Dogi - Dresscode

Well, considering all the times my pants slipped, I could never go without.

Jeanne
Old 10-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #27
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
Niamh Marie O'Leary-Liu wrote:
No wonder they were ANGRY White Pajamas...
Or draughty white pyjamas...

Quote:
John Mustard wrote:
hi angry white pyjamas,was written about Sensei Mustard Robert,it was written by a student who trained in Japan,under the guidance of Sensei
I don't think it written _about_ him per se, though he did feature quite extensively in parts.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:29 AM   #28
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
hehe, no, its a yoshinkan thing (one part *I* don't practice
Tsk, tsk...and here I thought you a follower of "The Way".

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-25-2004, 02:38 AM   #29
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
John Mustard wrote:
Hi,you are right no underwear,and I have trained with Sensei R mustard.Whom the book angry white pyjamas was writen about,Senseis school is in Burnaby B,C.
John,

You are lucky to have Robert Mustard Sensei as an instructor. He was one of my primary instructors for 4 years and is the absolute best teacher of anything I have ever had the pleasure of studying under.

Please say Hi to him for me.

BTW...the book wasn't really about him, it just seemed that way because he and Robert Twigger had an interesting relationship which came out in the book. The book was actually a portrayal of Robert Twigger's year in Japan while he was doing the Senshusei course. It is based on a true story, but edited for general reading so please take what you get out of the book with a grain of salt.

Trust me...I was there <g>.

--Stumpy

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-25-2004, 05:23 AM   #30
Henning Ulseth

Dojo: Stavanger Aikido School
Norway

Well...I think I have all the answers I need, (and a bunch I didn't need...hehe) Thank you all!

And I have tried "commando" and...well...it felt weird.Too weird actually I'll stick to wearing my gi WITH underwear

...the Key is to Do the Eye
Old 06-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #31
Timothy Tikker
Dojo: Huron Valley Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:

We had one woman who also went underwearless. During a hajime session her dogi pants string somehow got undone. She was senshusei so its not as if she could stop training. The instructor didn't notice until the dogi pants slipped halfway down her thigh. He stopped the hajime long enough for her to tie herself back up..
Could this have something to do with why O-Sensei really wanted ALL students to wear the hakama, not just black belts?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #32
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

on the underwear under gi pants, I have to, I have felt some serious pain taking a hard break fall w/o underware under gi pants, basically the goody bag acted more like a speed back, yeah never again after that

Dan Hulley
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #33
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada

My sensei only trains "commando" style - of course being sandan he obviously wears a hakama.

He actually dresses in the sequence detailed by Fred Little.

I've gone "commando" a few times when I've opened my gym bag to realize I'd forgotten to pack underwear (and I'm wearing mesh lined shorts to travel to the dojo). I just worry about really hot and humid days when sensei runs a really hard practice - if the dogi pants get too wet things can get a little...transparent...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #34
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Maybe the importance of what sequence one gets dressed is based more on the imminent danger of earthquakes. I ran outside wearing not a whole lot my first night in Fukushima-ken after being awoken by a mild tremor; the local farming folk and dogs up at that hour were looking at me kinda funny....

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #35
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Just thought I'd thow out some historical perspective on 'traditional' attire...

What we in Aikido think of as 'traditional' is quite modern actually. Before Kano Sensei modified and bleached a 'fireman's jacket' for use in judo, budoka typically trained in what they wore regularly. That would be (optionally) a mawashi (simpler every-day version of the 'sumo-thong') under a kimono top (which may have included a 'han-juban' the equivalent of an undershirt). Then a kaku-obi, a traditional obi with the knot tied in back. Over that could be a hakama. Kano Sensei wanted a more durable training uniform and so modified the heavy cotton overcoat worn by firemen and in festivals, added thin cotton pants and the padded smaller obi. Aikido basically adopted the judogi but added the hakama over top to dress it up. Most older arts think we're crazy for wearing pants under our hakama. You could compare it to always wearing jeans under your kilt, it's kind of one or the other.

A lot of people who I know who do more traditional arts wear kendogi (longer and with a slit in the back not the sides) and some running shorts with kaku-obi and kimono on top.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #36
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Actually, Michael has a point above, the summer heat in Japan is pretty damn humid at the best of times, a lot of people in the dojo`s I trained at went commando due to the excessive sweating during keiko
With regards to underwear in hot humid climates it is usually advisable for hygiene purposes to wear no underwear if you are male.
I spent some time doing ecological research in a tropical rainforest and believe me you don't want to wear underwear because eventually you'll get an infection. This is due to bacteria living off of the sweat produced in the groin area. Females don't really have to worry about this for a variety of biological reasons I won't go in to here. This assumes of course that you'd be wearing said clothing on a day in day out basis and be physically quite active, otherwise its not a big problem.

So in the senshusei course thats been mentioned it'd probably not be a great idea. But for regular training it wouldn't be a difficulty.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 06-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #37
kuniggety
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan

I don't think people have to worry about hygiene purposes in their training of whether they'd wear underwear or not. While yes you tend to hold sweat down there in a humid climate, if you're conscious about hygiene, you'd probably be taking a shower and putting on clean underwear anyways after your training.

As for Japan being humid, psshh... try Okinawa.

<-- retarded - last name is actually Walker
Aikido no n00b desu.