Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
EKoba
Dojo: Kobayashi Dojo in Fuchu, Tokyo
Japan
promotion test

I took the promotion test for shodan on July 15th and passed it! My teacher gave me the hakama and black belt on Tuesday in the dojo. I thought that I could put the black belt on instead of my old brown belt right there, so I just put on my dogi (practice wear) without wearing my old brown belt, and went toward him, holding the front part of the dogi with my hand.
Seeing me, Sensi instantly said, "You have to wear the brown belt. I will give the black belt here to you and then you can change your old one for it." I was such a fool. I hurried back to behind the curtain where we change clothes and put on my brown belt. Then again I went to him sitting on the tatami in the dojo.
I sat on my knees and bowed to him, and he gave me the hakama and the black belt, he saying "Omedeto-gozaimasu." and me saying "Arigato-gozaimasu." He said, "I would like to give them to you in front of the other students to share the happiness, but instead by seeing you practicing wearing hakama, we can celebrate your promotion together."
"The certificate will be given to you in front of the others."
I didn't know how to put on hakama, so our sensei helped me tie the bands here and there. It was a little complicated and I couldn't remember how to do it again later at home. Today I am going to go to the dojo a little earlier to ask for help from our sensei.
It took me four years and ten months to get shodan, starting with the 7th kyu.
Now at least two years of practice is required to take the next test for nidan (second dan). I am looking forward to practicing new techniques such as tanto-dori (techniques against a knife or a short sword) and sword techniques.
http://www3.cnet-ta.ne.jp/c/coby/aikido/kobadojo/
http://www.cup.com/kobayashi-dojo/
Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines
Re: promotion test

Omedeto Gozaimasu, Etsuo-san! Ganbatte kudasai!

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Smile Re: promotion test

Congratulation, Etsuo-san!

I took my shodan test in 2001. Within our organisation, testing for shodan is only possible on major courses. At the end of the course, all the candidates who passed are called in front of Sensei and get their black belt presented. They take off their brown belt and put on the black and then get a lot of applause by all the other Aikidoka present. It is really a memorable ceremony. The certificate usually is given on a later major course in front of all those present.

Simone
Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Congratulations! Good job.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Omodeto gozaimasu Kobayashi-san! I just past my shodan test on July 21 with some fellow students. We are also having the problem of having to put on the hakama. You can find a video on youtube.com with Chida Sensei showing how to put on the hakama and one of his students showing how to fold the hakama.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
AsimHanif

Mike,
I didn't get a chance after testing but...
Congrats. Nice test.

Asim
Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
odudog

Thanks, Asim! No I need to get a copy of the video that was made to see how I look. I'm more concerned about the techniques than all the goofy looks on my face from the pictures posted on the Capital's website.

And by the way, the youtube.com video of how to put on a hakama is by Ando Sensei not Chida Sensei, sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
We are also having the problem of having to put on the hakama. You can find a video on youtube.com with Chida Sensei showing how to put on the hakama and one of his students showing how to fold the hakama.
Ahhh youtube, lessening the responsibilities of senior students around the world Seriously though, do you not have any senior students who can pass this type of info along?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
odudog

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote: View Post
Ahhh youtube, lessening the responsibilities of senior students around the world Seriously though, do you not have any senior students who can pass this type of info along?

Bronson
Small dojo. So those of us that just past are the senior students. Sometimes the instructor might not show up for whatever reason so there would be nobody to tell us how to do it. If you want to practice at home, the video is a great tool to use.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
EKoba
Japan

Thank you so much for your replies to my message. Thank you, Maramba-sensei and others for your congratulations.
The dojo where I go and practice was opened five years ago in 2002 although the head dojo was established in 1969. We had the first shodan holder last November and since then until now six students have passed the shodan promotion test.
We have eight classes a week and most of the students in the adult group are working in the daytime, and senpai (senior) black-belt holders do not always attend the keiko (lesson/practice), or they attend classes that I don't attend or vice versa, which means often there are only white belts and brown belts who do not know how to put on the hakama.
To today's morning practice, one kuro-obi (black-belt) came earlier and he taught me how to do it, and now I think I can do it by myself.
By the way ten people came to today's morning practice starting at 6:30 a.m. and four of them were kuro-obi about which our Sensei looked very happy because he has brought us up always seeing ahead, and he is going to invite the head master (our sensei's sensei) to a party we are going to have at the end of August.
We will practice for one hour under the instructions by the head master and then will have the party at the dojo.
We had the same kind of party last summer and at that time there were only cha-obi(brown belts) and shiro-obi(white belts). But this time, there will be a big difference.
I will write about the promotion test at the site below.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
CitoMaramba

Philippines

Doitashimashite Kobayashi-san
I've been reading your web site. Great stuff. When you have time could you do more translations of Kobayashi-Shihan's blog entries? I enjoyed the story about Watanabe Katsuhiro Sensei.
Your account of the Shodan exam is also interesting. There is a lot of buki-waza in your examination. We also have the ju-san no kata(13) and sanjuichi no kata(31) of the jo in our syllabus
I'm looking forward to October when Kobayashi Shihan will be here in England to give a seminar.
All the best,

Cito

Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
EKoba
Japan

I wrote down all the techniques to be tested on the shodan promotion test. There are surprisingly so many, and four years ago I thought that I would take ten years to get to that level. But kyu by kyu new techniques were added and before I knew I learned a lot. I am really grateful to our sensei for this.
You can see the list of the techniques to be tested for sho-dan of Kobayashi Dojo at the site below.

Kobayashi-sensei's blog stories are all exciting, interesting, and funny, with valuable photos with O-sensei, sometimes. Kobayashi-sensei practiced with O-sensei when he was a student, and he wrote about a video he showed on a bus to a training camp in June this year. In the video he is actually practicing with O-sensei and he wrote in his blog that a lot of applause was given to the video scenes from the participants in the camp. I will try to introduce interesting stories one by one, but I cannot promise.
You can see old photos of O-sensei and Kobayashi-sensei at
http://shihan.exblog.jp/ (Try the entry of December 2005, for example.)

Last edited by EKoba : 07-29-2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: wrong expressions
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
wepdavidson
United Kingdom

Congratulations Kobayashi-san and thank you for the translations of Kobayashi-shihan's blog - I didn't even know it existed (but that's hardly surprising since I don't speak Japanese). Any more you have time to do would be great!

Rgds from London.
Paul
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
EKoba
Japan

Nice photos and humorous comments!
Our senseis always say, "Have fun practicing aikido."
http://www.openaikido.co.uk
Take care.

Last edited by EKoba : 07-29-2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: wrong expressions
Old 08-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
EKoba
Japan

You can read in English the very first entry of the Dojocho Blog at http://www3.cnet-ta.ne.jp/c/coby/aikido/kobadojo/
Kobayashi Sensei started his blog in December, 2005.
The receiver of O-Sensei's throw in the photo seems to be Kobayashi Sensei, but I am not quite sure.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #16
EKoba
Japan

Kobayashi Sensei wrote about the promotion test for 3 dan.
There are so many waza (techniques) to be demonstrated by the candidate.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
CitoMaramba

Philippines

Kobayashi-San,
That is really good stuff! Thanks so much for the translation.
In one of Kobayashi Shihan's blogs, he talks about "Fujihira Koichi, Director of Instructors". I'm guessing that "Fujihira" is another way of reading the kanji for "Tohei"?

Great description of the techniques required for Sandan.
All the best,

Cito

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
EKoba
Japan

Maramba Sensei,
You are right about his name. It is Tohei.
I checked it in Kobayashi Sensei's biography in English:
http://www.cup.com/kobayashi-dojo/english/book/2_3.htm

As you guessed right,
The kanji "To" can be read "Fuji" meaning wisteria.
"Hei" can be read "Hira" meaning even, flat or level.

As a family name, I think Fuji-hira sounds natural, though.
Because he taught Aikido in Hawaii and America, he may have thought that To-hei was easier to pronounce. I am not quite sure. We will have a dojo-cho keiko (practice with the head master) at our dojo on August 25th followed by a party, so I will ask Kobayashi Sensei about this.

As to the sho-dan/sho-kyu (sho=promotion) test, a shodan(sho=beginning dan=1st dan) holder can challenge nidan in two years. I will try nidan (second dan) in probably three years or more.

Last edited by EKoba : 08-07-2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 AM   #19
kenny lee

congratulations on the test ,
i understand the confusion well with the hakama , if you still feel a little awkward asking for help then i would suggest going to the bujin design site on the net , they have a pretty good page explaining how to put on the hakama and also how to fold it afterwards . goodluck .
kenny lee.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #20
EKoba
Japan

Hi Kenny,
Thanks for your info. I have almost mastered how to put on the hakama by being taught by my teacher twice and then by my friend a few times. The knack is to make a protruded knot of the obi in front, on the navel, or a little below the navel, which works as a sort of supporter where upward and donword pulls conflict, and as a result it seems to be making a balance.
As for folding the hakama, when we get the first kyu, our sensei asks us to fold his hakama, by which we learn how to do it.

I mentioned Tohei Sensei in my previous message, and then I thought that Fujihara was his real name. I thought that he wanted his name called in that way because it rhymed with O-Sensei's first name Morihei.
So, I asked our head master about this at a party on the last Saturday in August, and he said that Tohei is the correct name.
Our head master, Kobayashi Sensei didn't talk much about him, though, looked reluctant to.
Anyway, 33 people came to the party. We had keiko from six to seven, then started the party in the dojo, setting several low-legged tables on the tatami, putting plates of sashimi and various kinds of food, and peanuts and crisps, etc.
Many bottles of sake and wine were put on one table and many cans of beer were in the refregirator and we toasted to the health of the head master and ourselves and to the proliferation of the Kobayashi Dojos.
We drank and ate and chatted for three hours until 11:30. I like a party here in the dojo, because people don't have to worry about the time we can spend there. People who use trains have to leave
to catch the last trains, but if they live nearby or come by bicycle like my, they can drink until morning. Actually some sleep in the dojo when they get very drunk.
I got very drunk by the end of the party and went home. Some of them went to a tavern for the second round of it even after that.
I cannot keep up with such heavy drinkers.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
CitoMaramba

Philippines

That sounds like a great party, Kobayashi-san. Especially with the sashimi (oishi!) and the beer and sake...
I think Kobayashi Sensei might be reluctant to talk about Tohei Sensei out of mokusatsu. As you might know, Tohei Sensei formed the Ki no Kenkyukai, and left the Aikikai Foundation in 1974.
Anyway, I very much look forward to Kobayashi Sensei's visit to England in October.

All the best,

CIto

Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Etsuo, thanks for the updates! Miss the sashimi and saki, though...
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
Erik Calderon

Dojo: Erik Calderon's Martial Arts Program
United_States

Congratulations! I heard someone say once, that black belt is just the beginning.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #24
EKoba
Japan

Hello Erik,
You are right. I heard somebody say black belt is the beginning, too. In fact, was that somebody probably me?
The black belt doesn't guarantee the holder's skills. It just shows that he/she passed the test some time somewhere. There are tens of thousands of people who have been practicing for ten years, twenty years or more after they got their black belts. To become a shodan means you can make up your mind to keep improving your Aikido for the rest of your life. (Naturally you don't have to.)
By the way, our Fuchu Dojo in Tokyo celebrated its 5th anniversary last Sunday, Sept. 23rd.
The dojo started in March, 2002, and since then it has been flourishing. We had the first kuro-obi (black belts) in 2006 and now there are six of them, and many cha-obi(brown belts) and shiro-obi(white belts) are following. This is because of our master's excellent lessons. We all are grateful to our techer for the improvement of our techniques. He is really a great master.
150 people participated in the Enbu-kai (Demonstrations) and 100 people attended the party after that. We held the party in our dojo of 42 tatami-mats, putting more than 20 low-legged tables, around one of which four or five people sat, and therefore there was not much space for walking around while drinking and eating. But somehow we had a nice time with dojo-cho(head master) and his wife, his son, vice head master and his wife and their daughter, and our teacher and his wife, and then the members from other Kobayashi dojos present. It wa s typical Kobayashi Dojos' celebration. I saw the entire Kobayashi family for the first time!
Kobayashi Dojo-cho is becoming a legendary figure.
We started the demonstrations at 2 p.m. at a stage in a nearby building. It lasted two hours. And then we moved back to our dojo and started the party for which the people of our dojo had prepared the previous afternoon and evening.
We started it at 5 p.m. with a commemorative speech by the dojo-cho and with the toast by the vice-dojocho. We ended it at 7 p.m. as a formality so that people from distant places could go home, but actually after that many remained and it lasted until 9. I got drunk and everybody got drunk. We really had a nice time. Dojo-cho was so happy and he signed his name on the commemorative T-shirts sold at the party.
Many people drank a lot of beer and sake and ate sushi to celebrate the anniversary.
Finally we closed the party with the auspicious 3-3-4 hand clapping.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #25
EKoba
Japan

You can see some photos of the anniversary activities here.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kobayashidojo/