Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
CorkyQ
Dojo: Kakushi Toride Aikido
United_States
Aiki-Lab seminar

Join Corky Quakenbush and friends at Shamokin, PA Aikido Kai for a two day seminar in Aiki-Lab training, a non-technique training model designed to achieve takemusu aiki (spontaneously manifesting aikido) from beneficent intention.

Take the idea of "internal power" to new levels of understanding and application with a comprehensive methodology, developed over a ten year period, that can be used as an adjunct or replacement for technique emulation training.

Aiki-Lab training is a means to attain truly non-violent, effective conflict resolution skills.

Have you ever wondered how aikido can truly exemplify the "loving protection of all things" while employing joint locks, pain compliance, and throws that would injure anyone who has not practiced aikido ukemi? Explore how automatic limbic system responses to perception of threat obstruct the manifestation of aikido. Join the many aikidoka who have discovered deeper understanding of Osensei's teachings not revealed in technique emulation training but naturally embodied in Aiki-Lab training.

The Aiki-Lab method of practicing aikido shows how aiki manifests out of any attack without reliance on pre-conceived form.

Come to this seminar at Shamokin Aikido Kai in The Center for Movement Arts, 200 North Cherry Street,
Shamokin, PA 17872 for a journey to a martially effective yet truly non-violent expression of what Osensei called the loving protection of all things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OuHA_wEhmU
http://www.westlosangelesaikido.com/...nseminarr.html
Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Aiki-Lab seminar

Hi All,

if anyone out there on the East Coast is considering this seminar, then a read of my blog entry, may help you to decide.

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/mark-fr...e-la-lab-4602/

If you want to experience aikido on a level that most don't, then get yourself along to this opportunity, to practice with someone who is developing where aikido can go, rather than trying to maintain the 'fly in amber' approach of the crowd.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
dps

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi All,

If you want to experience aikido on a level that most don't,
How do you know that most don't?

Quote:
then get yourself along to this opportunity, to practice with someone who is developing where aikido can go
How do you know where he is taking Aikido to if he is not there yet?

Quote:
rather than trying to maintain the 'fly in amber' approach of the crowd.
This just makes me sigh.
You are making alot of assumptions about other people know and do.
dps
Old 03-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
CorkyQ
United_States

Quote:
Hi All,

if anyone out there on the East Coast is considering this seminar, then a read of my blog entry, may help you to decide.

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/mark-fr...e-la-lab-4602/

If you want to experience aikido on a level that most don't, then get yourself along to this opportunity, to practice with someone who is developing where aikido can go, rather than trying to maintain the 'fly in amber' approach of the crowd.

regards,

Mark
Thanks for the endorsement, Mark.

Mark has referred to the approach I am presenting as he has (if he doesn't mind me speaking for him), because as someone who has visited many dojos in many countries he has recognized my approach as radically different, unique, practical, and worthy of investigation. I too have visited many dojos and have not found an approach that is similar to the one I have developed.

I am very interested in exploring different approaches to resolving conflict without violence so I consider my approach a work in progress that is most aptly served with a flexible attitude rather than what Mark has described to me and in his endorsement as "a fly in amber." His use of those words refers to something which is forever fixed, without room for progress. Mark seems to agree with me and has offered his endorsement, not to those who prefer to focus their attention on the fixed forms of their predecessors, but to those like us who continually seek to expand our horizons by investigating other things. Only those considering attending need to ask themselves if this approach is interesting enough to participate. His invitation to read his blog is for those considering. I am sure many who might read it would decide it is not for them.

There are many aikdoka (perhaps most) who are satisfied with their practice and progress. Others such as myself and Mark (and according to interviews and his own teachings, Osensei's uchideshi Kanshu Sunadomari) feel that the conventional approach to aikido, that is emulation of techniques in order to gain proficiency in technique execution, can lead one (in the words of K. Sunadomari Sensei) to "hit a wall" in one's training.

Aiki-Lab training was first developed to provide a framework to understand the effectiveness of aikido outside of the conventional approach. What I have discovered and have received confirmation of from numerous students of aikido ranging from beginners to seasoned aikidoka with more than two decades of training, is that this approach does give insights as to "where aikido can go." This is, of course, very personal and where one might want to read the blog linked to by Mark to know if they share his opinion.

While I would never claim to be "there yet," I will be happy to have the relationship with the art of aikido Sunadomari Sensei told me he had had through his 80's and presumably to his death, that is, still discovering ever deeper levels of aikido.

So again, I invite those interested in expanding their viewpoint of aikido to join me in the exploration that is inherent in this approach. Many have come to my seminars with skepticism and left with a changed point of view, and I am not afraid of scrutiny. I like to maintain relentless scrutiny of my own practice (as Mary Heiny has recommended) so I invite the same level of scrutiny from others. However, I will not be spending any time proving that Coke is better than Pepsi. I will show how the approach I have developed can benefit the practitioner, and those who come with a mind open for learning can leave feeling their time was well spent or wasted. Donations are fully refundable.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
CorkyQ
United_States

Please join me at any of my workshops and seminars in Europe in May, June and July.

May 16, 17, 2015 please join me in Barcelona, Spain for an all day workshop in Aiki-Lab and private instruction on May 17 at SALA Polivalent D ARTS
C/ Monlau 17, 08027 Barcelona, Spain hosted by Raul Merino Cantero.

May 21- 23 please join me for a three day Aiki-Lab non-fall seminar in Helsinki Finland hosted by Siddha Baba Mukta Natha at Awase Dojo, Kaapelitehdas C-porras 4. krs, Tallberginkatu 1, 00180 Helsinki.
Aika: To 21.- La 23.5.2015, To & Pe klo 9-12 ja klo 13-16. La klo 9-12.

May 24 please come to a one-day seminar in Eskiltuna Sweden hosted by Thomas Rydell, Eskilstuna Sport Hall 17 Harbour Street, Box 10, 632 20 Eskilstuna

May 25 - 29 I hope to see you at Titignano Castle, Orvieto, Italy at the Science And Non-Duality conference exploring the nature of consciousness along with 30 other scientists, theologians, artists and therapists. This amazing gathering of visionaries, healers and scholars is going to be a non-stop immersion into the convergence of ancient and modern wisdom.

May 30 - 31, please join me for a two day workshop in Aiki-Lab training in Elsinor Denmark, hosted by Olav Erlandsson at Helsingør-HallenSports Center, Gl. Hellebækvej 63-65 3000 Helsingør, Denmark.

June 7 please come for one day to Solothurn Switzerland, Aikido School Tenchi Kan, Jewish street 2, third floor CH-4500 Solothurn with host Urs Zuber

June 8 - 20 I hope to see you in the Netherlands hosted by Aikido Kobukan, Heerenveen
Address: Abe Lenstra boulevard 23Q (ingang S), Heerenveen 8448 JA,

June 18 Amsterdam hosted by David Tesslar and Jan Sijbrandij at David's Dojo: Dojo YukiMizuKumo
Lastageweg 50 (kruising met Nieuweridderweg), 1011 DB Amsterdam-C.

June 19 at Agatsu Aikido Amsterdam West
Studio Seven
1e Nassaustraat 7

June 21 in Oost Souburg (Zeeland)
Saam-aikido
Koopmansvoetpad 81
4388 AS Oost Souburg Netherlands hosted by Hans DeWin

June 22 - 28 join me in Liege Belgium for a week long seminar in Aiki-Leadership Lab hosted by Olivier Gourmet

June 29 - July 5, 2015 in London please come to a week long Aiki-Lab intensive, five days of learning to teach Aikido with the Aiki-Lab system and two days of application.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
CorkyQ
United_States

New date added:

Paris, France June 4,5

Aiki-Lab for non-aikidoka as well as aikidoka

dojo, Goryu à Paris

98 bd des Batignolles, 75017 Paris, Métro Villiers

9h30 -17h30

For more info please contact Pierre Goirand