Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Did not return my call

This past weekend I went out of town to visit relatives. To keep my sanity I try to find a place to train while I am there. They do not have an Aikido Dojo anywhere near where they live. Strange? Everyone should have a place to train Aikido. Anyway, I called this one place that 'does it all'. Innovative Martial Arts Concepts, or something like that. The voice message said they teach practical martial arts, a combination of BJJ, Kung Fu, Aikido, Judo, and Tae Kwon Do. What the heck, so I left a message saying I was in town for the holiday weekend and would be interested in training with them, or at least watch the class (to see if I can pick up some stuff). Nobody ever called me. I suppose it's possible the dojo was closed for the holidays, or actually I think they were not interested in some tourist coming in for a one shot deal. Maybe they were interested in training with only the hard core Cobra Kai Do or Die locals. Anyway, didn't seem like a very friendly (AIKI) kind of place. When I go visit my relatives again, I will not be giving them a call.

Yours thoughts, comments?

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: Did not return my call

Might be reading too much into it; they might just not have checked their messages. That said in my experience 'do it all' schools are rarely a good idea; though no harm spending a class there, really.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Granted, I do not have a "commercial" dojo, but we average about 10 or 12 of this sort of call every month. If people would call in advance to give time for an answer and to communicate and develop a bit of rapport, a real meeting could probably happen.

Calls or E-Mails that arrive a couple of days before the intended visit from folks we don't know do not get answered. We normally answer calls enquiring about practice at the Jiyushinkan once a week or so. I have been lectured more than once that we must "lose a lot of business that way..."... eh, Yup. I suppose we do.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Being in sales I don't EVER expect anyone to return my calls. If it was that important to you, you could have a) called again, b) stopped by and found out their class times. The advantage to stopping by is it's a good excuse to be away from the relatives. Being Memorial Day weekend there is a good chance the joint was closed. Take care.

mark j.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
Zoli Elo
Hungary

I would have just stopped by.

A great deal of happenstance may have occurred regarding your call - no way of truly knowing... However, by stopping by you are going to get an interaction; positive or negative but at least something.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

Yes I realize that "I" could have called again and again, and that "I" could have stopped by. It just seems like a lot of work!

Normally when I travel I find the dojo I am interested in and call or write ahead to let the instructor know I am interested in training with them. I have had a lot of success with this. Sometimes I will show up at a dojo unannounced, not expecting to train, and just ask to watch and if possible train the next day or whenever the next class is. Not all dojos are listed on the Internet and can not locate them until you get to your travel destination. I've not had a problem with this either.

Granted, I had little motivation to train with the "We do it all" dojo, or else I would have made a more considerable effort to contact them.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven