Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
aikidoka- jalta
Re: New Feature: AikiChat!

hi every body,
i would like to ask a question, what if some body practiced aikido for several years and had to quit for several reasons and after 3 years of quitting his training decided to come back, this practicioner should start from where he stoped or should start from 0 thanks in advance for your replies
Old 02-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Back to Aikido

in our organisation he'd keep his rank if that's what you're asking. but it may be a while before he grades again

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

There is no single policy.

In my mind, it's proficiency that matters anyway and it's going to take the person the same amount of time to get the next rank no matter what.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

FYI, We have a policy at our dojo, If there a student that has previous Aikido training in the past. And has wants to get back in training, He or she if the last rank was a KYU. Will retain it but will be at the bottom of the present kyu in there respected Kyu ranking in the Dojo. And will have to put in the required hours of training to go up to the next rank. Ask for a Yudansha it would be the same situation in testing situation. But if he or she is older by rank he or she would sit to the right of there kohai. One has to respect there age in this situation.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 02-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

I would say that as long as you are going back to the same style you should be recognized for the training that you had already done.

However, I am sure that the instructor would be careful not to expect the same level of uke and understanding from you that you possessed on the day you left. So, as people have already said, in a grading situation it should be based on the current ability and not the time from the previous test.

My few yen,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Once a grade is earned a student, whether for personal reasons or whatever chooses not to attend class, upon return would retain the rank previously earned. I do not think the individuals skill level will be where it was before leaving but as someone else mentioned it will be a while before the person grades again. Sometimes though it can depend on the individual. I can't say without fail that I would recognize a students previous rank even if they had trained at my dojo. Too many scenarios to consider.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
djalley
United_States

I left aikido for almost 10 years and came back to it about a year ago now. My instructor honored me by allowing me to keep my former rank, as our styles were incredibly similar. This also would have saved me about $120 in testing fees over time while I "re-earned" my current rank through practice.

I however opted to start over completely, as I had forgotten most of my training, was seriously out of practice, and rank wasn't all that important to me. Another factor in my decision was that I felt if I was wearing the belt, I had better be able to perform at that level, something I felt I was unable to do. Now, I feel I have earned my rank, and my classmates know that I have "payed my dues" to obtain the current rank.

I do not regret my decision.

D
Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Jerry Miller

United_States
Wink Re: Back to Aikido

We have a fellow Dan ranked who has come back after about a ten year absence. He seems to be managing well and is wearing his hakama. I myself came back after a 32 year absence. I started at the beginning. In my own delusions I thought that I would do better than I am. The style is a little different but close enough. I do not bounce as well as when I was a teenager but I am getting better. I still have not come full circle either in ability nor in Kyu ranking after two years. The most effective thing for me was to come in with a clear head thinking that I know nothing. I remember reading somewhere that someone felt if a kyu rank left for more than a year that they should start at the beginning.

Jerry Miller
Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

We recently had a 1st kyu return after a 5 year sabatical. He keeps his rank, his technique is not bad at all and he uke's almost as well as did before. If someones earned the rank, we let them keep it, and as has been mentioned above, he's still got to put the same amount of time in if he wants to grade up from there .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
markman2025
Dojo: private sessions
Philippines

i guess it all depends on the rank that you were in, if the rank you hold is not that high it would be wise to restart your training from the very start, on the other hand if you hold a belt of say brown or higher i suppose its ok to pick up where you started........
Old 03-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Gerard Miller wrote:
We have a fellow Dan ranked who has come back after about a ten year absence. He seems to be managing well and is wearing his hakama. I myself came back after a 32 year absence. I started at the beginning. In my own delusions I thought that I would do better than I am. The style is a little different but close enough. I do not bounce as well as when I was a teenager but I am getting better. I still have not come full circle either in ability nor in Kyu ranking after two years. The most effective thing for me was to come in with a clear head thinking that I know nothing. I remember reading somewhere that someone felt if a kyu rank left for more than a year that they should start at the beginning.
I came back after a 28 year absence and I know what you mean about not 'bouncing' the same way as before - also have bad knees now. I know more about Aikido now than before, but I still do not think my technique has the fluid movements I had back in the 70s. Obviously, I started at the bottom as well and I just had my first real test since 1977 the other week - still have some things to work on

Greg Steckel
Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Jerry Miller

United_States

Good luck to you Greg. when I was a kid I used to laugh at the adults with knee problems like I have now. I serves me right. At least I knew enough to be able to judge the Dojo that I chose.

Jerry Miller
Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #13
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Rank only means something real inside the same dojo. Hence, if you return to the same dojo with the same teachers, you are likely to return at your previous rank, otherwise, the local teacher will decide, partially, according to your ability.

I would not put too much importance on rank in any case.

Amir
Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #14
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Gerard Miller wrote:
Good luck to you Greg. .
Thanks!

Quote:
Gerard Miller wrote:
when I was a kid I used to laugh at the adults with knee problems like I have now. I serves me right..
It is tough getting old - most students think us old folks do not like taking Ukemi because of all the falling - This is absolutely not true - falling is easy, the hard part is constantly getting back up

One thing that does bother me though is that I have problems keeping up with the faster pace when training with younger students - I get out of breath and just need to slow down for a while to help compose myself, but I feel guilty because my training partner has to wait.

Good luck to you as well

Greg Steckel
Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote:
One thing that does bother me though is that I have problems keeping up with the faster pace when training with younger students - I get out of breath and just need to slow down for a while to help compose myself, but I feel guilty because my training partner has to wait.
Little do you know how often your younger training partner is thinking "Thank goodness, an excuse to take a breath without losing face!"

Seriously, older students are often great training partners because they have long experience of their bodies, aren't as inclined to be impatient, and don't have as much to "prove." We have a 61-year-old shodan who we beg to come to class more often because he's just so much fun to train with, and can teach so much to his partner.

Mary Kaye
(41 and younger than average for my dojo--we're a pretty gray-haired lot.)
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #16
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
Little do you know how often your younger training partner is thinking "Thank goodness, an excuse to take a breath without losing face!"
Well, the other students are really not too much of a problem in this area, it actually is our Sensei. In our dojo, Sensei will show the technique and then train with us as a normal training partner - he is the one with all the energy that wears me down quick. Nevertheless, I think it is a great way to learn - this way you get to feel both sides of the instruction.

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
Seriously, older students are often great training partners because they have long experience of their bodies, aren't as inclined to be impatient, and don't have as much to "prove." We have a 61-year-old shodan who we beg to come to class more often because he's just so much fun to train with, and can teach so much to his partner..)
I can relate to this... I learned a long time ago that all things need to move at a natural pace and will lose substance if rushed, and the only thing that needs to be proved is the fact that nothing really needs to be proved; things just are

Greg Steckel
Old 04-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

After four years of little to no aikido I was allowed to keep my rank when I joined the Boulder Aikikai. That was almost two years ago. I was so rusty I was thinking about demoting myself, but my pride wouldn't let me. :/ You'll have to talk to the instructor about it. Policies may vary.

I've gotten back to where I was when I stopped training and even progressed a bit, but that took time. I'm still embarassingly far behind on weapons, but, unlike with the hand-to-hand stuff, I've prety much had to start fresh in that dpeartment since things are done differently here than they were in my former dojo. Different shihan = diiferent kumitachi and kumijo I guess. It might have been easier to shake the rust off if I'd been able to be more consistenet, but grad school can get in the way of living sometimes.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #18
Joost Korpel

Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai
United_States

I recntly returned to my old Aikido club after a 14 year hiatus. I was a sankyu rank when I left. I spoke to the current head instructor, who said it was fine to keep my old rank. Since sankyu is still a white belt in my club, I didn't feel any pressure to perform at my previous level. I just relaxed and enjoyed my training.

The amazing thing to me is that I couldn't mentally remember many of the techniques, but my body retained muscle memory and just naturally moved through the technique. Granted I was rough around the edges but after about 50 hours of practice and a couple of seminars I'm pretty much back to the level I was when I stopped. As some people have mentioned though, it takes me a little longer to get up from ukemi, particulalry after a high fall

In truth it wouldn't have mattered to me what rank I started at, but I do appreciate not having to pay those testing fees again. Best of luck returning to your practice.