Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #26
bulevardi
Dojo: Tobu Chiku Aikikai
Belgium
Re: What is Ki?

From what I understand:

Ki is actually "being aware in your mind" of the energy that's flowing through your body, the life-force.

When using that awareness, you can better control those physical movements in your body, or control the movements of your opponent caused by the energy flowing in his body.

To get slightly off-topic: here in Belgium they sell Aiki Noodles in our supermarkets. It's a brand of noodles containing the word aiki. So those noodles also contain life-force. You eat, you burn calories, you get energy, you can control your movements better...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_93DRlLhQQfc/R2...0/DSC00648.JPG
Thinking absurd enough, you can see ki in everything around you.

Now, coming back to this quote from my previous post:
Quote:
For example, if your partner reaches for your wrist and you wait until he grabs you before you start to turn and throw, you will end up with someone's body hanging on to your arm as you try to throw. If, instead, you start the turn and throw before he actually grabs you, you will be able to lead his energy. In order to grab you, if you are already moving, your partner will have to track your movements and follow you. If he is intent on grabbing you, you will be able to lead his ki by just staying slightly ahead of his grab. Then you simply lead the movement into any convenient aikido form.
Is it as well possible to use Ki from starting in a static position. Most aikido techniques learned step by step, from the beginning in a static position while (for example) the uke holds your wrists, and then you have to start turning out of that 'lock' without trying to use your own strength. In this case, you can't start your technique using his movements or Ki.
Of course in a normal action, when already knowing the technique, you can do it more fluidly and quickly, already start turning before the uke had the chance to take your wrists and move the ki to the next direction,...

So actually, that Ki is no real "power" that is scientifically proven. Ki is in this case some movement or flow, coming from a physical movement, and not a physical movement coming from an inner power (Ki).

Can Ki be developped more by meditation? Or by breathing techniques (kokyu)?

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
BTW, a more courageous (hence provocative) way to phrase your question would have been: Does God exist?
We always could start a discussion around "creationism" versus "evolution".
And about science that proves Ki or can't prove Ki.
But maybe that's better to discuss in another thread, maybe in the "spirituality" forums?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #27
dps

Can we do aiki because the concept of ki exists or do we have the concept of ki because we can do aiki?

David

Last edited by dps : 02-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #28
bulevardi
Belgium

Quote:
Greg Tabata wrote: View Post
But overall, I feel that it's a topic that people talk about before they understand what Ki is.
Of course. By interest lots of people want to know what it is. So they will read about it, and talk about it.
And because it's something not easily explainable, the will talk even more about it.
They have been talking about God since there was a Jesus, and God won't ever be explained (scientifically). If you want people only to talk about God when they understand what it is, only Jesus would be able to talk about it.

So what I want to say is that beginners can also talk about it (Ki), there's nothing wrong with it if they're interested and dedicated to learn about it.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #29
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Dirk Desmet wrote: View Post
Quote:
BTW, a more courageous (hence provocative) way to phrase your question would have been: Does God exist?
We always could start a discussion around "creationism" versus "evolution".
You're quoting me a bit too selectively here. There was another sentence after the last one you quoted.

Quote:
And about science that proves Ki or can't prove Ki.
But maybe that's better to discuss in another thread, maybe in the "spirituality" forums?
The question if science can help us to explore 'ki' seems (at least to me) highly relevant for a discussion about what ki is.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Can we do aiki because the concept of ki exists or do we have the concept of ki because we can do aiki?
Ki exists independently of aiki, but that's just my understanding of the matter (no pun intended).
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #30
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Science may not be able to prove the existence of ki or Mars, but that does not mean the the Japanese and the Romans respectively did not use these words to name some experiential reality. And that leads us to the question Ignatius asked: how can you practice Aikido, if you don't acknowledge the experiential reality of ki? Doesn't matter if ki has no scientific reality or if you prefer to use a different word of set of words to describe it, 'no ki, no aikido' still applies.

BTW, a more courageous (hence provocative) way to phrase your question would have been: Does God exist? But we still have Christianity...
You're missing my point. I meant that, first of all, "ki" is part of the compound term "aiki", not a stand-alone term. Secondly, whether or not a root of a compound term exists or not is not necessarily relevant to the validity of that term. For example, engineers using electricity ("denki") could care less about "ki".

Best,

Chris

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #31
dps

Ki has no complete meaning?

It is a part (with an incomplete meaning) of a word. When combined with another part(s) a word is made with a complete meaning. The incomplete meaning of ki changes depending on the other part(s).

from my earlier post;

In essence, the character ki means:

* spirit, mind, soul, heart
* intention
* bent, interest
* mood, feeling
* temper, disposition, nature
* care, attention
* air, atmosphere
* flavor
* odor
* energy, essence, air, indications
* symptoms
* taste
* touch, dash, shade, trace
* spark, flash
* suspicion

Japanese Phrase Kanji Literal Translation Definition
Gen ki "source/foundation of ki." one's health
Byou ki "ill ki." to be sick
Ten ki "heavenly ki." the weather
Ki ga tatsu "the ki stands upright." to get angry
Ki wo tsukeru "to put on (or to have) ki" to be careful; to be attentive
Ki ga kiku "the ki is used a lot" to be empathetic
Ki ga susumanai "the ki does not go forward." to not want to do something
Ki ga sumu "the ki is finished or used up." to feel fulfilled
Ki ga tsuku "to have "ki" put onto you." to notice
Ki ga tsuyoi "the ki is strong." to be headstrong
Ki ga yowai "the ki is weak." to be like a coward
Ki ga tooku naru "the ki goes far away." to become lightheaded
Ki ga nai "to have no ki" to have no interest in something
Ki ga nukeru "the ki becomes missing." to lose hope
Ki ga mijikai "the ki is short." to be short tempered
Ki ni sawaru "something touches the ki." to find something irritating
Ki ni naru "to become ki" to have something nagging or on one's mind
Ki wo kubaru "to pass out ki (to people)" to attend to other people's wishes

In Aikido we have "Aiki".

Is there a similar list of meanings for 'Ai"
David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #32
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
You're missing my point. I meant that, first of all, "ki" is part of the compound term "aiki", not a stand-alone term.
What source are you basing this on? I always thought that when O-Sensei said something about ki, that was the ki needed to perform aiki.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #33
bulevardi
Belgium

Quote:
It is a part (with an incomplete meaning) of a word. When combined with another part(s) a word is made with a complete meaning. The incomplete meaning of ki changes depending on the other part(s).
Ki is always a part. Everything in universe is a part of something bigger, related to each other.

I think Ki is in a partitive case, as in language you have different cases: nominative, accusative, genitive, but also partitive.
It exists in Finnish Language.
That means that you don't use the whole Ki from your body/partner/universe,... but a part of it at once.
Like: if you watch television, you watch television the partitive way: you only watch the screen, not the whole television.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitive_case

Puhun vahan suomea ;-)

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #34
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
What source are you basing this on? I always thought that when O-Sensei said something about ki, that was the ki needed to perform aiki.
He said quite a few things, but "aiki" is quite clearly a compound term that predates Morihei Ueshiba.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #35
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

As a great sage once said, " Aluminum foil wrapped heads are the ki to understanding the universe..."...and it keeps the crap from leaking out!.

Next question, "What is poop? "...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #36
JW

I had such high hopes for this thread. But I guess the answer to "what is ki" varies as much as do the various experiences that people have had.
Looks like there's just too much variation in what has been experienced (and what has not yet been experienced) for this to go anywhere.

There's enough posted on aikiweb and elsewhere for each reader to find that "ki" in body arts doesn't have to be a nebulous, opinion- or faith-based term. It's a specific thing, rather than being everything that has a Japanese name that uses the character "ki."

Well, I guess that's just one opinion.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #37
bulevardi
Belgium

What about psychokinesis: generating the movement of an object by energy caused by the mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychokinesis

Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #38
dps

Quote:
Well, to give you an idea of "ki"'s importance and its implications, let's look at the following definition of "ki" by the late Walter Todd sensei conducted by Meik Skoss (http://koryu.com/library/mskoss10.html).
David
The link should be,
http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss10.html

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #39
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
He said quite a few things, but "aiki" is quite clearly a compound term that predates Morihei Ueshiba.
Sure, but that does not establish that Morihei Ueshiba didn't consider the meaning of 'ki' (highly) relevant to understand 'aiki'.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #40
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
I had such high hopes for this thread. But I guess the answer to "what is ki" varies as much as do the various experiences that people have had.
Looks like there's just too much variation in what has been experienced (and what has not yet been experienced) for this to go anywhere.
It is not nebulous or merely opinion -- but the categories typically used are ill-fittting. The traditional usages don't map into the same "boxes" of concepts that Westerners tend to use most frequently. Ki is not force, or energy, or movement -- but it has to do with force and energy and movement. It is empirical and demonstrable. Definable? -- yes, I think so, but you be the judge

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #41
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
how can you practice Aikido, if you don't acknowledge the experiential reality of ki? Doesn't matter if ki has no scientific reality or if you prefer to use a different word of set of words to describe it, 'no ki, no aikido' still applies.
While I understand Chris's point, I think it misses the point that the root word, in and of itself, provides contextual richness to the compound. Without the meaning assigned by the root modifier, the compound loses it's whole meaning.

As an example, 合力 hé lì is a compound meaning "cooperate". What does it mean to "cooperate" if there was no such thing/concept as "union" or "strength"?

Mars need not have been a concrete entity. What Mars represented/embodied (abstract entity) is what gives us the word martial. In the same vein, what ki represents/embodies is what gives aiki meaning. If there is no such thing (concrete or abstract) as ki, what is the meaning of aiki? Or for that matter, what is aiki, if there is no such thing as ai?

Last edited by eyrie : 02-05-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Ignatius
Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #42
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Quote:
Dirk Desmet wrote: View Post
What about psychokinesis: generating the movement of an object by energy caused by the mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychokinesis
As the wikipedia article mentions, psychokinesis has never been demonstrated. It's likely all a fantasy. The association of the concept of ki with this kind of mystical nonesense is one reason I would avoid using the term when explaining anything using the English language.

As others have pointed out, the concept of ki taken outside of a specific context is far too broad to associate with one specific anything.

As for the specific concepts of ki and aiki within aikido, I'm not convinced that there is one "orthodox" take on it. There seems to be an association with internal body training (Tohei's ki exercises, aiki according to Daito-ryu ), but even there I don't think the specific definition of aiki in Daito-ryu (which seems to correspond with very specific body skills according to Internal training guys with Daito-ryu connections that post here) necessarily invalidates other takes on the term within the context of aikido. As a side note, the fact that the IT crowd here can actually discuss the ki and aiki strength without calling on mystical energies is a large part of why I don't ignore them (which I am more than happy to do with the no touch throw, shooting ki across the room types).

As for the difficulties of translating ki and ki related concepts. I think everybody who claims any knowledge should try harder. Even if you need 20 words in English for two in Japanese in order to get the context through. With a term with such a broad array of meanings, context besomes especially important. Ki, like "spirit" in English, is not one specific thing, and the various things it can represent are not necessarily that clodely related to each other (which is why tranlations in one context may use very different terms than those in another context). I liked Ignatius' definition earlier in the thread from this point of view.

As to whethwer or not "ki" exists. Ki is a word in Japanese that covers many concepts with real meaning to people and as others have shown, is a basic root in a rather large array of Japanese words. As you may have gessed from the rest of my post, there are many usages of "ki" out there that I consider as referring to forms of energy or forces that are a bunch of mystical new-age type nonesence.

Jonathan Olson
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #43
thisisnotreal

What is Ki?
That's like asking smurfs what they mean when they say something is smurfy.
more specifically; smurfy is akin to aiki. First you have to predefine that there is a `smurf` (i.e. `ki`), and then something can be `smurfy`(i.e. `aiki`).
for humans ki is smurfy because we are smurfs. plain and simple.

I think that maybe you could say something useful about `Ki` in that i think it's safe to say that if you know how to build power doing, for instance, San Ti standing stance that you are using your `Ki`.
In my humble maddened scrambles to try to unravel this mystery: i have to say I think It has to do with windings (i.e. the musculotendon stuffs), the effort and skill you can employ in using them (i.e. the `ki` stuff), technique, balance, coordination, packing the breath (i.e. pneuma(/tic) breath pressure pushing into mechanical suit via dantien pressure/rotation via jingluo via blood vessels / OPENING / Moving that breath pressure mechanically via posture shifting and breathing, stretching), pumping the hara, and that sort of thing. Finding connections in the body. Helping to use ki/intent to irradiate the central nervous system, correcting faulty recruitment patterns, opening and creating blood vessels and i'm sure so many other things. the body is truly wonderfully and fearfully made. Anyhoo; that is my best kick at the kan at explaining what i thought all the ki whoohaa was aboot.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

What is Ki?
Learning aikido initially through the Ki Society, I was confronted with 'Ki' and its various manifestations through the Ki development exercises and the amazing feats of Ki such as unbendable arm, unraisable body etc.. together with the medatative disciplines. As a researcher I decided to put aside my misgivings until I found out a bit more about Ki. Eventually some understanding came though learning more about the differences in traditional scientific method in the East (observational) and the West (deductive).
The question what is Ki? brings both together quite sussincitly but to a place that neither can stand on a footing. The East doesn't tend to use 'what' or 'why' and the West doesn't have a definition of 'Ki' to start with.
Ki then seems to be a descriptor of stuff that can't be explained further or easily. In recent years i have enjoyed chipping away at some definitions of simple things which has been appreciated by some and not by others..such is life. I have written some of them up, some of it may be if intrest http://www.aikidorepublic.com/aikiphysics

best,
dan

Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #45
thisisnotreal

Excellent! I look forward to reading that. Thanks for posting it. Looks intriguing so far. Josh
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #46
bulevardi
Belgium

Anyway, I just ordered a book about Ki, just to have a better idea for exercises on that topic.

As I'm too stressed by work, I can always use those breathe methods and mediation techniques.
I guess it will be a good way to help getting my mind cleaned or to calm down.

Even if I don't experience the ultimate level of Ki-ness, it could always be worth trying new things and see what happens. Maybe it can help me in Aikido aswel some way, my posture, breathing, ...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #47
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
You weren't seriously hoping for some kind of definitive consensus, were you? Just as well to expect a definitive answer out of a "discussion" of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. A "discussion" on the meaning of "ki", IMO, primarily serves as entertainment for those who enjoy disputation that goes nowhere.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #48
bulevardi
Belgium

But you have to admit it's a suspicious topic
It's a topic that can be taken serious, but it's more likely that most people won't.
We have to take it in perspective, no one has to get offended if we have a laugh with it sometimes, it's not with bad feelings.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #49
Nikopol

If one isn't experiencing ki, no definitions can help, because it is an awareness, an experience.

It simply isn't a thing but a perception, a sensation.

気 is quite a common word in Japan.

It is defined as Care, Spirit, or Mood. Spirit as in "He's in high spirits":

Ki o tsukeru; to "watch out" to stay aware.
Ki ni naru; to be bothered by something.
Kibun: mood, the way you feel at any moment.

When you have done Aikido long enough that you start feeling, "aha" ... start feeling the power in movement, start feeling rather than thinking about it... at this point ki exists.

"Who feels it knows it," and if you don't feel it it simply does not exist.

You first start to feel this sensation in the palms of your hands when you hold them in the "ten" position,when doing tenkan. There are well-known photos of Osensei, at the moment after Kokyuhou, his arms extended,

http://aikidoheyrieux.free.fr/osensei92.jpg

I believe this is the technique where one first begins to feel a curious sensation, like something very light, but substantial resting on their palms. Hold that position and weigh that feeling in your palms, as you breath. You start to feel it here.

When you feel it it becomes very real to you. And like a person who "feels it" is more powerful than a person who doesn't yet feel the flow of what he is doing, ki is the "key" to Aiki power.

Words are only words, and any definition of ki is only going to be words. Know that if you continue Aikido, you will start to perceive the power of breath, of turning, of sensitivity.

When you feel it you will know it and know that the quickest way to understand it is to continue Aikido until you feel it.

Last edited by Nikopol : 02-12-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #50
bulevardi
Belgium

Quote:
Vincent Nikopol wrote: View Post
If one isn't experiencing ki, no definitions can help, because it is an awareness, an experience.

It simply isn't a thing but a perception, a sensation.

気 is quite a common word in Japan.

It is defined as Care, Spirit, or Mood. Spirit as in "He's in high spirits":

Ki o tsukeru; to "watch out" to stay aware.
Ki ni naru; to be bothered by something.
Kibun: mood, the way you feel at any moment.

When you have done Aikido long enough that you start feeling, "aha" ... start feeling the power in movement, start feeling rather than thinking about it... at this point ki exists.

"Who feels it knows it," and if you don't feel it it simply does not exist.

You first start to feel this sensation in the palms of your hands when you hold them in the "ten" position,when doing tenkan. There are well-known photos of Osensei, at the moment after Kokyuhou, his arms extended,

http://aikidoheyrieux.free.fr/osensei92.jpg

I believe this is the technique where one first begins to feel a curious sensation, like something very light, but substantial resting on their palms. Hold that position and weigh that feeling in your palms, as you breath. You start to feel it here.

When you feel it it becomes very real to you. And like a person who "feels it" is more powerful than a person who doesn't yet feel the flow of what he is doing, ki is the "key" to Aiki power.

Words are only words, and any definition of ki is only going to be words. Know that if you continue Aikido, you will start to perceive the power of breath, of turning, of sensitivity.

When you feel it you will know it and know that the quickest way to understand it is to continue Aikido until you feel it.
So is it something like Runners High?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin#Runner.27s_high

After long running or training, you come in a special mood where you get aware of a power that your mind isn't working anymore. You keep on running on the power without thinking.