Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Jaime G
Spain
Internal Training for Aikido Weapons

I'm deeply interested in internal exercises for weapons. Is there any from dan harden, akuzawa...useful por developing aiki in weapons?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Jaime Girona wrote: View Post
I'm deeply interested in internal exercises for weapons. Is there any from dan harden, akuzawa...useful por developing aiki in weapons?
Doing basic suburi is one of the most useful training exercises for internal strength as it covers the basic open/closing of the body, bringing ground strength up, gravity strength down, dantian controlling the jin through the connected frame IF you understand the root components well enough to train them individually and together in the context of the shape - but the weight and length of the sword/bokuto are excellent training tools to provide an appropriate amount of resistance for training purposes while also providing the physical context to practice sending the ki/qi out through something you're attached to.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Jaime G
Spain

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Doing basic suburi is one of the most useful training exercises for internal strength as it covers the basic open/closing of the body, bringing ground strength up, gravity strength down, dantian controlling the jin through the connected frame IF you understand the root components well enough to train them individually and together in the context of the shape - but the weight and length of the sword/bokuto are excellent training tools to provide an appropriate amount of resistance for training purposes while also providing the physical context to practice sending the ki/qi out through something you're attached to.
I'm not sure. A lot of people do suburi, but they dont have internal strenght. Is there something like six directions, silk reeling in suburi?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Ellis Amdur

Absolutely. You just have to train with the correct technique.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Absolutely. You just have to train with the correct technique.
What Ellis says. You need someone to show/demonstrate/teach hands on how to incorporate this into your suburi or aiki taiso.

Gary
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Quote:
I'm not sure. A lot of people do suburi, but they dont have internal strenght. Is there something like six directions, silk reeling in suburi?
Hence why I said IF you understand the based components it's a great exercise to train those things together. If you don't understand the base components of jin, connection, dantien, etc. - no weapon or hand art is going to make you develop them all together in a cohesive manner.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Jaime G
Spain
Re: Internal Training for Aikdo Weapons

And how would you describe an IHTBF in weapons ?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Internal Training for Aikdo Weapons

Well, the way I'd explain the concept is that once you work on various exercises and start developing the feelings inside your body, the application to weapons becomes rather self-evident. The hard part is learning those exercises which generally means spending time with someone who can guide and help you along.

Otherwise... Shrug. Can't help.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
For me, some of the specifics are in Budds replies already.

Opening & closing.

6 directions would always be a constant whether doing weapons or not.

I don't see Bowing excercise mentioned...arguably its covered by open/close anyway.

But unless you have some reference points ....you'll just be doing same old suburi ...what Keith said really.

I guess your next move could be to mine in on the specifics of opening & closing and bowing ....if you can find out more on these then that will help.

Maybe someone a bit more eloquent ....and willing.......... than me will provide some descriptions although they are probably here in abundance in some of the historic posts.

Cheers

D
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Internal Training for Aikido Weapons

before go into weapons, the main question would be, how much have you done in regard to IP/aiki empty handed? and how long? until you have developed enough of IP/aiki into your body, looking at weapon stuffs might mess up the training progression. one of the major danger with IP/aiki training is "too much, too soon". folks get too excited and they end up doing too many things at the same time. been there, done that. my unsolicited advice is to pick one or two things to work on for a year or two, then move on to the next one or two. it's one of those thing where you want to do "one thing well vs 1000 things mediocre".

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org