Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Smon
Dojo: aikidojohaarlem.nl
Netherlands
Return to Iwama

Hello all,

I heard an interesting story today at a seminar of Prof.Peter Goldsbury about the possibility of a move of Honbu headquarters back to Iwama. There was talk of concerns about future earthquake threats to Tokyo, the availability of aikikai owned land in the old home grounds and the 'return to the roots' idea that might be a popular strategy. Another student present told me he had heard confirming stories from another Japanese shihan later last year. Sound exciting, anyone else heard anything in this line ?

Smon
Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: Return to Iwama

I haven't heard anything, but if Prof. Goldsbury is your source, he's certainly a reliable one. But remember that people think about things all the time. It doesn't mean that it will, in fact, happen.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Edward
Thailand

All what I know is that the aikikai has been trying to get back Iwama from Saito sensei for ages as it officially belongs to the Ueshiba family. After Saito sensei's passing away, I believe they are making more serious (and legal) attempts. Wether they will succeed or not remains to be seen.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
All what I know is that the aikikai has been trying to get back Iwama from Saito sensei for ages as it officially belongs to the Ueshiba family. After Saito sensei's passing away, I believe they are making more serious (and legal) attempts. Wether they will succeed or not remains to be seen.
How do you mean "get back Iwama"? The dojo and Aiki Shrine have always been owned by the Ueshiba family. When Saito died they simply took over the care and maintenance of both.

Hitohiro Saito seems to be doing well in Iwama, and perhaps the Aikikai may feel somewhat threatened about competition in one of aikido's historical heritage sites, but the Saitos were in Iwama long before Ueshiba Morihei. So the Aikikai "trying to get back Iwama from Saito sensei" makes about as much sense as the Aikikai trying to get back Osaka from Tanaka Bansen.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
Edward
Thailand

Hehehe, of course I meant Iwama dojo, what did you think? Getting back Iwama prefecture or something?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
Hehehe, of course I meant Iwama dojo, what did you think? Getting back Iwama prefecture or something?
Well, that's why I asked.

The Aikikai have the Iwama dojo already. They've had it since shortly after Saito Morihiro died (and really they never "lost" it). Saito Hitohiro operates out of a different dojo in the area.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
Edward
Thailand

Thanks Josh for correcting my info, which is obviously outdated and quite inaccurate
Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

There's still that big major earthquake in Japan that's a decade overdue. Could happen any minute now...I'd try to get as much practice in as I could before then!!! So forget moving headquarters...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
crbateman

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
There's still that big major earthquake in Japan that's a decade overdue. Could happen any minute now...I'd try to get as much practice in as I could before then!!! So forget moving headquarters...
Perhaps headquarters will move itself...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Edward
Thailand

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea after all, especially if they add some kind of hotel-serviced apartments for the oversea visitors. I underdstand it is quite difficult to find a decent place to stay around the current Hombu without spending a fortune.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
[earthquake threat] ... Perhaps headquarters will move itself...
Now, THAT would some some truly impressive ukemi ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.